Is it a good idea to join the military if one has no passion?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Christmas of 2019, I will turn 22. As of the time I'm writing this, I have accomplished nothing noteworthy in life, have dropped out of college twice, and have no passions or dreams in general. To put it bluntly, I am lost. I don't know where I'm going. I wanted this year to be the year that I focused on physical/mental health over anything but I'm realizing that those efforts will be entirely fruitless if I do not have goals set in place following them.
The thought of joining the military has crossed my mind more than a few times in the past but out of fear, anxiety, or the idea that I'd be ruining my chances of finding happiness in my supposed "golden years", I wrote it off. Now I'm back at the drawing board hoping something sticks. I like art. I want to become a painter when I get older although it isn't a lucrative profession so I'm looking for something to support that hope.
To make this a short post, I'm simply referring to the question asked in this thread title. Apologies if this post has been asked before or if there appears to be an obvious answer.
Well, there's a couple things.
1. If you aren't into it, you might want to stay away from combat roles. If you are deployed and zoned out just thinking, "Why did I sign up?", you are going to get yourself killed or those around you. Also, look into the Coast Guard, not just army, navy, marines and air force. They train you in what you need to know. That's the good thing. Other jobs, you need education or experience before getting hired. Otherwise, you are behind the 8-ball always competing against others that meet and/or exceed the job requirements.
2. Military is a good stepping stone to get a college degree with the GI Bill paying for the degree. You may find "your calling" while in the military and when you get out, you'll have more personal motive to complete a degree in a particular major.
3. You may want to major in something you might not necessarily be gung ho about, but you can handle it. I'm not in the perfect dream job. But it pays well, I like it and it allows me to do hobbies that I like during my off hours.
4. You are signing your life away. You can't just go AWOL, literally speaking, like a regular 9-5 job. You sort of need to know that you are going to be on a base or ship and can't just leave on a whim. It's a sacrifice, and being half-hearted might make it a sour 4 years of your life. Or you might make some really great friends and help launch your next goals in life. This could be college. This could be just working a regular job where your military background helps you be a leader. Or you could have a career in the military where you take on a supervisory role, sergeant and up.

Good luck.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Lol, props for not being so down about this. Breh, join for a short contract. Golden years = BS if you already in the gutter. Best thing you can do now is join the military and not accrue debt. Just save all that up, dont let people try to get you to spend your money. You can also live your golden years in the military, still be fukkin hoes, just dont get a DUI or get deranged. Cuz you gonna be back on square one.
Can you fukk hoes in the military if you are not good with women?

blqbird

I've been thuggin through my rainy days...
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Lol, props for not being so down about this. Breh, join for a short contract. Golden years = BS if you already in the gutter. Best thing you can do now is join the military and not accrue debt. Just save all that up, dont let people try to get you to spend your money. You can also live your golden years in the military, still be fukkin hoes, just dont get a DUI or get deranged. Cuz you gonna be back on square one.
I did some research and originally I was going to go Navy but now I'm thinking Army. I realized Army does a good amount of traveling almost on par with the Navy (and they go to alot of beautiful foreign cities. Also, I can't swim lmao). Turn it into a career for now. Try for Ranger. If I'm lucky, move up to Beret. If God smiles down upon me and the stars/planets align, I'd have a chance at getting into Delta from being in SF. Final stop would be CIA SAD(ivision) if I wanted to do something outside of the military (and that's if everything goes perfectly) if I get chosen.

I'm not gonna set my sights too high just starting out. I have no issue sacrificing my body to reach the end-goal though. I decided to just throw my life at this and see what sticks (no LT contract at first though). It's not like I have anything else going for me or anyone to worry about. No kids. No girl. No real friends. It's the perfect opportunity for rebirth as far as I'm concerned.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
I did some research and originally I was going to go Navy but now I'm thinking Army. I realized Army does a good amount of traveling almost on par with the Navy (and they go to alot of beautiful foreign cities. Also, I can't swim lmao). Turn it into a career for now. Try for Ranger. If I'm lucky, move up to Beret. If God smiles down upon me and the stars/planets align, I'd have a chance at getting into Delta from being in SF. Final stop would be CIA SAD(ivision) if I wanted to do something outside of the military (and that's if everything goes perfectly) if I get chosen.
What about the air force?

