IT nikkas... Assemble. I need some assistance

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
gotdamn Im stupid:snoop:

So basically I'm trying to enroll in school.. Actually I am already enroll just didn't pick classes

I have 64 credits as of now (probably more if I add certain certs like A+ and my MCP shyt) pretty sure I could get an associates if I take just the general courses but I had an issue with my new school transfering my credits for the bachelors degree program I enrolled in...

Basically, they only gave me 15 out of those 64 transferred credits and I was pissed so I gave them the:camby:

I was especially pissed because they did not transfer all the A+/Sec+ Bullshyt because I was grandfathered in I actually have the certs and the cards.. For everything. But they said it must be between 3 years of cert for them to accept it as an accreditation.

Anyway, I was dumb and didn't really go through the course description.. A lot of it is bullshyt that I already have or have done before. The school is a "work at your own pace" online type place and you basically have 6 months to finish 3-4 classes (which isn't shyt).

I'm trying to figure out now what degree direction I should go in. I only got a transfer transcript for one degree program, but there are others that I have more experience and I didn't realize that until a few hours ago. If I transfer to other programs, I might get better results.

Basically, which program would you guys recommend:

BS in Cybersecurity: (1-4 years average to complete, 14 certifications, Prelude to Masters program thats based in Ethical Hacking Certification that I'm currently taking a Udemy course in and very interested in. I have a previous experience with Sec+. Able to skip 4 classes.. 3 general and 1 advanced)

BS in Software Development: (5 certs, by far the fastest to complete, at most 2 years. only able to skip 3 classes, 2 general courses and one advanced. Basically doing coding but you can be creative and design shyt)

BS in Information Technology: (12 certifications, mostly Comptia which are easier. 6mo-3years average time. Able to skip 5 courses)

Or BS in Network operations: (what I'm currently enrolled in. 14 certs, average completion 6-36months. Comptia and Cisco/CCNA/CCNP based. Currently have most experience in this field. Able to skip 5 classes)

What do you guys recommend? I'm honestly leaning towards cyber security BUT Software would take less than 2 years.. But I don't have any background in coding.

I really want that ECH cert but not sure if I want to go back into the security field. Don't want to deal with any security agencies anymore.

Any advice?

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
All of these will keep your bills paid but u need to figure out which one suits your natural talents and is the least annoying for you.

Example: i make decent bank now as a project consultant but i wouldve been paid more and faster if i started as a Dev, but i already knew i couldnt stand coding so i went the infrastructure route and worked my way up to PM.

Do the one that will feel the easiest to you, but CyberSec is the one in highest demand right now that will pay the most.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
All of these will keep your bills paid but u need to figure out which one suits your natural talents and is the least annoying for you.

Example: i make decent bank now as a project consultant but i wouldve been paid more and faster if i started as a Dev, but i already knew i couldnt stand coding so i went the infrastructure route and worked my way up to PM.

Do the one that will feel the easiest to you, but CyberSec is the one in highest demand right now that will pay the most.
Yeah I'm leaning more in that direction but it seems to be the harder/longer course.. I honestly would be just satisfied with 2-3 more certs and an associates. Not sure how long it would take to get a bachelors right now. I could get an associates in 6 months.

I'm tempted to just study and try to get the CEH on my own. Then redo my transcripts and probably skip a bunch of shyt but I'm not sure how productive that would be. Maybe study it on the side and take it then reapply it when I go for masters.

Basically just that cert alone starts you off at 95K. I wouldn't mind doing white hat operations for companies or maybe consulting for the military

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Btw, it seems like a lot of certs but I hear most people don't stay for too long. Probably why they gave me such low credit transfers, to keep me in and get that money

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
@O.T.I.S. Tbh Cybersecurity is the way to go. It’s only longer because anyone knows you’ll be eating off that field. If you don’t wanna waste time, do the Software Development and go back for Cybersecurity- if you have the heart to :yeshrug:

I was originally majoring in Cybersecurity but the timeframe got me :francis: too so I switched over to Health Information Systems which is also in demand. I actually like school so I don’t mind finishing this program and going back in for Cybersecurity.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

So basically I'm trying to enroll in school.. Actually I am already enroll just didn't pick classes

I have 64 credits as of now (probably more if I add certain certs like A+ and my MCP shyt) pretty sure I could get an associates if I take just the general courses but I had an issue with my new school transfering my credits for the bachelors degree program I enrolled in...

Basically, they only gave me 15 out of those 64 transferred credits and I was pissed so I gave them the:camby:

I was especially pissed because they did not transfer all the A+/Sec+ Bullshyt because I was grandfathered in I actually have the certs and the cards.. For everything. But they said it must be between 3 years of cert for them to accept it as an accreditation.

