Method Man - Tical 25th Anniversary

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People were let down by the album.

Im kind of surprised they're doing a "25th anniversary" because the album didnt get much love.

Meth was the most popular one out of the group at the time...but I think people were expecting more tracks like Method Man and the joint w/ Mary J.

Sure, Method got talent and he got the "Marketable star" than rest of WU members so that's why WU-members called him "a pretty boy" and Method didn't like they called him a "Pretty Boy" which is why you see why Method Man tried hard with wild hair and one color eye like he's a gritty rough street dude.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Let me ask u a question, of course, Method was popular at that time but was Tical forgettable after you listened to OB4CL, Liquid Swords, Ironman, Return to the 36 Chambers?

Jilla82 doesnt speak for NYC at all. Everything he said is the opposite of what I remember in the city.

I was working after school at the world trade center and spending my lil money on weed and chinese food and that tape was my go to...I had both Tical and Keith Murrays first album on 1 tape. And the Tical side always got more burn. And too me I felt that Tical slighted Redmans Darkside album which was also my go to Late 94. Early 95 I remember the reaction the crowd had in Minisink when Shorty started singing and then the beat dropped and Meth started rapping on Release Yo Delf. I'll never forget that reaction. Cutting school with my friends...Putting on Tical and everyone repeating "Whats that shyt u think u smoking" as track 1 commenced. Hot 97 gave all 3 singles love and the played the All I Need remix nonstop. U ask if it was forgettable. Dude...Meth was the best rapper on the planet when that album dropped. Some teenager got killed in a debate over who was the best between Biggie, Nas and Meth. Biggie had to get on Hot 97 and do a PSA indirectly addressing it. I remember a few months later ODB had to do a PSA right before his song Shimmy Shimmy Ya came on letting people know he only likes his music "raw" because there was an issue of him promoting unsafe sex on that song. Was Tical forgettable after those other Wu releases? Hell no.....I always felt that album was perfect, grimey and gritty hip hop at its finest. Biscuits and the original All I Need sounding like video arcade game beats. The sinister sound of What The Blood Clot. What The Blood Clot is what gave me my angel dust curiosity due to Rza making it sound cool at the end of the song. I will always attribute What The Blood Clot being the reason why I got into PCP at one point. Those other albums never did that tho Cuban Linx did have me curious to taste Cristal. Never forgetting what influences a person to smoke Angel Dust is the exact opposite of something being forgettable.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jilla82 doesnt speak for NYC at all. Everything he said is the opposite of what I remember in the city.

I was working after school at the world trade center and spending my lil money on weed and chinese food and that tape was my go to...I had both Tical and Keith Murrays first album on 1 tape. And the Tical side always got more burn. And too me I felt that Tical slighted Redmans Darkside album which was also my go to Late 94. Early 95 I remember the reaction the crowd had in Minisink when Shorty started singing and then the beat dropped and Meth started rapping on Release Yo Delf. I'll never forget that reaction. Cutting school with my friends...Putting on Tical and everyone repeating "Whats that shyt u think u smoking" as track 1 commenced. Hot 97 gave all 3 singles love and the played the All I Need remix nonstop. U ask if it was forgettable. Dude...Meth was the best rapper on the planet when that album dropped. Some teenager got killed in a debate over who was the best between Biggie, Nas and Meth. Biggie had to get on Hot 97 and do a PSA indirectly addressing it. I remember a few months later ODB had to do a PSA right before his song Shimmy Shimmy Ya came on letting people know he only likes his music "raw" because there was an issue of him promoting unsafe sex on that song. Was Tical forgettable after those other Wu releases? Hell no.....I always felt that album was perfect, grimey and gritty hip hop at its finest. Biscuits and the original All I Need sounding like video arcade game beats. The sinister sound of What The Blood Clot. What The Blood Clot is what gave me my angel dust curiosity due to Rza making it sound cool at the end of the song. I will always attribute What The Blood Clot being the reason why I got into PCP at one point. Those other albums never did that tho Cuban Linx did have me curious to taste Cristal. Never forgetting what influences a person to smoke Angel Dust is the exact opposite of something being forgettable.

I'm glad you said that. Method Man was the obvious breakout star from the Wu Tang Clan's debut. He sung the hook on the album's most well known song, had his own solo joint and most importantly, his eccentric lyrical stylings stood out amongst an already unique set of MCs. As such, he was the obvious choice for the Clan's first solo album which arrived in 1994 in the shape of "Tical". I realized that why people wasn't feeling Tical cause it has a darker feeling in them.

Off the topic. I'm not from New York. I remember people got mad at me for saying that Method was more popular than Jay-Z and I said to them, Redman is a better rapper/MC's than Jay-Z overall skills, etc.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm glad you said that. Method Man was the obvious breakout star from the Wu Tang Clan's debut. He sung the hook on the album's most well known song, had his own solo joint and most importantly, his eccentric lyrical stylings stood out amongst an already unique set of MCs. As such, he was the obvious choice for the Clan's first solo album which arrived in 1994 in the shape of "Tical". I realized that why people wasn't feeling Tical cause it has a darker feeling in them.

Off the topic. I'm not from New York. I remember people got mad at me for saying that Method was more popular than Jay-Z and I said to them, Redman is a better rapper/MC's than Jay-Z overall skills, etc.

Meth was more popular than Jay. Whoever denies that don't know what they are talking about.

Ruby'sRevolver

Man in the Black Hat
Daps
tumblr_ony3bkGoB21qf5rv3o2_1280.jpg

Ruby'sRevolver

Man in the Black Hat
Daps
Tical shut down NYC when it dropped. NYC officially became Wu York City.

There was hype for Redmans Darkside album around this same time.

I remember Def Jam put out a promo tape called 'Month of the Man' where one side was a couple tracks from Tical and the other side was a couple from Dare Iz A Darkside. I think there was a Month of the Man ad in the Source too.

shawntitan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I’ve always felt the same way, people that weren’t there downplay the impact of this album, especially in the Northeast/Tri State. This album got more play than Tupac’s Me Against the World...

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I liked this album but let's say very underwhelming when compared to the other Wu solo releases like Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and Ironman, Return to the 3 Chambers. It's still solid but the RZA production isn't nearly as interesting as most would hope. The album as a whole is pretty modest, and doesn't carry the same dark and intriguing atmosphere that makes Wu releases from 1993-95 so damn appealing. I'm just being honest about it.
The OG Tical was lost in the flood. They had to scramble and remake the album. RZA didn't have backups. Same with some/all of Deck's solo IIRC

djfilthyrich

All Star
Daps
I remember Def Jam put out a promo tape called 'Month of the Man' where one side was a couple tracks from Tical and the other side was a couple from Dare Iz A Darkside. I think there was a Month of the Man ad in the Source too.

Yeah, I remember.....I tried googling the ad but nothing came up.
Anyone able to find the original 'Month Of The Man' magazine ad?

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Word me and you both. They had posters up at Sam Goody promoting these albums. Redman album was hard as hell. Was TICAL the original production for the album or did RZAs original production for Methods solo get lost in the flood as well???

djfilthyrich

All Star
Daps