Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Dreamville

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Another year another Hip Hop Grammy's Thread.

Its become a semi-tradition for me to make this thread and for all of us to collectively laugh, cry, bytch, moan, and cheer for our favorite artists as they are routinely snubbed. VERY rarely does the grammy's get it "right" to the point where we as an internet Hip Hop community can agree that the deserving MC won their particular category. Though in year's past it seems Hip Hop has indeed made strides when it comes to representation (last year Childish Gambino's wildly popular and controversial single "This Is America" made him the first rapper EVER to take home trophies for both Song and Record Of the Year) there is still much work to be done. With the scandal revolving around ousted Grammy's CEO Deborah Dugan and her explosive claims of voter rigging and sexual misconduct, the reputation of the once vaunted ceremony has been further tarnished.

Overhyped performances? Snubbed artists? Controversial wins? It'll all go down this Sunday at 8:00pm

And with that allow me to present the 2020 Hip Hop Grammy Category Nominations...

Best Rap Performance
"Middle Child," J. Cole
"Suge," DaBaby
"Down Bad," Dreamville Featuring J.I.D, Bas, J. Cole, EARTHGANG & Young Nudy
"Racks in the Middle," Nipsey Hussle Featuring Roddy Ricch & Hit-Boy
"Clout," Offset Featuring Cardi B

Best Rap/Sung Performance
"Higher," DJ Khaled Featuring Nipsey Hussle & John Legend
"Drip Too Hard," Lil Baby & Gunna
"Panini," Lil Nas X
"Ballin," Mustard Featuring Roddy Ricch
"The London," Young Thug Featuring J. Cole & Travis Scott

Best Rap Song
"Bad Idea," Chancelor Bennett, Cordae Dunston, Uforo Ebong & Daniel Hackett, songwriters (YBN Cordae Featuring Chance The Rapper)
"Gold Roses," Noel Cadastre, Aubrey Graham, Anderson Hernandez, Khristopher Riddikk-Tynes, William Leonard Roberts II, Joshua Quinton Scruggs, Leon Thomas III & Ozan Yildirim, songwriters (Rick Ross Featuring Drake)
"A Lot," Jermaine Cole, Dacoury Natche, 21 Savage & Anthony White, songwriters (21 Savage Featuring J. Cole)
"Racks in the Middle," Ermias Asghedom, Dustin James Corbett, Greg Allen Davis, Chauncey Hollis, Jr. & Rodrick Moore, songwriters (Nipsey Hussle Featuring Roddy Ricch & Hit-Boy)
"Suge," DaBaby, Jetsonmade & Pooh Beatz, songwriters (DaBaby)

Best Rap Album
Revenge of the Dreamers III, Dreamville
Championships, Meek Mill
I Am > I Was, 21 Savage
Igor, Tyler, The Creator
The Lost Boy, YBN Cordae

Record of the Year
"Hey, Ma," Bon Iver
"Bad Guy," Billie Eilish
"7 Rings," Ariana Grande
"Hard Place," H.E.R.
"Talk," Khalid
"Old Town Road," Lil Nas X Featuring Billy Ray Cyrus
"Truth Hurts," Lizzo
"Sunflower," Post Malone & Swae Lee

Album of the Year
I,I, Bon Iver
Norman F---ing Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey
When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, Billie Eilish
Thank U, Next, Ariana Grande
I Used to Know Her, H.E.R.
7, Lil Nas X
Cuz I Love You (Deluxe), Lizzo
Father of the Bride, Vampire Weekend

Song of The Year
"Always Remember Us This Way," Natalie Hemby, Lady Gaga, Hillary Lindsey & Lori McKenna, songwriters (Lady Gaga)
"Bad Guy," Billie Eilish O'Connell & Finneas O'Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)
"Bring My Flowers Now," Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth, Tim Hanseroth & Tanya Tucker, songwriters (Tanya Tucker)
"Hard Place," Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris, H.E.R. & Rodney Jerkins, songwriters (H.E.R.)
"Lover," Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)
"Norman F---ing Rockwell," Jack Antonoff & Lana Del Rey, songwriters (Lana Del Rey)
"Someone You Loved," Tom Barnes, Lewis Capaldi, Pete Kelleher, Benjamin Kohn & Sam Roman, songwriters (Lewis Capaldi)
"Truth Hurts," Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, Melissa Jefferson & Jesse Saint John, songwriters (Lizzo)

Best New Artist
Black Pumas
Billie Eilish
Lil Nas X
Lizzo
Maggie Rogers
Rosalia
Tank and the Bangas
Yola

Lil Nas X and Lizzo, though technically billed as "rappers", had neither of their albums listed in the Best Rap Album category but are among the nominees for Album Of The Year and Best New Artist, which is why I included those categories.