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Air Force
Coast Guard
Navy

In that order. You're 22. This is the best time to make that move if you have nothing going on for you. You're young enough that you can gain a skill and retire before 45. You're also young enough that you can learn a skill that translates to civ life and get out while you're young if you hate it. Twirl your thumbs if you want, but time doesn't stop for any man.

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
If you’re completely messed up and a borderline sociopath then you can just blame it on the military

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

I'm not gonna set my sights too high just starting out. I have no issue sacrificing my body to reach the end-goal though. I decided to just throw my life at this and see what sticks (no LT contract at first though). It's not like I have anything else going for me or anyone to worry about. No kids. No girl. No real friends. It's the perfect opportunity for rebirth as far as I'm concerne
d.
the fukk is wrong with you guy

i know you didn't just google some call of duty shyt, pour your depression on top of it, and call it a plan...

even if your 'dream' is to be a ranger or some high speed combat shyt, your mental isn't good enough to get you through it. let alone basic training

everyone who's joined remembers a few kids who got weeded out early on because they weren't mentally ready to stay on the ball. military is an opportunity, the "find a place to die" shyt you're talking about gets solved by medical professionals, etc. be real with yourself

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Why so many against joining the Army?

I'm not going to tell you that the Army is terrible. There are guys on this board that served happily and I personally have family members that it was very kind too-- financially, anyway. Those same family members also gave me an old adage when I was where you were about 10 years ago;

There are plenty of soldiers that wish they had went Air Force. Theres slim to no Airmen that wish they'd went Army.

Do your homework before joining any branch. Different branches are for different folks. The army may be spectacular for you. Real life ain't call of duty and it isn't quite as glorious as the movies make it look. My cousin thought he wanted to be Rambo & Frank Castle, too.

I keep hearing it's overcrowded.

Why do you think that is?

blqbird

Daps
Reppin
DMV
If you’re completely messed up and a borderline sociopath then you can just blame it on the military
That's quite a negative outlook to have imo. Yeah, I might have to get my hands dirty if I want to move up in rank but that's par for the course. I don't think there's any mental preparation that can aid you in taking a life or seeing a close friend die in combat. You just gotta toll with the punches I guess.
the fukk is wrong with you guy

i know you didn't just google some call of duty shyt, pour your depression on top of it, and call it a plan...

even if your 'dream' is to be a ranger or some high speed combat shyt, your mental isn't good enough to get you through it. let alone basic training

everyone who's joined remembers a few kids who got weeded out early on because they weren't mentally ready to stay on the ball. military is an opportunity, the "find a place to die" shyt you're talking about gets solved by medical professionals, etc. be real with yourself

I don't want to be a Ranger per-say. I'm just looking at every possible occupation that comes along with ranking up. I didn't want it to come across like that though. I'm just not sure I want a desk job.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
That's quite a negative outlook to have imo. Yeah, I might have to get my hands dirty if I want to move up in rank but that's par for the course. I don't think there's any mental preparation that can aid you in taking a life or seeing a close friend die in combat. You just gotta toll with the punches I guess.

I don't want to be a Ranger per-say. I'm just looking at every possible occupation that comes along with ranking up. I didn't want it to come across like that though. I'm just not sure I want a desk job.
Yo, take a real long, hard thought about your career stuff man.

If you follow through with this, its gonna decide the next few years of life - so take it as seriously as you can. Its not like you'll be on the bus out tomorrow anyways. DEP can be up to 6 months or something...

blqbird

Daps
Reppin
DMV
Yo, take a real long, hard thought about your career stuff man.

If you follow through with this, its gonna decide the next few years of life - so take it as seriously as you can. Its not like you'll be on the bus out tomorrow anyways. DEP can be up to 6 months or something...
Quick question though. Sophomore year of HS, I was in NJROTC and I remember taking the ASVAB and iirc getting somewhere between a 45-55. Would that score still be valid or would I have to re-take it? And what branches does that qualify me for?

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Air Force
Coast Guard
Navy

In that order. You're 22. This is the best time to make that move if you have nothing going on for you. You're young enough that you can gain a skill and retire before 45. You're also young enough that you can learn a skill that translates to civ life and get out while you're young if you hate it. Twirl your thumbs if you want, but time doesn't stop for any man.
I am 33 and want to join the air force. I have nothing going for me