Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Metro Boomin

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

So is AOTY awarded to the highest selling album or to the album that is the most sonically pleasing, cohesive, forward thinking, provactive? These things don't always align..Popularity doesn't always equal quality

And each year it seems like the goal post moves... And more times than not it favors the white artist

Not saying we should feel sorry for Beyonce but there is obviously a problem

The category included late 2015 releases, which is why Adele's album (which came out in November 2015 iirc) was the highest selling album in the category.

Solo_87

All Star
Daps
The category included late 2015 releases, which is why Adele's album (which came out in November 2015 iirc) was the highest selling album in the category.

Regardless she's always in the conversation for best selling and most critically acclaimed released that particular yr

Lemonade was not only the best selling album globally 2016, it won a Peabody ...no other album in the category received that honor

Let's stop dancing around the bigger issue... The rules and who wins really seems rather arbitrary... and favors white artist more times than not

Beck has won an AOTY ..Taylor has won AOTY 4x in 15 years... but a black female artist hasn't gotten the top honors in 25 yrs... ....only a hand full of blk male artist

Kdot has a Pulitzer but no AOTY? Lol

I know a lot of these artist share labels like Adele and Beyonce. Columbia. And labels campaign for their artist. So that's also something to consider

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Her first AOTY nom was in 2010 for the Sasha Fierce album. Taylor was nominated and won that year with an album that sold twice as many copies. In 2015, Beyonce's self titled album sold more than the award winner but it wasn't the best selling album in the category: Ed Shereen and Sam Smith sold more. In 2017 with Lemonade, Adele had the higher selling album (and won). Last year with Renaissance, Harry Styles' album sold more (and won). This year the highest selling album (Taylor Swift) won.

There is no metric imaginable where Beyonce is bigger than Taylor Swift. Taylor sells more records, has more hits, has bigger tours, her movie did better than Beyonce's, etc etc etc. Yes Beyonce is big and an icon. But Taylor is bigger. That's just the facts. And I think Beyonce's image and marketing have done a disservice to her because everything is hyper focused on her being the only artist comparable to MJ, the only artist capable of commanding the world's attention, the only artist who makes that much money, etc. It's a nice world to live in if you're a Beyonce fan, but it's not reality. And while she can stunt on every black artist out there, it seems like there's a little bit of frustration that when gets enters that bigger mainstream pool she's not the big fish anymore.

I don't hate or dislike Beyonce. I'm just tired of her being propped up as some martyr for having everything in the world except for one particular Grammy.

Ed Sheehran nor Sam Smith sold more copies than Beyonce's self titled. You need to check those numbers again.

Adele is proof that record sales aren't the end/all be all. Look at the touring numbers. Look at what Beyonce did at Coachella. This is someone who headlined a Superbowl halftime and then overshadowed the main performer on another that she was only invited on. She dropped "Formation' and had law enforcemnt talking about they feared for their lives. Red Lobster saw a 33% surge just from a line in a Beyonce song. Because of self titled release dates changed. Surprise releases became normal.

Taylor Swift is not bigger than Beyonce.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Taylor Swift is not bigger than Beyonce.
Bro, she absolutely is, definitely right now. Just on GP of white audiences. Admitting Taylor is bigger is no slight to Bey, white artists have the metrics skewed in their favor. Even in 2016/17 when Bey was at her peak on lemonade, when I went to work with all my white and Asian coworkers, it was clear Taylor swift was to them what Bey was to black women. Them being different ages but yet a lot of their career overlapping, they are peers, but Taylor still in her prime and Bey isn’t, so right now, she’s definitely bigger than bey.

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Bro, she absolutely is, definitely right now. Just on GP of white audiences. Admitting Taylor is bigger is no slight to Bey, white artists have the metrics skewed in their favor. Even in 2016/17 when Bey was at her peak on lemonade, when I went to work with all my white and Asian coworkers, it was clear Taylor swift was to them what Bey was to black women. Them being different ages but yet a lot of their career overlapping, they are peers, but Taylor still in her prime and Bey isn’t, so right now, she’s definitely bigger than bey.
Yep. Beyoncé is no doubt a massive artist. But Swift is even bigger than that. It’s basically comparing peak Jay-Z to peak Eminem. It’s just different when you add in those white audiences that can basically walk off black artists. “I don’t listen to rap but I love Eminem” is a real thing. Swift has that.