The list of Hip Hop performers at the ceremony include Common, The Roots, Tyler The Creator, Lil Nas X, Meek Mill, Roddy Rich, YG, and Run DMC. There was some brief confusion on whether or not legendary MC and 13 time Grammy nominee Nas would perform but that seems not to be the case.

JordanWearinThe45

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Meek been the most visible with his criminal justice reform platform so he’ll win. No way the Grammy voters actually listened to these albums.
To me he really had the best album. And he got Roc Nation machine and Sixers billionaire plug behind him. In addition to everything you mentioned.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
yall really in here anticipating some f*ckin grammy awards??

this board is finished.
they do it every year because it's fun to complain.

That said, this year's Grammys on paper looks fukking awful. Granted, it kinda reflects how the year went and the year was trash really, but even the performances suck. Maybe 2 I'm looking forward to and Aerosmith /Run DMC ain't one of them.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
I'm not gonna watch this live, so I'll just drop my picks now

Red is who I wanna see win. Black is who I think wins. If I only list 1 nominee then what I want is what I think will happen

Best Rap Performance
"Middle Child," J. Cole

I wouldn't be mad if DaBaby won though.

Best Rap Song
"A Lot," Jermaine Cole, Dacoury Natche, 21 Savage & Anthony White, songwriters (21 Savage Featuring J. Cole)
"Racks in the Middle," Ermias Asghedom, Dustin James Corbett, Greg Allen Davis, Chauncey Hollis, Jr. & Rodrick Moore, songwriters (Nipsey Hussle Featuring Roddy Ricch & Hit-Boy)

Best Rap Album
I Am > I Was, 21 Savage
Igor, Tyler, The Creator

Record of the Year
"Truth Hurts," Lizzo

Album of the Year
Even though I wouldn't mind seeing H.E.R. win, I really don't care who wins this category this year. Didn't love any of them.

Song of The Year

"Hard Place," Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris, H.E.R. & Rodney Jerkins, songwriters (H.E.R.)
"Truth Hurts," Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, Melissa Jefferson & Jesse Saint John, songwriters (Lizzo)

Again, wouldn't mind H.E.R. winning, but wasn't feeling these choices.

Best New Artist
Billie Eilish

again, didn't love the choices.

Would like to see Post Malone and Swae Lee win for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for Sunflower (and objectively that's the most competitive batch of nominees they put together)

@Ziggiy for observation, not that it really matters but cool if it does

17. Best R&B Performance
  • COME HOME
    Anderson .Paak Featuring André 3000
Gucci Mane could win with Lizzo for Best R&B Perfomance :laugh:

19. Best R&B Song
A Songwriter(s) Award. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.

• NO GUIDANCE
    Chris Brown, Tyler James Bryant, Nija Charles, Aubrey Graham, Anderson Hernandez, Michee Patrick Lebrun, Joshua Huizar, Noah Shebib & Teddy Walton, songwriters (Chris Brown Featuring Drake)
21. Best R&B Album
For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new R&B recordings.

• VENTURA
    Anderson .Paak
57. Best Comedy Album
For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new recordings

• STICKS & STONES
    Dave Chappelle

Daps
I'm not gonna watch this live, so I'll just drop my picks now

Red is who I wanna see win. Black is who I think wins. If I only list 1 nominee then what I want is what I think will happen

Best Rap Performance
"Middle Child," J. Cole

I wouldn't be mad if DaBaby won though.

Best Rap Song

Best Rap Album
I Am > I Was, 21 Savage
Igor, Tyler, The Creator

Record of the Year
"Truth Hurts," Lizzo

Album of the Year
Even though I wouldn't mind seeing H.E.R. win, I really don't care who wins this category this year. Didn't love any of them.

Song of The Year

Again, wouldn't mind H.E.R. winning, but wasn't feeling these choices.

Best New Artist
Billie Eilish

again, didn't love the choices.

Would like to see Post Malone and Swae Lee win for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for Sunflower (and objectively that's the most competitive batch of nominees they put together)

@Ziggiy for observation, not that it really matters but cool if it does

17. Best R&B Performance
  • COME HOME
    Anderson .Paak Featuring André 3000
Gucci Mane could win with Lizzo for Best R&B Perfomance :laugh:

19. Best R&B Song
A Songwriter(s) Award. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.

• NO GUIDANCE
    Chris Brown, Tyler James Bryant, Nija Charles, Aubrey Graham, Anderson Hernandez, Michee Patrick Lebrun, Joshua Huizar, Noah Shebib & Teddy Walton, songwriters (Chris Brown Featuring Drake)
21. Best R&B Album
For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new R&B recordings.

• VENTURA
    Anderson .Paak
57. Best Comedy Album
For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new recordings

• STICKS & STONES
    Dave Chappelle

Nothing is objective when you are subjectively judging things, and there is no way in hell that Old Town Road will not win Record of the Year when it spent a record-breaking twenty weeks at number one and transcended what music is altogether.