Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
So ya mama gave u a gift and really she gave u a debt she couldn't pay:hubie:

Nah couldn't be me

My moms know I don't play that shyt

I could see her telling u the whole situation and saying u could have the land if u could settle the lien

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
So ya mama gave u a gift and really she gave u a debt she couldn't pay:hubie:

Nah couldn't be me

My moms know I don't play that shyt

I could see her telling u the whole situation and saying u could have the land if u could settle the lien

She still owns the majority of the total piece. She said she didnt know but they had to have sent letters. Worst come to worse i'll pay the 16k. The loan was for $425k so idk if im willing to start over for 16k.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
When we had the attorney deed us the land & I asked her was their any liens on it & she said no and I took her word for it. That was a mistake

That's a fukk up on the attorney's part as it was their job to double check and see if there was any liens on the property. Even OP should have double checked at the courthouse just to be sure.

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
That's a fukk up on the attorney's part as it was their job to double check and see if there was any liens on the property. Even OP should have double checked at the courthouse just to be sure.

To be fair my attorney said he doesnt do title searches & referred me to another attorney if I wanted to pursue it.

Have any of yall settled a debt before? How was the process?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
To be fair my attorney said he doesnt do title searches & referred me to another attorney if I wanted to pursue it.

Have any of yall settled a debt before? How was the process?

Sort of. We had a situation last year where my grandmothers land ended up being lost because of unpaid taxes (long story.) We ended up having to settle and pay $5,000 to the person who paid the back taxes on the land and had the deed to the property. It was a time consuming process as they had to go to court and such, but all parties were willing to settle so it made the process much easier.

If you want to keep the land, then, your best bet would be to get into contact with the holder of the lien and see how much they are willing to will settle for. Personally, I'd keep the land as it could worth of value years down the road hypothetically speaking if someone wanted to buy it to build a new company or of that nature.

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
OP listen this exactly what you do

1. Re-fiance and roll the debt or (take some of the equity out to pay the debt) in the mortgage which at that amount will only raise your overall mortgage by 100 dollars and you'll probably get a lower interest %. Re-fi through a credit union

2. Take out a separate loan an pay the lien out right.

3. Try to settle if possible for a low amount.

Last edited: