NYTimes Vid: Why Rappers Stopped Writing: The Punch-In Method

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Jay Z literally changed how artists record

That’s influence
It should be noted that we are to expect that Jay had recorded entire verses from memorization

This means he is writing and editing in his mind

If I find out that man is punching in bar by bar

I’mma hit him with the

Solomon Lurke

My Boys Dey Be Lurkin...
Daps
Reppin
The Shadows
feel bad for these engineers, hope they getting a pay raise

I’ve recorded artists here and there through out life as a side hustle, never really liked being a recording engineer but not was worst than a rapper who needed to punch in a lot. Made me want to one myself lol. Thankfully I got out of there before this new era got popular.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Anyone that's actually spent time in a lot of studios over years, knows that this isn't how seasoned MC's record.

This is how new younger dudes record because they don’t know how to write or structure actual songs. Real MC's who come in with a plan and really know what they want to do, don’t come in trying to punch-in bars and all that. That's what the amateurs do now.

Low_key

Pro
Daps
Reppin
410 the circuit city
Unless u make music yourself I don’t think y’all understand how slick punching in can be when you are a talented artist. I’m 29 and I come from the era of three verses all written, rap it in one take yadayada. I understand the hip hop purist mentality but recording technology has come a long way and I’m sure some of y’all favorite legacy artist would be punching back then if the knew better and they prolly punch now. If u are strong songwriter it increases the capabilities of some of the schemes u can play with and it makes the art more cohesive cuz I doesn’t come off as stale how writing can sometimes. Just because a rapper records by punching doesn’t mean they couldn’t give u a technical performance if needed. Don’t fight the evolution 😂😂

Low_key

Pro
Daps
Reppin
410 the circuit city
I understand what y’all don’t like about it because the rap hustlers use that method. But real MCs make dope music punching in. fukk y’all think Wayne and Jigga was doing, all them songs weren’t memorized, don’t u ever think that

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I understand what y’all don’t like about it because the rap hustlers use that method. But real MCs make dope music punching in. fukk y’all think Wayne and Jigga was doing, all them songs weren’t memorized, don’t u ever think that

Jay isn't punching in. He's comping.

People who know how to record don’t punch-in a million times. No engineer worth their check is going to tell you that's going to sound good. Wayne is comping too. You're doing the verses over a few times until you get one that works for you, and you go with the best performance. You don’t piece together a bunch of punches and pray they sound natural. That's what the amateurs do. Look at the dudes featured in the video. All trash. Because they're not actual MC's. They don’t even know how to sit and structure on paper. So they're not able to memorize like Wayne and Jay do when they come up with whole verses in their head.

This is a lazy generation. And that's why the quality of the music is so garbage with these dudes. They ain't willing to actually invest in the craft, and that's why their music sounds the way it does. Technology won't cover up for trash ass music.

Last edited: