Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Metro Boomin

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Any particular reason they’ve had the rap nominees non-televised besides the obvious?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I acknowledged the self titled album was her best shot, while pointing out another candidate. I don’t think the Grammys are that random, especially for the big awards. It either goes to the best selling albums, the veteran icon who has won in the past (Herbie Hancock, Robert Plant, etc) or they throw a curveball and go with a critically acclaimed smaller artist to reset credibility (Beck, Arcade Fire).

The difference here for me is that I don’t think this is some social justice issue, I don’t think her music is particularly great, and she regularly loses these awards to bigger artists. Her entire image is based around being the biggest artist and yet she isn’t.

Eminem regularly won in years he sold the most records. Mumford & Sons outsold Frank Ocean. And before someone asks how come black artists don’t benefit from the critical acclaim curveball…as stated earlier Jon Batiste won AOTY in 2022.

At least the Oscars created a category specifically for bad films that make a lot of money, to satisfy the masses. The Grammys doesn’t have nearly the respect that the Oscars do, and even that is largely subjective and regularly ignores masterpieces from the greatest directors (Welles, Hitchcock, Scorsese until they gave him a sympathy award, Spike Lee, etc) in favor of more sentimental mainstream films.

Beyonce isn't losing these awards to bigger artists though. Beyonce is possibly the biggest artist alive. Even if people don't listen to Beyonce, there isn't a person who knows who Taylor Swift but doesn't know Beyonce. The fact that the two are even compared shows that they are pretty much on equal footing.

Illmagic

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any particular reason they’ve had the rap nominees non-televised besides the obvious?
I guess time is a factor. They coulda def cut something else though. I dont think having both best pop performance and pop album was needed. One or the other could have made room for best rap album. Killer Mike had a awesome speech that shoulda made it over Miley Cyrus or Taylor swift especially since they both won later in the big 3. Or Maybe the show should be longer :manny:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Bro I’m in my 30’s and be in Atlanta frequently. Nobody is listening to killer Mike and run the jewels in the A lmao. RTJ probably got a cult following online , not in real life in the A. So I’m not surprised at all he don’t know either. I
You just agreed with me lmao

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Was wondering this also. This was the first year I watched the whole show since maybe the 00’s. Is this common or was it due to the lack of star power for most the winner?
definitely lack of star power. Normally a hip-hop category of some sort gets a spot. Instead pop got 2.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Beyonce isn't losing these awards to bigger artists though. Beyonce is possibly the biggest artist alive. Even if people don't listen to Beyonce, there isn't a person who knows who Taylor Swift but doesn't know Beyonce. The fact that the two are even compared shows that they are pretty much on equal footing.

Her first AOTY nom was in 2010 for the Sasha Fierce album. Taylor was nominated and won that year with an album that sold twice as many copies. In 2015, Beyonce's self titled album sold more than the award winner but it wasn't the best selling album in the category: Ed Shereen and Sam Smith sold more. In 2017 with Lemonade, Adele had the higher selling album (and won). Last year with Renaissance, Harry Styles' album sold more (and won). This year the highest selling album (Taylor Swift) won.

There is no metric imaginable where Beyonce is bigger than Taylor Swift. Taylor sells more records, has more hits, has bigger tours, her movie did better than Beyonce's, etc etc etc. Yes Beyonce is big and an icon. But Taylor is bigger. That's just the facts. And I think Beyonce's image and marketing have done a disservice to her because everything is hyper focused on her being the only artist comparable to MJ, the only artist capable of commanding the world's attention, the only artist who makes that much money, etc. It's a nice world to live in if you're a Beyonce fan, but it's not reality. And while she can stunt on every black artist out there, it seems like there's a little bit of frustration that when gets enters that bigger mainstream pool she's not the big fish anymore.

I don't hate or dislike Beyonce. I'm just tired of her being propped up as some martyr for having everything in the world except for one particular Grammy.

Solo_87

All Star
Daps
Her first AOTY nom was in 2010 for the Sasha Fierce album. Taylor was nominated and won that year with an album that sold twice as many copies. In 2015, Beyonce's self titled album sold more than the award winner but it wasn't the best selling album in the category: Ed Shereen and Sam Smith sold more. In 2017 with Lemonade, Adele had the higher selling album (and won). Last year with Renaissance, Harry Styles' album sold more (and won). This year the highest selling album (Taylor Swift) won.

There is no metric imaginable where Beyonce is bigger than Taylor Swift. Taylor sells more records, has more hits, has bigger tours, her movie did better than Beyonce's, etc etc etc. Yes Beyonce is big and an icon. But Taylor is bigger. That's just the facts. And I think Beyonce's image and marketing have done a disservice to her because everything is hyper focused on her being the only artist comparable to MJ, the only artist capable of commanding the world's attention, the only artist who makes that much money, etc. It's a nice world to live in if you're a Beyonce fan, but it's not reality. And while she can stunt on every black artist out there, it seems like there's a little bit of frustration that when gets enters that bigger mainstream pool she's not the big fish anymore.

I don't hate or dislike Beyonce. I'm just tired of her being propped up as some martyr for having everything in the world except for one particular Grammy.

So is AOTY awarded to the highest selling album or to the album that is the most sonically pleasing, cohesive, forward thinking, provactive? These things don't always align..Popularity doesn't always equal quality

And each year it seems like the goal post moves... And more times than not it favors the white artist

Not saying we should feel sorry for Beyonce but there is obviously a problem

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Eh I didn’t see any disrespect to Celine. It was for all intents and purpose TAYLOR’S moment so she should be able to say whatever she wants
I meant not recognizing her as she accepted the award. A quick hug or even eye contact woulda been acceptable. This broad acted like she won her first Grammy.