Is there a better option than blindly down balloting?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Brehs and brehettes. I'm going to try to talk about a political strategy. I hope we can all stay on topic and not devolve into pages of shytting on YT personalities.

Blindly down balloting for a political party does keep a antagonist party from overwhelming majority if not a win. But it feels like the same ole thing of putting all our eggs in one basket and hoping none of them break. 50 years of voting Democrat hasn't brought the results we wanted. In some ways, we've gone backwards or completely stagnant, both politically and socially.

Not voting (which is what I did in 2016) leads to very real consequences, ie. Trump, incompetent judges in lifetime positions, SC picks. Not voting on the federal level can only truly work if you have your local leaders from city council to the statehouse on lock. Which black people do not.

When it comes to our local vote (ex: city, county, state, sheriff, judge, DA), is it better to down ballot one political party or have the community agree on an alternative person who meets their needs the most? Or is putting a protest name acceptable (ex: #ados)? Is there any political/voting alternative that could gain the most favorable results for our people?

For more information: Down Ballot: What Does It Really Mean in Politics?

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
@For Da Bag what you described is not down ballot voting

down-ballot
or down-tick·et
[ dohn-bal-uh t or dohn-tik-it ]
adjective
relating to or noting a candidate or political contest that is relatively low-profile and local compared to one listed in a higher place on the ballot:Very popular presidential nominees often cause down-ballot candidates to win.

Asicz

Daps
The down ballot process is from what I see a negotiating strategy but with votes.

Voting is an exchange not a gift. Black people have been gifting their vote for to the dems.

LGBTQ get specific tangible because they Demand and organize to get things from the dems.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
The down ballot process is from what I see a negotiating strategy but with votes.

Voting is an exchange not a gift. Black people have been gifting their vote for to the dems.

LGBTQ get specific tangible because they Demand and organize to get things from the dems.

The problem, IMO, of a black agenda is that black agenda can look like a CVS receipt. Other groups tend to have 1 to 5 major issues that they coalesce around and demand. Black people have just about every problem a person can think of. Therefore their demands get watered down or just given to everyone black or non-black. The best thing to come out of 2016 if not the 2018 midterms is the talk of reparations. That is the one singular purpose the majority of black people (the majority being African-American) can agree on.

In the meanwhile, when it comes to getting things done for a black agenda, I think Tavis Smiley's Covenant with Black America lays out a very good list of issues we need to get government to get on.

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta

Down-ballot and down-ticket are words that are used to describe the offices, and those people running for those offices, that fall below the most important race candidates on the ballot. The “important” candidates are those that are national, like the president. The down-ballot nominees (and more) are state and local choices.

The outcomes of down-ballot votes are influenced mostly by how many people come out to vote in the local area. They aren't controlled by things like the electoral college.​

More info: Down Ballot: What Does It Really Mean in Politics?

It really depends. It's a personal decision -- and it depends if you are extremely party loyal.

For instance, many Black people are registered Democrat - because of legacy. But, a lot of us are also Independent or not registered with a party at all - "No Party Preference (NPP) voters. NPP voters. " We just usually vote Democrats.

First everyone should understand how Primaries work in their states. Primary election - Wikipedia

Find out if you state is Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, Semi-Open, Blanket, etc. Cause that affects if you can vote in primaries or not. It's one of the causes of voter suppression during primary elections.

It all comes down to being educated and informed on whose going to be on your ballot. And sadly, many of us are not. We also have to reach out to candidates before voting and ask them via their office meeting, call or email/fax how they support certain issues that are important to you and your community. Then make your decision from that.

But, if you don't wanna do that - but you wanna vote anyway - then either just pick a name or pick a party. Most people just pick a party and "vote-down" ballot Dem or Rep or Independent.

Asicz

Daps
The problem, IMO, of a black agenda is that black agenda can look like a CVS receipt. Other groups tend to have 1 to 5 major issues that they coalesce around and demand. Black people have just about every problem a person can think of. Therefore their demands get watered down or just given to everyone black or non-black. The best thing to come out of 2016 if not the 2018 midterms is the talk of reparations. That is the one singular purpose the majority of black people (the majority being African-American) can agree on.

In the meanwhile, when it comes to getting things done for a black agenda, I think Tavis Smiley's Contract with Black America lays out a very good list of issues we need to get government to get on.

On the Ados101.com black agenda section for ADOS

There are 14 different items describe as a black New Deal.
Transformative policies involving Affirmative Action for ADOS specifically,
15% Small business loans from Small Buisness Admin. to ADOS , Prison reform, Employment data on hiring practice and enforcement of monitoring data on employment.

I think getting these things are doable if black Ameircans have the demonstrate fortitude to press for these things.
Also congress peoples jobs and govt. Offials are literraly to work develop policy they have the experience to do this. That is literraly the job of the Federal Govt and their employees.

Unfortunately I believe we as black people have had a culture of avoiding this type of activity for decades. While others got on their business.

Asicz

Daps
Post from other thread around down ballot voting.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/the...nership-with-ados.744420/page-4#post-35596170

It may seen funny or defeating the purpose to some but

If black voters pledge to arrive at the polls and for the presidential candidate box leave it blank/ADOS if no black agenda no reparations platform from Democrats. It will send a message to respect the black vote.
Example.

Local Democratic Congressman leave blank write in ADOS

Mayor box: leave blank/ write in ADOS

Court Clerk leave blank/ write in ADOS

More often than not someone on the democratic ticket a black votee may vote for but if the local official like a mayor or court clerk is really horrible show up leave it blank/ write in ADOS.

If a sizable amount of black voters did this and engaged their local politicians behind the scenes the effect would be powerful.

In subsequent elections do the same.

I don't know what to tell anyone if they can't understand this concept.

Does anyone understand what I just posted? Dap if you do!

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
So let's assume that the President is great, but the locals are all trash in a blue state. And down ballot you just put #ADOS on all of them.

What is the expected result? Or even next step?

Asicz

Daps
Eddie Glaude clip that ADOS has referenced on down voting for black people at the bottom of the twitter thread. Disregard the Capeheart tweet at the top.

Last edited: