Misconceptions about being a Black Panamanian

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
It was always weird growing up for me.

I’d have friends or ex girlfriends over for family gatherings. They’d be confused to see my dark skin grandma, aunties, cousins speaking Spanish and listening to salsa and reggaeton.

“So where is your family from? They Dominican right?”

“Panama? Where’s that?”

“It’s black folk down there?”

“Why do they sound Jamaican when they talk in English”?

And my favorite “Panama? Like panama city beach, Florida?” :deadrose:

Granted, I grew up in Chi where there aren’t too many Afro Latinos compared to the east coast

Last edited:

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
It was always weird growing up for me.

I’d have friends and ex girlfriends over for gatherings. They’d be confused to see my dark skin grandma, aunties, cousins speaking Spanish and listening to salsa and reggaeton.

“So where is your family from? They Dominican right?”

“Panama? Where’s that?”

“It’s black folk down there?”

“Why do they sound Jamaican when they talk in English”?

Granted, I grew up in Chi where there aren’t too many Afro Latinos compared to the east coast
You know what's funny? I have fam from Panama on my mom's side. I had never seen a light skinned Panamanian until I was like 33. I live in NYC so we got a lot of the Caribbean and South America here.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I saw the clip and the only thing I can say is that people have to be around Panamanians in order to learn about their culture, customs, etc.

Panamanians need to also associate around other people and educate people about their culture, customs, etc.

Otherwise, people will assume and have misconceptions about them...

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I saw the clip and the only thing I can say is that people have to be around Panamanians in order to learn about their culture, customs, etc.

Panamanians need to also associate around other people and educate people about their culture, customs, etc.

Otherwise, people will assume and have misconceptions about them...
Many people barely know or care about their own neighborhood, city, or family history. They care even less about other people's backgrounds. Not misconceptions, as much as ignorance.

Not up to people to teach others about their culture. Cool if they do, but not their duty.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Many people barely know or care about their own neighborhood, city, or family history. They care even less about other people's backgrounds. Not misconceptions, as much as ignorance.

Not up to people to teach others about their culture. Cool if they do, but not their duty.

Any person who is tired of others having misconceptions of them definitely have a duty to educate others.

Otherwise, deal with the misconceptions and keep it pushing..

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
The building of the Panama Canal was one of the most significant events of the 20th century. Not some obscure, unknown story. Is Sis in the video talking about experiences growing up, or having to explain this to adults?
Having to explain this to adults because not everyone knows about the building of the Panama Canal