NBA players discuss the dark side of free agency: 'I wanted to quit'

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I def believe FA is a stressful time but I'm always skeptical of these articles . A part of me thinks writers just be making random shyt up:yeshrug:

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Richard Sherman thought he could do it himself too. And he just signed a heavily incentive laden deal that requires him to play 90% of snaps and make the pro bowl.

sherman is also old, if you young and in your prime you dont need a damn agent.

accounting shermans age and his injuries he prob would not have gotten much better.

DonRe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man its tricky. Contracts sre complicated and long and purposey obtuse. Trust me i deal with them on the daily.

I would hire a lawyer who knows about sports contracts and use em on the per diem basis. While a agent gets paid no matter if he works or not. fukk that.

JoseLuisGotcha

Aka Allhiphopsux
Daps
Reppin
#717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
I'd hire a contract lawyer when the time comes and throughout the year i'll just keep a business manager cause if you'e a superstar i feel a business manager or agency like Roc Nation are more important to put you in a position to make money outside of sports.....

I remember hearing shaq never even touched his nba money before retirement he was spending straight endorsement money.,,,,im trying to be on that type steeze

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always thought being a journeyman player had to be stressful as fukk. Imagine being Ramon Sessions...

The few mil a year has got to be amazing, but knowing you will be 100% traded or a free agent the next year has got to suck. Dude has to move his family every year

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
sherman is also old, if you young and in your prime you dont need a damn agent.

accounting shermans age and his injuries he prob would not have gotten much better.
fukk that, if I'm not a max level player in the NBA I'm definitely using an agent. For one if you sign with a powerful agent, that agent can use his other clients as agents to force your team into paying more money. Those same agents have also built relationships with the GMs so they can use those relationshps to determine a realistic market for what teams would offer and even know which teams are sheisty and who to stay away from.

NFL wise no matter what year I'm in I'm hiring an agent. The agents will know what little clauses to add in or what clauses teams might slip in to give extra leverage to them. With contracts being non-guaranteed and having a lot more incentive options I want a professional that knows what buttons to push.

Those agents can easily make up the difference in what you're paying them by getting you a lot of extra money in the contracts. But as a max level NBA player the contracts would seem pretty straight forwad so you don't need that extra money.