Opinion: The Black Los Angeles I grew up with is slipping away

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
The literal point of the article is that the conditions in LA do not exist for a black family to live in the same manner as she did as a youth. Why? because a decent job can't afford someone the opportunity to own a home and provide for their family.

Trying to craft some giant conspiracy where the cartels,city council members and neo-nazi's all got together and crafted this plan to not only give blacks affordable housing in the cities and counties surrounding LA, but to also create a culture of rampant housing cost increases,buying homes to flip just for fun,subprime mortgage issuing...while also using Texas,Vegas and Atlanta to get on board to appeal to black professionals to move there for lower cost of living and better jobs just sounds fukking stupid.

Bro, I suspect you as being Mexican based on you saying "My Mexican Uncle."

My Mexican Uncle is big on this.

Your Mexican in thread focusing on Black issues, go listen to your Chalino Sánchez and focus on the Mexicans.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Mr. Stanley Williams and Raymond Washington made sure the black Los Angeles experience failed

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt the only reason black people could live in such prime real estate in a warm climate, while remaining in the city of LosAngelas due to redlining?

Its been ages since i read up on the topic of redlining in California, but from what i recall, white banks, white city planners, and white homeowners thought it was beneath them to live in the areas black people currently live in and they activiely placed barriers to keep them from spreading into other areas.

It seems to me that in the absense redlining, whitepeople and hispanics would have boxed out all the land black people currently have in LA , half a century ago. It was never really a choice for black people to live where they currently do in that state, and the powers that be seem to be moving them out of what little land black people in California currently occupy.
This is a big point. The Great Migration(s) and the redlining/gerrymandering of the 50/60s boxed black folks into inner city enclaves and inadvertently made strongholds.

In 30-50 years there won't be many neighborhoods in this country that tally 50%+ Black outside of the South.

Sweet Pea

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
Not redlining, access to education, cacs pulling and passing laws against L.A blacks, being a first gen great migration kids have nothing to do with it either :mjpls: .
That’s the same nikka that gets in his feelings whenever someone speaks on NYC. But than constantly does the same thing about LA :snoop:

Geode

All Star
Daps
I’ve mentioned it before on here but the circumstances and opportunities that drew Black folks to California in the first place aren’t there anymore and aren’t likely ever coming back.

When it comes to the west in general, what remains will be pockets of us in neighborhoods that might have a majority here and there. But we’ll never see what we had in Los Angeles, Oakland, etc. back in the day.
Unfortunately, this can be said for a lot of black communities. Those industry jobs that propped up much of America, really hit the black communities hard (and first) when they disappeared. Not sure what can replace that in today's time.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Do you see how those Mexicans live?

3 to 4 of them living in the SAME ROOM. I'm talking about the ones that are grown. No grown black person I know is going to share the same bedroom with other adults of the same gender :dame:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Unfortunately, this can be said for a lot of black communities. Those industry jobs that propped up much of America, really hit the black communities hard (and first) when they disappeared. Not sure what can replace that in today's time.

STEM Gurus like Tony Stark in Engineering, IT, and other hard majors, while only getting paid 70k a year. :troll:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Unfortunately, the wealthiest black areas in Cali are also getting gentrified

This video is naming zip codes, which is flawed as there are very few zip codes that are majority black, zip codes encompass dozens or hundreds of different neighborhoods. There are black neighborhoods though...

That Alameda zip code is only 19% black now, since they into naming zip codes they may as well have named 95835 in North Natomas (Sacramento) which is 14% black, median household income $106,843:

North Natomas as a whole is 15% black...

This was the Alameda zip code:

Sacramento is a significantly better place to live black than The Bay and is the second best city for Black people in California, has been for at minimum a decade now...

Upon further inspection this video is all kinds of misleading. 90043 is a majority black zip but only has an MHI of $60k. If they just did the View Park-Windsor Hills neighborhood it's 79% black, mhi of $92k, but 90043 zip covers more than just View Park neighborhood...

94585 is 19% black but only $86k mhi. 91001 is $115k mhi but only 23% black. 90746 in Carson is 59% black and $97k mhi...

Literally the only zip they named that is majority black and over $100k household income was Ladera Heights...

They definitely should named multiple Sacramento hoods since there is no consistent criteria...

Last edited: