Korryn Gaines And The Rejection of Mental Illness Within The Black Community

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Korryn Gaines, the woman who was killed in her home after a 6 hour stand off with the police was in fact mentally ill. I have friends and family who are mentally ill and she showed many signs.

Paranoia, Delusions, agitation, unjustified fear, etc. During that traffic stop that cop was being very fair, patient, and considering of her and her child. She kept asking him for his identification and for him to identify herself when he already did multiple times. She also felt as if she was above the law and that the laws didn't apply to her.. now I don't know if that was some type of bs she read online or part of her mental illness.

She thought the police was going to kidnap her children if they arrested her. She was even placing fear and paranoia into her 5 year old son who didn't understand why she was doing what she was doing.

Why didn't anyone seek help for her? Why is mental illness such a taboo within the black community? I haven't read her facebook posts as facebook deleted the most recent ones, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were filled with paranoia and fear about the police and government being out for her when she was just ordered to show up to court for driving without a license plate and whatever else.

King Poetic

A.K.A. Duke Illington
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SeaBed
Social media dooming a lot of blacks mentally

So many of us get on that shyt to hide our pain in real life..

I can't tell u the number of fukked up brothers and sisters I know who has all these Facebook and Twitter accounts believing they are some Hollywood stars but once they offline it's a whole different back to real world life of struggle

Piffery

All Star
Daps
1)Large portions of black people don't deny the existence of mental illnesses, I think it's more common to see that stuff in low income or education communities regardless of race or among people uncomfortable with saying anything they believe takes away personal responsibility from individual
2)And the black people people who do deny like coliposters it do so because they associate it with white people and want to falsely and desperately believe they're any different than them so denying mentall illness is apart of that.

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
It's about the dehumanization of black people. White people don't know how to act when they see black people having human problems. They think we're incapable of feeling sadness, happiness, etc. I knew a white kid who didn't think black people could cry.

Actually now that I think about it. Having white friends was a bad idea. When I was severely depressed in college (and it was VERY obvious) they treated it as a non-issue. Not real. A figment of my imagination. I was 'making excuses' and 'playing victim'. At the time I thought it was just a 'man thing' to not show sympathy to another man going through some shyt. But maybe it was a racial thing all along.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
I don't understand why you are trying to place blame on her and the black community in the situation. Even if she did have a mental illness why was she murdered?
Did I say that her death was justified? What in my post insinuates that it is her fault? How can I fault someone who is mentally ill? All of this could have been prevented if her family got her the mental help she needed. She was clearly mentally ill, and yes the police are at fault and could have handled the situation differently. They could have thrown gas bombs or bombs that would blind her and infiltrate her home without having to kill her.

This thread isn't even really about the case, more so the black community and it's unwillingness to accept that mental illness exists, the reality that it need to be treated and the consequences of not doing so.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
White supremacy is WHY she died not mental illness smh
Did I say that's why she died? No I didn't.

And don't act like white people aren't victims of police misconduct either.. all this white supremacy bullshyt. So a non white cop unlawfully killing a citizen is because of white supremacy too right?

No, it's because of police misconduct and them getting away with doing illegal things.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Social media dooming a lot of blacks mentally

So many of us get on that shyt to hide our pain in real life..

I can't tell u the number of fukked up brothers and sisters I know who has all these Facebook and Twitter accounts believing they are some Hollywood stars but once they offline it's a whole different back to real world life of struggle
That Virtual Happiness Syndrome.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
1)Large portions of black people don't deny the existence of mental illnesses, I think it's more common to see that stuff in low income or education communities regardless of race or among people uncomfortable with saying anything they believe takes away personal responsibility from individual
2)And the black people people who do deny like coliposters it do so because they associate it with white people and want to falsely and desperately believe they're any different than them so denying mentall illness is apart of that.
Yes it is taboo. It is so taboo that mentally ill people will deny until the end of time that they are sick because of how taboo it is. "There is no way I'm crazy, haha you cannot be serious!".

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
I don't understand why you are trying to place blame on her and the black community in the situation. Even if she did have a mental illness why was she murdered?
Right on time people come in here with this. I don't see where OP stated this at all.