Anyway, I was dumb and didn't really go through the course description.. A lot of it is bullshyt that I already have or have done before. The school is a "work at your own pace" online type place and you basically have 6 months to finish 3-4 classes (which isn't shyt).

I'm trying to figure out now what degree direction I should go in. I only got a transfer transcript for one degree program, but there are others that I have more experience and I didn't realize that until a few hours ago. If I transfer to other programs, I might get better results.

BS in Cybersecurity: (1-4 years average to complete, 14 certifications, Prelude to Masters program thats based in Ethical Hacking Certification that I'm currently taking a Udemy course in and very interested in. I have a previous experience with Sec+. Able to skip 4 classes.. 3 general and 1 advanced)

BS in Software Development: (5 certs, by far the fastest to complete, at most 2 years. only able to skip 3 classes, 2 general courses and one advanced. Basically doing coding but you can be creative and design shyt)

BS in Information Technology: (12 certifications, mostly Comptia which are easier. 6mo-3years average time. Able to skip 5 courses)

Or BS in Network operations: (what I'm currently enrolled in. 14 certs, average completion 6-36months. Comptia and Cisco/CCNA/CCNP based. Currently have most experience in this field. Able to skip 5 classes)

What do you guys recommend? I'm honestly leaning towards cyber security BUT Software would take less than 2 years.. But I don't have any background in coding.

I really want that ECH cert but not sure if I want to go back into the security field. Don't want to deal with any security agencies anymore.

Any advice?
Are you doing WGU?

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
@O.T.I.S. Tbh Cybersecurity is the way to go. It’s only longer because anyone knows you’ll be eating off that field. If you don’t wanna waste time, do the Software Development and go back for Cybersecurity- if you have the heart to :yeshrug:

I was originally majoring in Cybersecurity but the timeframe got me :francis: too so I switched over to Health Information Systems which is also in demand. I actually like school so I don’t mind finishing this program and going back in for Cybersecurity.
Im definitely leaning in that direction...

I honestly want to just get this out the way so I can start the CEH.

I already have a Sec+... CEH is just intermediate. I'm almost thinking about going to a bootcamp in about a month or so then just taking the exam.

Study the UDEMY courses and take exams until then.

I don't even care to use it, I just think it's interesting af. I wouldn't mind going overseas for a few month doing some white hat stuff and popping back up.

I just need to know if I get the cert will it be worth something if I go to the school.

That's honestly the direction I'm leaning towards. I think I already missed the enrollment period for the school so if I got to wait, why not get the cert?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Im definitely leaning in that direction...

I honestly want to just get this out the way so I can start the CEH.

I already have a Sec+... CEH is just intermediate. I'm almost thinking about going to a bootcamp in about a month or so then just taking the exam.

Study the UDEMY courses and take exams until then.

I don't even care to use it, I just think it's interesting af. I wouldn't mind going overseas for a few month doing some white hat stuff and popping back up.

I just need to know if I get the cert will it be worth something if I go to the school.

That's honestly the direction I'm leaning towards. I think I already missed the enrollment period for the school so if I got to wait, why not get the cert?
Seeing as you have way over 5+ years IT experience, you should get your CISSP cert.

Behind-the-wheel

Living dead
Daps
Reppin
Death

Same here. I'm about done with the cyber world. I'm moving over to Health Information Systems as well...since that's what I mainly develop for the Army anyhow.
Plus...it's more interesting than sitting in a dev lab tinkering away. I miss working with more people than machines.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
You're not considering the B.S. in Cloud & Systems Administration? That's the degree I'm leaning towards down the line.
It crossed my mind

But I don't have much experience or interest in cloud though.

If I get the CEH before that then maybe

I do have 4 classes already completed though, and most certs are Comptia which aren't really difficult imo:patrice:

I'm so torn:snoop:

Anyway, has anyone heard good things about WGU?

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

Any advice?

CyberCec is going to be the one to roll to imo. With the right connects you can land anywhere because virtually every large company needs it and will need it for the foreseeable future.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Same here. I'm about done with the cyber world. I'm moving over to Health Information Systems as well...since that's what I mainly develop for the Army anyhow.
Plus...it's more interesting than sitting in a dev lab tinkering away. I miss working with more people than machines.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don’t mind the customer service aspect, anything medically related will always be in demand so job security AND I will be able to do IT like I always wanted :yeshrug: so many wins across the board. I prefer to see how I like it before going back to school to continue pursuing anything else.

Last edited: