NYTimes Vid: Why Rappers Stopped Writing: The Punch-In Method

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
This is how damn near all rappers record now. They go in the studio and record the shyt piece by piece. Sitting down with a notebook is basically outdated even though a lot of artist still do write. But punching in as you go along has become the standard and it’s been like this for a minute now. Don’t waste your time in any studio trying to explain to these nikkas why they should write because they gonna look at you like you stupid. It’s just the evolution of how people record

Trace

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
This is how damn near all rappers record now. They go in the studio and record the shyt piece by piece. Sitting down with a notebook is basically outdated even though a lot of artist still do write. But punching in as you go along has become the standard and it’s been like this for a minute now. Don’t waste your time in any studio trying to explain to these nikkas why they should write because they gonna look at you like you stupid. It’s just the evolution of how people record
basically.

maybe write when you’re not at the studio just for the lifting aspect, but when you’re there just punch that shyt in.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

It is what and how an amateur records.

No dope emcee past g rap and pun for health reason get a pass punching in.

Past that.

The easiest way to see and note a wack rapper is one who punches in.

Art Barr

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Writing doesn't mean using a pen. It means composing your bars beforehand.

These dudes bragging about not writing - which actually means they didn't spend much time writing - when their lyrics are shyt.

Freestyling OFF THE DOME is the only alternative to writing.

If you're in a freestyle OFF THE DOME cypher and you sit there and think of a couple of lines while you wait your turn.. those couple of bars you compose real quick are "written". You composed them beforehand. Even if beforehand is 60 seconds before you say them.

Once you run out of those premeditated bars, you start freestyling OFF THE DOME.

Anyway: punching in every line after you sit there and compose it is still "writing".

I only used to write my shyt down to archive it. I compose completely in my head and have done so since pretty early into my journey.

Past few years I have been recording them pretty soon after I compose them, so I use the recording as the the archive.

In summary. Using a pen or computer to write the rhyme out is not the only way to compose a verse. JZ, BIG, Wayne and whoever else that says they don't use paper are just on the next level of "writing" but all mentally.

If you're going in the stu empty handed and empty headed and just making up one bar at a time and recording it on the spot.. you're still pre meditating the rhyme and I call that writing the same as using a pen to do it instead of the recorder.

The quality of the rhyme is almost always directly proportional to the time spent crafting it. These new cats spend very little time and their shyt is trash, accordingly.

Last edited:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
Basically.

It's only going to get worst with AI