Malik Yusef : "Kanye West Is Bi-Polar/Schitzo And Doesn't Take Meds"

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
Chicago poet/producer/film maker Malik Yusef recently showed some hometown love when he stopped through to discuss his work flow and collaborations on the Drea O Show [aired Monday, April 25th]. The 5-time Grammy Award winning artist shared news on his new book,Infrared Poetry;Love Letters to a City, a short film/video titled Trouble in the Water featuring Common, and an album he is set to drop in the summer. He also cites his writing credits on Beyonce'sLemonadeproject and speaks about his involvement in the making of long time collaborator Kanye West'sThe Life of Pablo.

"It's always the same, working with Kanye, you know, it's always very difficult, it's always a task of great arduity, it's always an argument it's always a fight," West's respected mentor expounded. "Sometimes even a genius needs to have direction. Sometimes it's hard to give a brain that big and that powerful some directions."

Albeit the focus of the interview would transition to encompass much more than Yusef's experience with the superstar, he spoke of his insight into Ye's enigmatic aura from a very intimate and personal place; so much so, that he opened up with candor on the matter of Kanye rejecting evaluations of his mental health. "He doesn't take his medication because he chooses not to, and I applaud him for that," Malik said. "Whatever they prescribe you for like bipolar or schizophrenia, whatever they diagnosed him as ... but that doesn't mean anything, you know, they can diagnose you as all kind of stuff, that doesn't mean you have to adhere to those principles. And Kanye doesn't adhere to it."

The topic of Kanye's state of health surfaced in early February when Rhymefest, who has also long been a tight member of his circle, suggested that the legendary musician/designer needs spiritual and mental counseling. "I want my friend to be healthy, and healthiness is happiness. I want him to be happy, and if he's not happy, I'm concerned. ... I think sometimes we get concerned with entertaining the public when we should be concerned with being happy," Rhymefest said at the time. West's continual relationship with Yusef by all indication has been a stabilizing one, with the GOOD Music partner noted for stepping in the mediate when 'Ye went off on Wiz Khalifa early this year. Helping people he told Drea, is a big reason for why he does what he does, responding to her question as to why he continues to return to Chicago by stating: "The fact that people need help, and I'm a servant. I'm just born like that, that's who I'm made to be. I do it despite the pain that it causes sometimes, despite the financial losses I take, I do it anyway. If I can just save one person. I discovered Kanye, he needed some help, so, there might be another Kanye somewhere around here."

Yusef's involvement in the Respect My Vote campaign is one way the artist/activist revealed his remains active in the lives of Chicagoans. He went on to address police brutality and poverty, professing that the campaign focuses in on such issues on the ground as he called all politics local. In addressing the tragic state of violence in the city he spoke optimistically about solutions, offering that "most of the violence is about stress and resource acquisition. So we can relieve the stress by providing the resources. In a resourceful environment people are going to be less violent." Ultimately, Malik Yusuf has been very busy, he reveals, when not helping craft lyrics and produce music, helping in the personal lives of those around him and in the welfare of the greater community.

Kanye's Co-Writer Malik Yusef: Kanye's Bi-Polar/Schizo & Doesn't Take Meds

DonRe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not surprised his behavior is that of a bi-polar madman who needs validation.

Check his speech at the Phife memorial, he yelled he lived next to a dentist then went on another subject. dude is sporadic.
He seems to become less personable which is what a lot of people liked him for when he first began rapping. He was arrogant but seemed relatable.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY

Check his speech at the Phife memorial, he yelled he lived next to a dentist then went on another subject. dude is sporadic.
He seems to become less personable which is what a lot of people liked him for when he first began rapping. He was arrogant but seemed relatable.

i'm guessing he's still goin thru it after losing his mother, so it's not surprising. that kind of stuff can really take a toll on a person.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm guessing he's still goin thru it after losing his mother, so it's not surprising. that kind of stuff can really take a toll on a person.

emotional trauma can trigger mental health issues.

When Rhyme-fest was saying all that people were saying he was hating or bitter but it turns out he was 100% on the ball

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
emotional trauma can trigger mental health issues.

When Rhyme-fest was saying all that people were saying he was hating or bitter but it turns out he was 100% on the ball

guess he was spot on after all. i don't think him being with The Kardashians is helping him either. but he's got a daughter and a son now so he's basically stuck :yeshrug:

Daps
Lexapro, Kanye, & Me: Molly Lambert On The Ghosts Of SSRIs

"it was bizarre that none of the prescribing doctors could explain exactly how the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) worked. The terminology they used was so vague: Your brain makes the happiness neurotransmitter serotonin, and in a person who is depressed or anxious the serotonin gets absorbed back into the brain (where?) too quickly. SSRIs ostensibly slow down the reabsorption process. It was described to me in a way that implied it was too complicated to explain, which also sounds suspiciously like someone who doesn’t fully understand what they’re talking about.

...when the withdrawal really set in. I experienced the phenomenon known as “brain zaps,” which feels something like it sounds — like a chill down the spine but in the brain. I felt crazier than I had ever felt in my life, alternating between feeling terrified of leaving the house and leaving the house and then feeling terrified to be there. I felt scared to be alive, all the time, and lucidly aware of how mentally imbalanced I felt. I self-medicated mostly with bong hits and tried to get back on the Paxil, but it no longer worked. When I told the doctors about the side effects I was experiencing, they essentially told me I was not experiencing anything like that, and I felt like I was dealing with the gaslighting “in on it” doctor from Rosemary’s Baby.

But hearing Kanye talk about going off his Lexapro, I started to reframe his recent run of Twitter sprees as something other than just record promo...People are afraid to talk about mental health because it’s traumatizing, and nobody wants to be seen as a nut. Like Tony Soprano’s, Kanye’s mental health is wrapped up with his machismo and specific mother issues..."

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
The Dentist reference was a reference to a Chris Rock joke. Notice he mentions 'Dave Chappelle' after that - he probably got them confused.

Chris Rock said rich black people with endless accolades and fame end up living next to white Dentists. They not THAT rich and that's the successful ones.

Dotcom

OnAComUP
Daps
Kanye never showed emotion from his mother's passing... I wonder did he ever get over that

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown

Forgot the whole context but he was referencing the Chris Rock "I live next to a dentist" joke...at the time it fit with his speech.

I def agree with the rest tho