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
Her first AOTY nom was in 2010 for the Sasha Fierce album. Taylor was nominated and won that year with an album that sold twice as many copies. In 2015, Beyonce's self titled album sold more than the award winner but it wasn't the best selling album in the category: Ed Shereen and Sam Smith sold more. In 2017 with Lemonade, Adele had the higher selling album (and won). Last year with Renaissance, Harry Styles' album sold more (and won). This year the highest selling album (Taylor Swift) won.

There is no metric imaginable where Beyonce is bigger than Taylor Swift. Taylor sells more records, has more hits, has bigger tours, her movie did better than Beyonce's, etc etc etc. Yes Beyonce is big and an icon. But Taylor is bigger. That's just the facts. And I think Beyonce's image and marketing have done a disservice to her because everything is hyper focused on her being the only artist comparable to MJ, the only artist capable of commanding the world's attention, the only artist who makes that much money, etc. It's a nice world to live in if you're a Beyonce fan, but it's not reality. And while she can stunt on every black artist out there, it seems like there's a little bit of frustration that when gets enters that bigger mainstream pool she's not the big fish anymore.

I don't hate or dislike Beyonce. I'm just tired of her being propped up as some martyr for having everything in the world except for one particular Grammy.

Yep. Beyoncé is no doubt a massive artist. But Swift is even bigger than that. It’s basically comparing peak Jay-Z to peak Eminem. It’s just different when you add in those white audiences that can basically walk off black artists. “I don’t listen to rap but I love Eminem” is a real thing. Swift has that.
Interesting fact: Eminem has won rap album every year he was nominated (if not, at least 90% of the time). And he’s NEVER won AOTY.

Guess what the MMLP lost to in 2001? Two Against Nature by Steely Dan. I love their music but that was one of their weakest albums. I’m not an Eminem fan at all but that album broke so many records commercially and culturally, it was a joke it lost to that album. Even Radiohead’s Kid A got snubbed too.

I hate repeating myself but Beyonce has over 30 awards. Think how many other R&B singers were overlooked for her who would be grateful for at least one of those and yet she gets her attack dogs to whine on her behalf. It’s completely classless.

Prince doesn’t have a single AOTY award. Purple Rain. Sign O Times. Mother fukking Batman!!! And you mean to tell me Beyonce has made albums just as critically acclaimed as those? Mariah Carey? A woman who dominated the 90s doesn’t have an AOTY award.

And yes, of course race plays a part. But Beyoncé’s “writing credits” controversy hasn’t helped either. It’s not a matter of conjecture, she’s had too many scandals surrounding it and that’s been detrimental to her image.

And people forget that despite the fact that basic Taylor Swift is the industry darling, plenty of white artists, especially white women, have been overlooked too.

This was Miley Cyrus’ first Grammys ever! And she’s been in the game for over a decade. Lana Del Rey, Ariana Grande, Olivia Rodrigo… they’ve been snubbed in favor of Adele, Billie Eilish and Taylor Swift.

So can we stop acting like Beyonce has some divine right to win. It’s all arbitrary. Now if she wins it will always be tainted with this Jay Z outburst. Sympathy p*ssy is still p*ssy, but it’s never righteous.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Interesting fact: Eminem has won rap album every year he was nominated (if not, at least 90% of the time). And he’s NEVER won AOTY.

Guess what the MMLP lost to in 2001? Two Against Nature by Steely Dan. I love their music but that was one of their weakest albums. I’m not an Eminem fan at all but that album broke so many records commercially and culturally, it was a joke it lost to that album. Even Radiohead’s Kid A got snubbed too.

I hate repeating myself but Beyonce has over 30 awards. Think how many other R&B singers were overlooked for her who would be grateful for at least one of those and yet she gets her attack dogs to whine on her behalf. It’s completely classless.

Prince doesn’t have a single AOTY award. Purple Rain. Sign O Times. Mother fukking Batman!!! And you mean to tell me Beyonce has made albums just as critically acclaimed as those? Mariah Carey? A woman who dominated the 90s doesn’t have an AOTY award.

And yes, of course race plays a part. But Beyoncé’s “writing credits” controversy hasn’t helped either. It’s not a matter of conjecture, she’s had too many scandals surrounding it and that’s been detrimental to her image.

And people forget that despite the fact that basic Taylor Swift is the industry darling, plenty of white artists, especially white women, have been overlooked too.

This was Miley Cyrus’ first Grammys ever! And she’s been in the game for over a decade. Lana Del Rey, Ariana Grande, Olivia Rodrigo… they’ve been snubbed in favor of Adele, Billie Eilish and Taylor Swift.

