Is it a good idea to join the military if one has no passion?

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bruh, trust me JOIN.

you sound just like my oldest brother and his life has turned to shyt at 40, crippling debt, no goals, no direction, out of shape

I know he wishes he would have joined but can't now. do it OP seriously.
I barely squeaked in with the age limit so what you are saying is real spit

Legend

Pro
Daps
Someone mentioned because you're interested in art, the military isn't a viable option. That's wrong.

The Army literally has a job where you are a graphics designer. I work with dudes who draw comics for a living, NO B.S! drawings used for propoganda, etc. Got 15" tablets, Adobe suite, they sit they asses down and DRAW all day. Print t-shirts, posters, magazines.

You CAN find your passion in the military, the same way you could in college or any other institution. When you get exposed to new and exciting things, you never know what you night like.

There's a misconception with the military. There's literally every job you can think of. At least in the Army. Other service members can speak to their branches.

The Army just started A PRO GAMING TEAM. If you make the cut, you will be traveling around playing in competitive tournaments for a LIVING!

The opportunities are out there, man. And the military is NOT a bad consideration.

Mr.bocario

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
Contrary to popular the military doesn’t instill
Discipline in people, it just gives people a structured environment and brings out what’s already there

A knucklehead in the civilian world is a knucklehead in the military

But your boss has more control over your life in the military :ufdup:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Someone mentioned because you're interested in art, the military isn't a viable option. That's wrong.

The Army literally has a job where you are a graphics designer. I work with dudes who draw comics for a living, NO B.S! drawings used for propoganda, etc. Got 15" tablets, Adobe suite, they sit they asses down and DRAW all day. Print t-shirts, posters, magazines.

You CAN find your passion in the military, the same way you could in college or any other institution. When you get exposed to new and exciting things, you never know what you night like.

There's a misconception with the military. There's literally every job you can think of. At least in the Army. Other service members can speak to their branches.

The Army just started A PRO GAMING TEAM. If you make the cut, you will be traveling around playing in competitive tournaments for a LIVING!

The opportunities are out there, man. And the military is NOT a bad consideration.
please don't sell that fool's gold :snoop:

first off, the army e sports team is a recruiting method - its OBVIOUSLY not an initial entry type of deal where they sign some dude off the couch, put him in a uniform, and tell him to get his 360 no scopes popping. Its part of their PR department, and as anyone can tell you its hell to get into and hell to stay in. Both the USMC and Army are going on Twitch and Youtube right now looking for content creators to promote for them and just change the image up a bit. They don't need a kid off the street to fit into that box and they're not looking for that either. In regards to PR and such, they want admin, recruiters, and salesmen to interact with the civilian businesses and contractors who absolutely do the job better than they ever could.

Also, if you do manage to be that guy to force yourself in the door regarding graphic design - then you should be able to force that door open as a civilian FAR easier than at a recruiting office. Army contracts half the shyt you're talking about. The jobs you're describing won't even show up on a recruiters desk or even at the end of ROTC :why:

Army's got boxing, singing, modeling and all kinds of shyt... doesn't mean that its ever going to even show up on your radar even after being in for 10+ years.

I'm usually the main one telling guys to entertain the military option if they've got nothing going on but this kid is 22 years old and already sounds like he got some mental shyt cooking up that he needs to work out or at the very least properly identify first....

If you want to pursue art in the military, you do it through experience and branching out. Life by itself is gonna sharpen that tool and the military will give you plenty of it whether you decide to stick with art or not...

Goon for hire

All Star
Daps
do it breh, I have talked to a few of the ogs in this board that have did 20 years enlisted and its some :whew: type shyt forreal.

There’s nikkas with 100k saved, and a contracting job paying 6 figures off this military shyt. And they only in they late 30s early 40s. My uncle did 20 years in the marines and that dude don’t even work no more, just travels and bullshyts around, he is 45.

Compare that to the average person who is still paying off debt working an entry level job and is struggling to make ends meet at 45

I can’t wait to leave for bootcamp :blessed:

Legend

Pro
Daps
please don't sell that fool's gold :snoop:

first off, the army e sports team is a recruiting method - its OBVIOUSLY not an initial entry type of deal where they sign some dude off the couch, put him in a uniform, and tell him to get his 360 no scopes popping. Its part of their PR department, and as anyone can tell you its hell to get into and hell to stay in. Both the USMC and Army are going on Twitch and Youtube right now looking for content creators to promote for them and just change the image up a bit. They don't need a kid off the street to fit into that box and they're not looking for that either. In regards to PR and such, they want admin, recruiters, and salesmen to interact with the civilian businesses and contractors who absolutely do the job better than they ever could.

