Is it a good idea to join the military if one has no passion?

blqbird

I've been thuggin through my rainy days...
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Christmas of 2019, I will turn 22. As of the time I'm writing this, I have accomplished nothing noteworthy in life, have dropped out of college twice, and have no passions or dreams in general. To put it bluntly, I am lost. I don't know where I'm going. I wanted this year to be the year that I focused on physical/mental health over anything but I'm realizing that those efforts will be entirely fruitless if I do not have goals set in place following them.

The thought of joining the military has crossed my mind more than a few times in the past but out of fear, anxiety, or the idea that I'd be ruining my chances of finding happiness in my supposed "golden years", I wrote it off. Now I'm back at the drawing board hoping something sticks. I like art. I want to become a painter when I get older although it isn't a lucrative profession so I'm looking for something to support that hope.

To make this a short post, I'm simply referring to the question asked in this thread title. Apologies if this post has been asked before or if there appears to be an obvious answer.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Christmas of 2019, I will turn 22. As of the time I'm writing this, I have accomplished nothing noteworthy in life, have dropped out of college twice, and have no passions or dreams in general. To put it bluntly, I am lost. I don't know where I'm going. I wanted this year to be the year that I focused on physical/mental health over anything but I'm realizing that those efforts will be entirely fruitless if I do not have goals set in place following them.

The thought of joining the military has crossed my mind more than a few times in the past but out of fear, anxiety, or the idea that I'd be ruining my chances of finding happiness in my supposed "golden years", I wrote it off. Now I'm back at the drawing board hoping something sticks. I like art. I want to become a painter when I get older although it isn't a lucrative profession so I'm looking for something to support that hope.

To make this a short post, I'm simply referring to the question asked in this thread title. Apologies if this post has been asked before or if there appears to be an obvious answer.
Try it but don't sign a long contract. Maybe check out the military forums over on reddit for more insight

BlaqkSpliffin

Ni**as Still Weird - Me
Daps
Reppin
DMV

I've been where you are OP. I've thought about and still do think about joining the military but that shyt is a big commitment and you can't really back outta that shyt so you gotta do your homework and make sure that shyt is really for you. You younger than me and I still feel like I'm fukking up but also feel like I've got time to figure this shyt out. You do too.

Vaulkner

Banned
Daps
yes it is, im 32 and still in the same boat except my passion is baggin hoes so thats whats kept me from it. I could always do that in the military and my asvab score is pretty high so at this point im almost like fukk it what do i got to lose, cept my girl is naggin me not to go cause she gunna miss this D and she knows them greek hoes gunna be all over it

:mjlit:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
True story, I joined the military to become a better writer.

Wanted the life experience and to gain a better perspective on the world overall. Wasn't gonna get it in college or hanging around my corner of the east cost.

Passion is a broad term, and if you're just generally disinterested or unmoved by a lot of stuff I'd recommend an actual therapist before any binding life decision. You're only 22 - the idea that you gotta have a wad of cash, life's goal, and family in the works at that age is beyond unreasonable. "Accomplishment" at the age of 20 is just.... its okay to not have a trophy case at that age. Despite what media would tell you, that's the norm. The last thing you want to do is throw the stress of a military commitment on top of what's making you so unsure going forward. If you have the opportunity to sit down with a mental health professional or even an unbiased counselor, I'd consider that before stepping into a recruiting office.

Or at the very least talking through what's got you feeling the way you do.

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Bruh, trust me JOIN.

you sound just like my oldest brother and his life has turned to shyt at 40, crippling debt, no goals, no direction, out of shape

I know he wishes he would have joined but can't now. do it OP seriously.

If he gets his rump in shape and has a fairly clean criminal background, he could be granted an age waiver in certain branches.

Am I right, military brehs?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
If he gets his rump in shape and has a fairly clean criminal background, he could be granted an age waiver in certain branches.

Am I right, military brehs?
yeah but that shyt aint for everyone :yeshrug: the military ain't going anywhere.... a 22 year old kid that's not waist deep in any dumb shyt has plenty of time to throw ideas around before making that binding commitment for a few years

Perfectson

Banned
Daps

You don't need passion to join the military. Military will surround yourself with structure and discipline. Play it as a game and also know what you want to get out of it.

You can easily get married, have a family, go to school, make money, travel, etc etc all in the course of 4 years. You will be forced to grow up and you will probably get alot out of it if you put just a tiny bit of effort into it. You will be 26 when you get out and can still do everything you want in life, but now you have experience, money, and hopefully you took advantage of school (and if you didn't you can still use GI Bill and get a degree). I'd say do it and dont think twice - it's a way for people to start over and find direction.

I don't see why ayone would hate it unless they got a fukked up job field or some bullshyt ass assignment.