Nigeria Voting to Ban Doctors, Nurses, Dentist, and Other Healthcare Professionals from Leaving Country.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t think they should leave, but I don’t agree with this. If they or whoever wants to leave, they should be free to go. Now, if they are being paid to be educated there, then they I have no problem with a mandatory stay for a certain amount of time
People leave paces with over reaching authoritarian policy and places with corruption that stifles growth.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So now they’re going to leave and never come back. Man I really wanted to see this country get it together

Short term solution instead of fixing the REAL problem.

Why fix the nation's problems when we can just hold our upwardly mobile professionals hostage? Brilliant idea!

Nigerians are resourceful as fukk. They'll figure out a way around the rules.

It's hilarious that they think they can pull this off. Docs and nurses will just bribe their way out .

If anything, this creates a new revenue stream for the existing corrupt politicians. The professional class will just buy their freedom :mjlol:

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Y'all really don't know what the fukk y'all talking about

Nigeria treats their healthcare professionals like crap

When doctors had a massive strike in 2021 for shytty pay and lack of funding for hospitals, u know what the gov't did?

They fired all of em and put in less experienced docs for even shyttier pay.

Y'all really don't know what y'all talking about. Go do your research
Fellow Naija breh?

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
I like it time to build up the country. Nigerian government has to do their part and make sure these professions are paid well. Putin said it best Africans treat Africa like a graveyard they leave abroad and only come home to be buried.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Y'all really don't know what the fukk y'all talking about

Nigeria treats their healthcare professionals like crap

When doctors had a massive strike in 2021 for shytty pay and lack of funding for hospitals, u know what the gov't did?

They fired all of em and put in less experienced docs for even shyttier pay.

Y'all really don't know what y'all talking about. Go do your research
What you think will be the blowback

Super lowkey key is this the straw that broke the camel back? Nigeria might be looking at a revolution in they future
You got young intelligent people in that country that will resist eventually and they only making it worse by making them stay for 5 years

Daps
It's hilarious that they think they can pull this off. Docs and nurses will just bribe their way out .

If anything, this creates a new revenue stream for the existing corrupt politicians. The professional class will just buy their freedom :mjlol:
Dang.....that might actually be their plan. Nigerian politicians got angles for everything :russ:.

Most ADOS are majority Nigerian descent too. That's where we get our quick thinking from :ohhh::russ::snoop:

Superstar
Daps
Do you get a medical degree for free in Nigeria?
no, but the tuition is extremely low. ie Uni of Lagos tuition is about $517 usd. there are not unlimited spots in college programs

maybe instead of banning them from leaving, they should have students entering these programs agree to sign contracts that they intend to work in nigeria at least 5 years or they will pay a very high fee since their spot could've gone to a student who planned to stay in nigeria.

students wanting to work abroad can just get education abroad, but it'd cost many times more.

invalid

Banned
Daps
The way that I'm looking at this situation, from the state's perspective, the purpose of the state's education system is to improve the quality of life of its citizens.

We are aware of all the systemic issues that plague every level of Nigerian society. Issues that are going to take generations to fix.

In the meantime, how do you make incremental change?

Citizens who receive public education owe a debt to their society.

It doesn't make sense, at least from the state's perspective, to allow citizens who take advantage of public educational resources, to leave the country, regardless of the state that the country is in, so that the country is not able to reap the benefits that it's public educational system is supposed to yield for the populace. Only for another country to reap the benefits.

Everyone wants Nigeria to be better. A win for Nigeria is a win for black people globally.

The way I see it, Nigeria can try to improve on the underlying issues, which will take generations, while continuing it's brain drain while it takes those steps.

Or curve the brain drain, and make incremental steps to address the issues.

It seems to me, the people of Nigeria will see more of an immediate benefit from the second option than the first. To be sure, the first option is ideal, but it doesn't appear to be manageable at the moment.