“My Country, Tis of Thee” Official Team USA Soccer National Team Thread - Folarin Balogun commits!

Toussaint

Struggle, challenge, and rise to struggle again
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
FhJ7tTeXgAQySJE

I don’t know if their are any USMNT soccer fans on this board but I’m sure a lot of people will be tuning into the World Cup and their are a lot of brehs on this years squad.

World Cup 26 man roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Luton Town/ENG; 8/0; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 10/0; Lilburn, Ga.), Matt Turner (Arsenal/ENG; 20/0; Park Ridge, N.J.)

DEFENDERS (9): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 11/0; Southend-on-Sea, England), Sergiño Dest (AC Milan/ITA; 19/2; Almere, Netherlands), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 29/3; Oak Hills, Calif.), Shaq Moore (Nashville SC; 15/1; Powder Springs, Ga.), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 46/1; St. Louis, Mo.), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 29/2; Liverpool, England), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 3/0; Lake Grove, N.Y.), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami CF; 75/0; Seattle, Wash.), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 33/3; Lawrenceville, Ga.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United/ENG; 24/6; Medford, N.J.), Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 53/2; Plano, Texas), Tyler Adams (Leeds United/ENG; 32/1; Wappingers Falls, N.Y.), Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo/ESP; 12/0; San Diego, Calif.), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 37/9; Little Elm, Texas), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 19/0; London, England), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 32/0; Pico Rivera, Calif.)

FORWARDS (7): Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 15/7; McKinney, Texas), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 49/11; Mercer Island, Wash.), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 52/21; Hershey, Pa.), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 14/4; Bedford, N.Y.), Josh Sargent (Norwich City/ENG; 20/5; O’Fallon, Mo.), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 25/3; Rosedale, N.Y.), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 3/1; Los Angeles, Calif.)

Stars
Christian Pulisic - Left Winger, sometimes starter at Chelsea F.C. Had his best year in 2020 when he helped leads Chelsea to a Champions league title (European super bowl) before injury issues and manager tactics saw him benched and only used as a sub. Has slowly gotten back into good form and most importantly quickness looks near that level again.

Weston Mckennie - Attacking midfielder, Consistent starter at Juventas a top team in Italy. Not the most skilled players but makes up for it with his ability to get into the goal area (box in soccer terms) and hit well timed headers for goals. His big weakness is concentration and has made several big mistakes around goal in club and national team competitions.

Gio Reyna - Winger with the ability to play anywhere. Many consider him the best US player and a prodigy. Plays for Dortmund in Germany. Excellent skill, long legs, super quick, smart and he’s only 19. However he like Pulisic has had injury troubles but his recent form has been excellent. Could be a break out tournament for him.

Tim Weah - Right Winger, but can play as a forward. Currently at Lille in France. The X factor in my opinion. Probably the most dangerous player from an attacking standpoint for the Yanks. He plays on the wing opposite Pulisic. His speed on the wings will typically cause teams to come unglued and unbalanced. Basically a game plan wrecker. The US looks poor when he doesn’t play. The son of a world famous soccer player and Liberian president George Weah. President Weah could score goals in his sleep, and that’s Timothy’s biggest weakness. He doesn’t really score and is mostly used to set others up. I wish he’d be more aggressive around goal

Brendan Aaronson - Attacking Midfielder but can play on the wing. Currently playing for Leeds United. The quintessential hustle guy. Similar to Weah in that his pressure can cause teams to come unglued but where Weah is the faster player Aaronson has an unlimited motor. You hate play against him but love that he’s on your team. Very good at trapping guys and forcing them to make mistakes that lead to turnovers and lead to goals. However, he can also spray balls around out of the midfield and rack up assists. Biggest weakness his he isn’t very strong and can get knocked around by more physical teams.

Tyler Adams - Defensive Midfielder that plays at Leeds UTD with Aaronson. He is the leader of the team and heart and soul as well. He can bang with the top players in the world. Tough, gritty and usually makes the right pass and doesn’t miss many defensive assignments. Believes he’s the fastest on the team and has a bit of a Napoleon complex. If there is some jawing and pushing he’s usually the one doing it. His biggest weakness is the system Coach Berhalter plays him in. He lacks some passing skill and is forced to sit back and orchestrate the offense as a point guard when his greatest ability is pressing and causing turnovers that can lead to transition opportunities.

Sergino Dest - Right defensive back who plays for AC Milan in Italy. In terms of players with the most promise and upside but who has yet to fulfill the hype he is it. Failed at Barcelona after a promising start and hasn’t really been great at AC Milan. Arguably the most skilled US player but is kind of in no mana land of being too small not physical enough to play as an attacking winger but not sound enough fundamentally and lacks the cleverness to play as a right defensive back. What separates the best in soccer in the ability to be in the right position and know when to attack and defend. Dest struggles with that and can lead to big errors. Still is probably the best US player with the ball at his feet and can hit a banger or two.

Yunas Musah - Central Midfielder that plays for Valencia in Spain. If there is one player non-Americans may leave the tournament saying “who the hell was that guy?”, he is it. Fast, strong, intelligent, can pass, can score, can defend, can pressure, can dictate a game and can paint your back porch. At his best when receiving the ball in the midfield and just running past defenders. Biggest weakness is he struggles to play a full 90 and usually gasses out around 70 minutes but fully fit. Also, with Reyna, Mckennie, Adams, and Aaronson it’s hard to play them all at the same time and when Berhalter chooses to play him will say a lot about what the game plan is tactically. If Musah is playing it’s because he wants goals.

Last edited:

Toussaint

Daps
Reppin
Michigan
How deep of a run do you think the US will make? Who’s winning it all? I got France.
I would say anywhere from group stage to quarterfinals. Either Senegal or Netherlands are upset-table if they play their best but I can also see them getting countered by Wales because of the weakness at center back and struggling to score vs Iran because of the lack of a consistent number 9.

EDIT: I think Brazil wins it.

Last edited:

Toussaint

Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think USA will come out with this lineup for Wales. Expect Weah to come on for Reyna in the second half and Aaronson for Musah of the USA is trailing.

Ferreira will drop into the midfield as a false 9 with Mckennie crashing the box and Musah providing the threatening runs

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I would say anywhere from group stage to quarterfinals. Either Senegal or Netherlands are upset-table if they play their best but I can also see them getting countered by Wales because of the weakness at center back and struggling to score vs Iran because of the lack of a consistent number 9.
Stop.

This team will be lucky to get one win in group stage.

Toussaint

Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Stop.

This team will be lucky to get one win in group stage.
Neither Wales or Iran is talented as the USMNT nor have they been playing good soccer. The US can easily win those games but I can also see them being countered and giving up a bad goal because their CBs are mid to bad. This is also the first time the US will be healthy in a long time

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
New York
My son excited as hell. Hopefully they can win a game in their group :mjlol:

Ridiculous how we the sorry ones in a sport for once
You know, the idea that we have to be great at every sport is deeply rooted in :mjpls:-ism towards other countries.

:mjpls: So be careful how you say certain things, beloved.