‘I hope I can quit working in a few years’: A preview of the U.S. without pensions

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
this is some straight up pimp-hoe shyt.

[Report] | The End of Retirement, by Jessica Bruder | Harper's Magazine - Part 3
Take fifty-seven-year-old Joanne Johnson, who was dashing upstairs last October at Amazon’s Campbellsville facility when she tripped and fell, striking her head on a conveyor-belt support bar. She was bandaged up at AmCare — an in-house medical station — and then rushed to an emergency room. The episode left her with two black eyes and nine stitches along her hairline. “They let me continue working. They didn’t fire me,” Johnson recalled warmly. And the day after she was injured, a human-resources representative visited the RV she shared with her sixty-seven-year-old husband, a former workamper. Johnson, who had promised her employers that she would never run up the stairs again, was thunderstruck: “We thought that was one of the most amazing things in the world, that he literally took time away to come to our door to see how we were doing.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
They have 80 years olds working full-time at Walmart. That’s a dead giveaway that ain’t happening. Did you ever think once they wipe those jobs away the people will go with them? It means less taxes needed for them.

When these rich a$$holes talk about population control, don’t you realize they no longer need us (poor laborers)?

You guys need to catch up.

yep

people need to give up on that basic income shyt.

None of this shyt is headed anywhere good.

But hey americans did have plenty of opportunities to change course

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
damn, amazon is always at the center of some shyt.
Their distribution centers are meant to be worked by robots. I had someone tell me stories of the one in Delaware that made my eyebrows raised in amazement. Here I am thinking slavery was over and these guys were not told.

The bathroom was 10 minutes away. Their break was only 15 minutes.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
So millions can get their odd, and mundane items without leaving the house....Thousands toil in misery and poverty. Really appalling, but this has been Amazon for a while now.

My Mom is someone who had a UC degree, a full time career in the school system, and was gutted in the Recession. She got a job in the County about 4 years ago, and she'll have full pension and retirement, plus whatever SS she has. But, if she didn't do that, she would be in a hard place, obviously I could help, but often that eliminates any resources and income, that I would be building for myself, which if how poverty and economic hardship is passed down, or one of the ways.

Last edited:

BoBurnz

Superstar
Daps
I believe there will be reparations... and for the life of me can’t understand why anyone of color would offer anything other than complete support(and demand) for redress.

As for the rest of your post, I believe these programs ARE “good ideas” but in practice do nothing more than placate a demographic that’s slowly drowning. So I oppose them... and every other policy which I feel mask the black struggle behind classwarfare.

A gain for the poor isn’t necessarily a gain for blacks.

nikka how does single payer health care "placate a demographic"? How on earth is health insurance being a guaranteed right something you are against?

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines
The Republicans are destroying Medicare and Social Security. The majority of Americans have already been robbed of pensions. 401ks are just another boom and bust with the market granted you even make enough to fund them “properly”. Don’t be surprised when there is a health care crisis that upends the economy and get used to seeing large numbers of homeless and psychically debilitated older Americans. Things are going to hit the fan.