Is it me or we currently lack innovation/artistry in production?

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Everything sounds good not goin to front. At the same time. I’m not always trying to turn up. I just don’t want to hear from just the big 4 (Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Ye) and their peers of their era for better and non repetitive production. Or are we simply spoiled by hip hop’s past?

This is just the game now and needs to be accepted?

Say what you want about Kid Cudi. Day N Nite is so Neptune inspired!

Pierre Bourne is dope af but he’s still young.
Madlib don’t work with enough people.

Where the heirs to the Ye’s, Neptunes and Timbos?
Even Kanye’s prodigies; Cudi and Travis Scott are dope but I feel failed to be his heirs.

shyt like this shows you can still be artistic and make fire.

Neptunes

Timbo

Say what you will but beat is nuts and song a but corny but great for what it is.
I appreciate the new school but even their “backpack” equivalent so to speak like Cordae to name one. Production is hip hop to its core but not really interesting.

I think only Tyler is holdin it down.

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

Public Enemy's production team: Hank Shocklee, Keith Shocklee, and Eric "Vietnam" Sadler. If it wasn't for them, we would have never gotten It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back or Fear of a Black Planet.

Their signature sound involved taking multiple samples from various sources (music, television shows, political speeches, radio shows) and combining them to create a "wall of noise." Some of the samples were indistinguishable because of how they were layered on top of each other. They wanted music that could match up to Chuck D's voice because of how powerful it was.

I think they said on Fear of a Black Planet, they used at least 150 samples. It would be impossible to do this now, not because nobody has the ability to, but the sampling costs would be :damn: and a lot of people would be going to court. When Public Enemy was around, sampling laws weren't intact because hip hop was still new so companies/older artists hadn't caught on to what producers were doing yet. The Bomb Squad took advantage of that and made their own style of beats because back then, nobody could tell them no.

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sometimes having too many options so freely available limits your creativity. :yeshrug:

I can't even remember the last time I heard a clever flip of a sample let alone some mind blowing production.

Cheese McNair

Bought it this morning, drive it like I stole it
Daps
Tyler(doesn’t work with enough artists), Cardo, Chuck Inglish, and Cookin Soul are good but none of them are as big as Neptunes/Timbo was.