Also, if you do manage to be that guy to force yourself in the door regarding graphic design - then you should be able to force that door open as a civilian FAR easier than at a recruiting office. Army contracts half the shyt you're talking about. The jobs you're describing won't even show up on a recruiters desk or even at the end of ROTC :why:

Army's got boxing, singing, modeling and all kinds of shyt... doesn't mean that its ever going to even show up on your radar even after being in for 10+ years.

I'm usually the main one telling guys to entertain the military option if they've got nothing going on but this kid is 22 years old and already sounds like he got some mental shyt cooking up that he needs to work out or at the very least properly identify first....

If you want to pursue art in the military, you do it through experience and branching out. Life by itself is gonna sharpen that tool and the military will give you plenty of it whether you decide to stick with art or not...

I don't know OP, so the mental issues you saying he might have isn't my place to say.

You talking like there's jobs that don't require "hard work" to get into. I never said e-sports was available as an elistment option. But it IS an option after you join.
. The Army is not all about just going infantry and dying in Iraq. There are other avenues out there. You can serve the Army in MANY different capacities.

You in the Army? Cause "half the shyt" I was talking about was literally only 2 things. Graphic design and I mentioned the E-Sports team. And those aren't contracts.

OP don't listen to that point, he's wrong. Graphics design is a job for soldiers, they are not contracted to civilians. Look up 25M on goarmy.com. like I said, I work with these dudes.

This poster that quoted me is disqualifying you based on your age, and apparent mental hiccups, which is bullshyt, cause who wasn't at one point or another directionless at that age?? I'll speak for myself, I was. Nothing unusual about that.

Don't give up or not attempt to do something iust because there might be hurdles to get into it. You read what this guy said right? Army got boxing, singing, etc. But in his mind, the fact it might take 10+ years to get it means you shouldn't do it.

Follow that advice and you'll never accomplish anything you want to in life.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I don't know OP, so the mental issues you saying he might have isn't my place to say.

You talking like there's jobs that don't require "hard work" to get into. I never said e-sports was available as an elistment option. But it IS an option after you join.
. The Army is not all about just going infantry and dying in Iraq. There are other avenues out there. You can serve the Army in MANY different capacities.

You in the Army? Cause "half the shyt" I was talking about was literally only 2 things. Graphic design and I mentioned the E-Sports team. And those aren't contracts.

OP don't listen to that point, he's wrong. Graphics design is a job for soldiers, they are not contracted to civilians. Look up 25M on goarmy.com. like I said, I work with these dudes.

This poster that quoted me is disqualifying you based on your age, and apparent mental hiccups, which is bullshyt, cause who wasn't at one point or another directionless at that age?? I'll speak for myself, I was. Nothing unusual about that.

Don't give up or not attempt to do something iust because there might be hurdles to get into it. You read what this guy said right? Army got boxing, singing, etc. But in his mind, the fact it might take 10+ years to get it means you shouldn't do it.

Follow that advice and you'll never accomplish anything you want to in life.
its less of an option than working at the National Cemetery :gucci:

The majority of graphic design, recruitment tool production, etc is contracted out. Army in those sectors operate primarily as procurement, policy, and direct handover. You may as well say the military cooks make all the food... Its simply not the case no matter how many uniformed guys you see behind the salad bar.

There a bunch of MOSs that are always at capacity and won't be seeing a recruiting emphasized need - Graphic Design, Veterinary Assistants, Firefighters, Band, etc all fight under that umbrella. Its incredibly niche, you're immeasurably fortunate to encounter it, and more than anything else its not indicative of what the military experience is or ever will be. That's why I call it fools gold. That isn't a 'hurdle' that's just an unfair picture to paint for people trying to understand everything leading into a life impacting decision.

Yes, I was Army.

If you join the military, Its not high credit scores, thots, and vacations all the time. There's no point in presenting the most unlikely scenarios as a baseline expectation. "You can do it if you put work into it" That applies to even MORE outside of the military :mindblown:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
If you're Black, hell no.

You really wanna sign up to kill innocent Black & brown people for Lockheed Martin/Boeing, etc. . . ?

If you're White and you believe in all that "America, land of the free" type bullshyt, go right ahead.

But I know lots of nikkaz that went to the army and talked about how racist cacs were.

One even got kicked out over a confrontation with one of them.

Just look at the facts

25 vets kill themselves EVERY DAY in Amerikkka

They have an astronomical suicide rate.

Vets end up HOMELESS in Amerikkka at a higher rate than everybody else.

The Shameful Way America Treats Its Veterans

The number of homeless Vietnam veterans today is greater than the number of soldiers who died during the war

By
TESSA STUART
rs-216289-GettyImages-54264709.jpg

President Obama attended a Veterans Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery Wednesday.