So can we stop acting like Beyonce has some divine right to win. It’s all arbitrary. Now if she wins it will always be tainted with this Jay Z outburst. Sympathy p*ssy is still p*ssy, but it’s never righteous.

Eminem becoming the first rapper to win AOTY would have been an absolute DISGRACE to Hip Hop

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jigga talking kinda stupid lol. Just because shorty album/song was the “best *wink wink*” R&B/Soul/whatever category The Grammys threw her shh in that year, doesn’t mean it’s the best overall album of the year…how does that logic even make sense? “We won our Conference more than anyone ever won their Conference but we never won the chip!! It doesn’t make sense!!”. It actually does, lol, two different monsters.

Jigga knows what he’s doing tho, she got an album coming, bet that…and it will win album of the year next year…bet that too. All this shh is nasty and rigged lol, favor for a favor dirty shh

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I still say Beyonce and Taylor Swift are at least on equal footing. If people are making comparisons, and it really is people having Beyonce vs Taylor conversations, they are at least equals.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Good comparison

Solo_87

All Star
Daps

In 2004 Bey won against Erykah Badu, Mary J, Ashanti, and Heather Headley for best R&B vocal performance by a female artist for

The same year she and Luther Vandross won a Grammy for best R&B performance by a duo or group... They were up against TLC, D'Angelo, Gwen Lewis, Isley Brothers

Winner:

Vs

The next year she won in the same category with Stevie Wonder for:

At the time these were not considered controversial wins....even now they aren't

Throughout her 25 year career she has been competing with the likes of Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Ashanti, Ciara, Keyshia Cole, Mary J Blige, Taylor Swift, Adele, Fantasia, Pink, Jennifer Hudson etc... it's not hard to see her picking up more than a few wins

And she's lost more times than not, more than any other female artist... She lost last year against Muni Long for best female R&B performance for example...

As far as her using a lot of writers... I don't see that being an issue otherwise why does she have 33 wins... I can see noms and a few wins here and there to get her to come...but 33? And she isn't the only one

That said, she isn't a martyr....the likes of Prince was under awarded and even more so

It's not even really about her, it's about how the academy continues to find ways to devalue and dismiss black artist ....

AOTY is the top honor of the night. Why has it been primarily reserved for white artist. Artist like Aretha, Prince (especially) ,B, Kanye, Kdot should have at least 1 when Taylor Swift has 4

SZA loosing AOTY Sunday was the latest example you can argue

The Grammys are the oldest and most recognized honor in music history, why shouldn't black artist hold them accountable? ... Black artist not attending only goes so far especially when an average of 10 + million ppl tune in every year regardless. That large of a platform is hard to come by and takes decades to build

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Jigga talking kinda stupid lol. Just because shorty album/song was the “best *wink wink*” R&B/Soul/whatever category The Grammys threw her shh in that year, doesn’t mean it’s the best overall album of the year…how does that logic even make sense? “We won our Conference more than anyone ever won their Conference but we never won the chip!! It doesn’t make sense!!”. It actually does, lol, two different monsters.

Jigga knows what he’s doing tho, she got an album coming, bet that…and it will win album of the year next year…bet that too. All this shh is nasty and rigged lol, favor for a favor dirty shh
She don’t wanna see Taylor next year. Taylor already big AF and a darling and just seems like this NFL shyt has made her even bigger - my parents now know who she is and never heard of her before. If Bey drops, it’ll be end of the year or next year and she’ll submit for 2026

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I still say Beyonce and Taylor Swift are at least on equal footing. If people are making comparisons, and it really is people having Beyonce vs Taylor conversations, they are at least equals.
What metrics matter to you in judging who is currently bigger? Swifts tour did just over a billie, beyonce did $580M. Overall record sales they are in the “same bucket” with Taylor slightly ahead. This is with her being the smaller artist earlier in her career, her sales are still booming, Bey’s sales are declining, and they’ll never be what they were when she dominated the end of the CD era in the 00’s. Taylor’s movie did 6x what Beyoncé’s did ($260M vs $44M). Seeing a tweet and article saying renaissance did 1M equivalent sales, 300k first week…Taylor did 2.8M, 800k first day, 1.1M first week. Probably a BS metric but she’s brought $300M in brand value to the chiefs and has annoyingly been the biggest story of the nfl season. Taylor is bigger than Bey, at minimum, one must admit that where they are right now in their careers, Taylor is inarguably bigger.