HOPELESS WORTHLESS CAC TEENAGERS ARE GETTING PLASTIC SURGERY TO LOOK LIKE THEIR SNAPCHAT SELFIES

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
How is cutting dikks off to create nanis okay but not this? lol
https://roygbiv.jezebel.com/stop-confusing-gender-dysphoria-with-body-dysmorphia-al-1583049920

Conflation of gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia seems hard to imagine to those who are very well aware of both of these terms. However, it seems to be a fairly common point of confusion in articles about transgender individuals and extremely prevalent in the comments sections of other transgender related articles.

While both serious issues, they are very different. As surprising as it is, even sometimes sources trying to support transgender individuals get it wrong. And the usage of a combined term almost always accompanies other types of errors when speaking about transgender individuals, such as the use of incorrect pronouns or a refusal to recognise the difference between sex and gender. Indeed, because it is so prevalent, especially in tabloid media, it's possible to see it or hear it used by transgender people themselves who are unaware of how that both undermines the reality of gender dysphoria and marginalises the experience of those who suffer from body dysmorphia. This is a lose-lose situation.

In order to understand the differences, and why it is a harmful conflation for both groups of individuals, those with gender dysphoria and those with body dysmorphia, we must look at the differences between the definitions of the two.

According to Britain's National Health Service, the definition of the latter is as follows:

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), or body dysmorphia, is an anxiety disorder that causes sufferers to spend a lot of time worrying about their appearance and to have a distorted view of how they look.

I want the highlight that very last clause, "have a distorted view of how they look." This is crucial to understanding why even the physical aspects of gender dysphoria (sometimes called sex dysphoria to differentiate those aspects from the gender expression and presentation aspects) cannot be compared with body dysmorphia.

To be consistent, I will use NHS's definition of gender dysphoria as well:

Gender dysphoria is a condition where a person experiences discomfort or distress because there is a mismatch between their biological sex and gender identity...This mismatch between sex and gender identity can lead to distressing and uncomfortable feelings that are called gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria is a recognised medical condition, for which treatment is sometimes appropriate. It is not a mental illness.

Body dysmorphia is a term referring to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is characterized by fixating on a particular imperfection in one’s body. About a third of the time, it’s a completely imagined flaw, but mostly it’s something that is real and tangible yet not nearly as big of an issue as the person with BDD perceives it to be.

People with BDD tend to be thinking about this a lot. They dread going out and are always aware and worried about their perceived flaw. They think other people are staring at or thinking negatively of their flaw all the time, even when they aren’t.

There are admittedly several similarities between BDD and gender dysphoria. They both have a lot of anxiety-related components about interacting with other people. They both can preoccupy a person’s mind for hours of every day.

However, they differ in two particularly notable ways.

First, BDD refers to perceived flaws that are generally not significant, and sometimes not even real. People who are attractive may think they are incredibly ugly and obsess over it. But with gender dysphoria, it’s a very real thing. People are constantly interacting with you the wrong way, using the wrong pronouns, grouping you in with people they shouldn’t be, and doing all sorts of things that differ from how they’d otherwise interact with someone of your gender identity. Sure, they might not think negatively about you because of it, but it isn’t about that.

Secondly, people with BDD sometimes get plastic surgery to correct their flaws, but it doesn’t generally help resolve BDD. Even with the flaw fixed, they still obsess over it, as anxious and preoccupied with it as before. With gender dysphoria, that’s simply not true; transition is extremely effective at treating gender dysphoria, and for many people it is effectively a cure...

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-gender-dysphoria-different-than-body-dysmorphia

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Like the Locker Room ain't full of posts on Instagram girls who got all sorts of damn surgeries and crap to look the way they do. :dead:

RehReh

🖤GhettoDolly🖤
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Snapchat disease?

Well colour me pink and call me tootsie