Next target of SCOTUS post-Roe

If Roe v Wade goes, what is the next target? (pick 2)

• Miranda v. Arizona

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Affirmative Action in education and employment

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • 1964 Civil Rights Act, Title I

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 1964 Civil Rights Act, Title II

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Fair Housing Act

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • "Clarifying" separation of church and state in a way that favors religion

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
CRA and VRA have already been gimped. The obvious next step will be to go after gay marriage, and contraception healthcare. Also, any type of affirmative action case is likely dead.

End of the day you can thank RBG for not retiring when Obama damn near begged her to. He got so much shyt from feminists and activists, despite the obvious fact that he was going to replace her with another liberal woman. To me it was the ultimately sign of white feminism. A white woman so obsessed with the idea of a woman president (Hillary) making her replacement that she dismissed the logical, RIGHT advice of a smart black male president. Well now Roe v Wade will be dead in 6 months, congratulations.

Voting is important. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But we're in this position because of the hubris and arrogance of one woman. Remember all the "Notorious RBG" shyt and glorifying of her happened almost immediately after she declined Obama's suggestion. I'm all for giving flowers to legends, and she deserved many of the accolades, but the way that shyt went overboard ALWAYS rubbed me the wrong way given the stakes.
RBG was a selfish brat who should have stepped aside, but if you think this mess we have now is solely down to her then you are just as stupid as she was,

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
I seriously doubt they will go after most of those. Unlike Roe, most of your choices are congressional law. SCOTUS is hesitant to overturn that.

Things decided by court cases like gay marriage are at risk.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
RBG was a selfish brat who should have stepped aside, but if you think this mess we have now is solely down to her then you are just as stupid as she was,

But it is tho. If she gets replaced in 2014, and everything that happened afterwards still happens - Trump wins, gets 2 noms instead of 3, etc - We'd have a 5-4 conservative majority right now with John Roberts in charge of what happens next. He already showed his hand last week, he wants to preserve Roe v Wade but is outnumbered by activist conservatives now.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
But it is tho
Its not.

Democrats didn't pay attention to the courts, while the GOP have constructed a campaign since Reagan to overturn the courts. She was a doofus for not stepping aside, but Democrats have never taken the judiciary serious.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Its not.

Democrats didn't pay attention to the courts, while the GOP have constructed a campaign since Reagan to overturn the courts. She was a doofus for not stepping aside, but Democrats have never taken the judiciary serious.

I actually agree with this point but again, it does not negate the fact that Roe v Wade wouldn't be months from being shytcanned if RBG had retired and let Obama replace her. That's simply a fact.

I applaud Biden's laser focus on the courts btw. He's doing what should be done, and is effectively erasing what Trump was able to do. The problem is Biden is gonna fukk around and not get a single SC pick unless Breyer does the right thing and retires...or unless someone dies. We're in an eerily similar situation right now. Breyer should retire at the start of 2022. Get out of there.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I actually agree with this point but again, it does not negate the fact that Roe v Wade wouldn't be months from being shytcanned if RBG had retired and let Obama replace her. That's simply a fact.

I applaud Biden's laser focus on the courts btw. He's doing what should be done, and is effectively erasing what Trump was able to do. The problem is Biden is gonna fukk around and not get a single SC pick unless Breyer does the right thing and retires...or unless someone dies. We're in an eerily similar situation right now. Breyer should retire at the start of 2022. Get out of there.
I’m not making a point, I am telling you what happened.

shyt, let’s even go a step further, why didn’t Obama even threaten recess appointment when McConnell made it clear he wasn’t going to vote on Garland?

If George Mitchell told HW Bush that the senate wasn’t going to hold hearings on Clarence Thomas in 1991, do you think HW would have let that happened?

My point is blaming RBG is easy as fukk but ignores the systemic movement that transpired before her and during her term.

shyt, HW wouldn’t have nominated RBG due to her age back in ‘93, but Clinton did.

Edit: Sotomayor probably doesn’t get nominated due to her health.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I’m not making a point, I am telling you what happened.

shyt, let’s even go a step further, why didn’t Obama even threaten recess appointment when McConnell made it clear he wasn’t going to vote on Garland?

If George Mitchell told HW Bush that the senate wasn’t going to hold hearings on Clarence Thomas in 1991, do you think HW would have let that happened?

My point is blaming RBG is easy as fukk but ignores the systemic movement that transpired before her and during her term.

shyt, HW wouldn’t have nominated RBG due to her age back in ‘93, but Clinton did.

Edit: Sotomayor probably doesn’t get nominated due to her health.

Supreme Court unanimously shot down Obama's attempt at recess appointments, followed by McConnell keeping the senate in session to prevent further tries. Let's not rewrite history. There was literally nothing Obama could do to replace Scalia, without McConnell playing ball.

But again...an irrelevant point compared to the long term RBG failure. We literally wouldn't be having this conversation if she had done her duty.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Supreme Court unanimously shot down Obama's attempt at recess appointments,
He made 32 during his time in office

This is what the Supreme Court shut down:
In January 2012, President Obama made four recess appointments during a three-day recess between pro forma sessions of the Senate on January 3 and January 6, 2012, a period that was generally considered too short to permit recess appointments. The recess during which the President made the appointments was part of a period of Senate absence that, absent the pro forma sessions, would have constituted an intrasession adjournment of 10 days or longer.

Obama just didn’t want to do it.

Let's not rewrite history
irony

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
But again...an irrelevant point compared to the long term RBG failure. We literally wouldn't be having this conversation if she had done her duty.
The long term failure, and the one thing the Republicans get that Democrats don’t, is that a movement is faceless. Democrats choose to blame or celebrate one person.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
As I said before, you all like celebrating and blaming individuals because the movement is boring. The right wing played a long game and sadly are winning.

but yes, RBG.
Nah, you were just wrong here. It's okay to admit you were wrong.

Or you could respond to when exactly Obama was able to force a recess appointment for the Scotus seat. The calendar is available online.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Nah, you were just wrong here. It's okay to admit you were wrong.

Or you could respond to when exactly Obama was able to force a recess appointment for the Scotus seat. The calendar is available online.
I wasn’t wrong. I said Obama never threatened to do a recess appointment, which he didn’t. I also said it wasn’t due to the Supreme Court unanimously throwing out all of his recess appointments. All I said is Obama didn’t threaten to do it. You can say McConnell wouldn’t let him due to scheduling, but that wasn’t my point. It was a small statement in a bigger issue for the Dems.

My point was that Dems ain’t take the judiciary serious while the GOP were hyper focused on it since Reagan came into office. McConnell’s last act under Obama showed how serious they were. RBG was one of the culprits but she wasn’t solely to blame for the GOP take over the federal judiciary.