Brendan Smialowski/Getty

On Wednesday, President Obama attended a Veterans Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery, where he laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. In his remarks, Obama attempted to strike a balance between highlighting the strides his administration has made in expanding services and benefits for veterans, while acknowledging the ways the country, and the Department of Veterans Affairs in particular, has failed them. “The unacceptable problems that we’ve seen – like long wait times, and some veterans not getting the timely care that they need – is a challenge for all of us if we are to match our words with deeds,” the president said.

Last year a
CNN report showed that at least 40 veterans had died waiting for care at VA facilities in the Phoenix area; the scandal mushroomed when an internal audit found more than 120,000 veterans across the country were left waiting or never got care, even as VA employees were trained to manipulate wait time numbers internally. It’s a scandal that continues to sting. A report published Wednesday shows the VA doled out $142 million in performance bonuses in 2014, the same year it was being investigated for manipulating data. And last month Hillary Clinton came under fire for telling Rachel Maddow the problem has “not been as widespread as it has been made out to be.” (Her remarks stood in contrast to those made by former VA Secretary Eric Shinseki when he resigned last May: “I said when this situation began weeks to months ago that I thought the problem was limited and isolated because I believed that. I no longer believe it. It is systemic.”)

As upsetting as the as the VA’s failures are, they’re the tip of the iceberg for how the United States fails its veterans.

Less than half of the country’s 21.2 million veterans were employed in 2014 — 573,000 were looking for work, while 10.5 million were neither employed nor seeking employment, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Veterans are twice as likely as the average American to be chronically homeless. In fact, more than a third of homeless individuals across the country are veterans — between 529,000 and 840,000, depending on the time of year, according to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans. At this point, the number of homeless Vietnam veterans, male and female, is greater than the number of soldiers who died during the war.

It’s even worse for female veterans, for whom the risk of becoming homeless is four times greater than for male veterans.

According to the VA, about 70 percent of homeless veterans suffer from substance abuse problems, and some 45 percent are suffering from mental illnesses, including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

PTSD diagnoses are on the rise, with as many as 20 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans reporting they have experienced it. Even as those rates are rising, the U.S. justice system is failing to take mental illness into account in criminal trials. A report released Wednesday by the Death Penalty Information Center found that mental health is often not weighed as a factor during trial. The DPIC estimates that there are some 300 veterans on death row today, and many, if not most, of them did not habe their mental health considered at trial.

On Tuesday, Ben Carson closed the GOP debate by saying that during the two hours the candidates stood on the stage “two veterans have taken their lives out of despair.” That statistic was extrapolated from a 2012 VA analysis of veteran suicides in 21 states between 1999 and 2011, so it offers only an incomplete and outdated sketch of the problem. (The VA, with help from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Department of Defense, is apparently working on a more comprehensive study.)

The debate over the number, though, might speak to the United States’ biggest failure of all when it comes to its veterans: not understanding the full scope of the problem.

If you have no passion, GO SEE A SHRINK.

You may be depressed.

Hell, I don't really believe in religion like that, but if you got to GO TO CHURCH.

At least you can always just stop going to church.

If you're in the middle of Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan/Venezuela you cant just turn your life around.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
do it breh, I have talked to a few of the ogs in this board that have did 20 years enlisted and its some :whew: type shyt forreal.

There’s nikkas with 100k saved, and a contracting job paying 6 figures off this military shyt. And they only in they late 30s early 40s. My uncle did 20 years in the marines and that dude don’t even work no more, just travels and bullshyts around, he is 45.

Compare that to the average person who is still paying off debt working an entry level job and is struggling to make ends meet at 45

I can’t wait to leave for bootcamp :blessed:

How were they able to land contracting jobs after their military service was up?

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Political and moral points aside, the military can be a good option for you if you don't have a particular passion for anything.
It provides a new set of structured environments, and a solid number of career fields, alongside pretty great exit options.
Your ASVAB, branch choice, and speciality choice all control how your experience will be though.

I'd recommend taking the time out to research ALL of the benefits, common tricks used by recruiters, branch lifestyle differences (I always recommend Air Force, followed by Navy and Coast Guard), and get in contact with some guys currently in or recently having honorably discharged/retired.

blqbird

I've been thuggin through my rainy days...
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I'm bout to be homeless in a few days so I guess the choice has been made for me. Maybe it'll be good for me. :shaq2:

DuncanWebayama

webayama 7'5" hall of fame loc
Daps
Reppin
french baguittes and chips
I'm bout to be homeless in a few days so I guess the choice has been made for me. Maybe it'll be good for me. :shaq2:
Lol, props for not being so down about this. Breh, join for a short contract. Golden years = BS if you already in the gutter. Best thing you can do now is join the military and not accrue debt. Just save all that up, dont let people try to get you to spend your money. You can also live your golden years in the military, still be fukkin hoes, just dont get a DUI or get deranged. Cuz you gonna be back on square one.