Nigeria Voting to Ban Doctors, Nurses, Dentist, and Other Healthcare Professionals from Leaving Country.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Based on the title and me not reading anything else, this sounds reasonable. What's the point of training and educating your people if all they're going to do is leave.
Especially if you used grants and financial aid from them to even get the education. After just a moment longer of thinking about it, I saw at least SOME merit in them doing it. You cant use our resources then go benefit some other country. I think people who pay out of pocket should be exempt but the other folks?

martin-sit-down.gif

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
no, but the tuition is extremely low. ie Uni of Lagos tuition is about $517 usd. there are not unlimited spots in college programs

maybe instead of banning them from leaving, they should have students entering these programs agree to sign contracts that they intend to work in nigeria at least 5 years or they will pay a very high fee since their spot could've gone to a student who planned to stay in nigeria.

students wanting to work abroad can just get education abroad, but it'd cost many times more.

If they are going to use that logic for medical professionals then it needs to apply for everyone. You shouldn’t tell your citizens that if they train to become a lawyer or engineer they are free to leave for a “better” life elsewhere but if you become a doctor you must stay.

Make it so that any post graduate degree requires a number of years working in Nigeria.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Based on the title and me not reading anything else, this sounds reasonable. What's the point of training and educating your people if all they're going to do is leave.
If they give scholarships and pay for any of it you might have a point.

But something tell me they don't. Either way this won't work. People will just relocate for school not after school. Can't stop a tidal wave with a stop sign. Fix the country

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I like it time to build up the country. Nigerian government has to do their part and make sure these professions are paid well. Putin said it best Africans treat Africa like a graveyard they leave abroad and only come home to be buried.
And they haven't done that yet but expect them to stay so. I don't like it. Plus there is Zero chance these doctors are working with only Nigerian education abroad. Western nations rarely put our accreditation on the same level. People have to go to school again.

Dont quite Putin like he has wisdom. Ask him my he has troops in African countries killing Africans openly. Smh

bnew

Veteran
Daps
are these doctors given an education for free?

edit:

ok, it seems like their education was subsidized by taxpayers .. some countries that subsidize medical professionals education make them pay back the state if they practice abroad. restriction of movement is extreme in comparison.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
And they haven't done that yet but expect them to stay so. I don't like it. Plus there is Zero chance these doctors are working with only Nigerian education abroad. Western nations rarely put our accreditation on the same level. People have to go to school again.

Dont quite Putin like he has wisdom. Ask him my he has troops in African countries killing Africans openly. Smh
Then that is a bit different. Same thing as the GI bill requiring so many years of military service

Daps
If they are going to use that logic for medical professionals then it needs to apply for everyone. You shouldn’t tell your citizens that if they train to become a lawyer or engineer they are free to leave for a “better” life elsewhere but if you become a doctor you must stay.

Make it so that any post graduate degree requires a number of years working in Nigeria.
Good points. Problem is that politicians want to hold professionals accountable but then use shady elections so that THEY don't have to be held accountable.

Most governments are corrupt in some way but if you're openly corrupt while trying to brow beat your most talented individuals, it's going to leave a BAD impression. The legislation is ultimately good for the country but it's like putting a fresh coat of paint on a house with foundation issues.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)

I don't like that dude either but what he said was true. African nations have to build their nations and it has to be done sooner than later or else it will be in the same boat.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Unless they study with full scholarship from the gov then they are training themselves.

This should only applied to people that paid their education with public funds.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I don't like that dude either but what he said was true. African nations have to build their nations and it has to be done sooner than later or else it will be in the same boat.
Then he better get to it. As an African abroad I'm gonna tell you straight up until the government does it's people are not stopping the migration. The harder they try to punish people who make a way the more people will leave permanently. That's the game. You gotta offer something before making demands. Not after.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Brain Drain is an actual thing, but :heh: @ thinking that this will fix the issue.

all this means is that they're going to create a new industry that gets people out the country.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What people are seeing more immediate benefit, @ab.aspectus? Seems like the medical professionals are the ones being screwed, mistreated, and taken advantage of to get those “immediate benefits” of improving Nigeria?

Saying they owe a debt to society and should be, for lack of better term, sacrificed to the medical meat grinder until generation-spanning issues are fixed?