Passport(coli) bros, Brazil does not want your dusty asses to visit. 2k in your bank account required now

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
No broke boys. If you don't have $2 bands, you shouldn't be traveling anyway. Your ass you be eating cup noodles and saving money. This might be old but I just saw it on tiktok.

Planning a Winter Escape to Rio? Americans Must Now Give Brazilian Government Bank Statements for Entry​

A new rule requires that travelers from the US show Brazil they have at least $2,000 in their bank account​

Published |Updated
Nick Gallagher
Fullscreen button
A group of friends play a game of football on Copacabana beach with a sand sculpture of “cariocas” sunbathing whilst Christ the Redeemer keeps a watchful eye, Rio de Janeiro. Christopher Pillitz/Getty Images
A group of friends play a game of football on Copacabana beach with a sand sculpture of “cariocas” sunbathing whilst Christ the Redeemer keeps a watchful eye, Rio de Janeiro. Christopher Pillitz/Getty Images© Christopher Pillitz/Getty Images
Americans traveling to Brazil in the new year will need to first hand over potentially sensitive information, including a month's worth of bank statements, in exchange for a short-term travel visa.
Starting on Jan. 10, American visitors will now need to fill out an online application and pay $80 in exchange for a visa that allows entry into the country for 10 years, according to travel blog View From the Wing.
Visitors need to prove they have at least $2,000 in their bank account and must show flight reservations with their arrival and departure times in order to be approved for the visa.
Fullscreen button
Aerial view of FIFA Women's World Cup Trophy at Christ the Redeemer Statue on March 29, 2023 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Wagner Meier/Getty Images's World Cup Trophy at Christ the Redeemer Statue on March 29, 2023 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Wagner Meier/Getty Images
Aerial view of FIFA Women's World Cup Trophy at Christ the Redeemer Statue on March 29, 2023 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Wagner Meier/Getty Images© Provided by The Messenger
The Brazilian government announced in March it was rolling back a 2019-era waiver that allowed travelers from the U.S., Canada, Australia, and Japan to visit the country without a visa.
Former President Jair Bolsonaro had lifted the travel restrictions with the hope of boosting international travel to Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, and other bustling tourist destinations inside the county.
In a September press release, the Brazilian government said it would consider lifting the requirements only if the United States agrees to loosen its own stringent visa requirements for Brazilian citizens.
Brazil has already come to such an agreement with Japan, whose citizens can continue to enter the country without a visa.
It's unclear how the travel visa might affect international tourism to the Latin American nation, which saw a 74% spike in travelers between January and October this year, according to TravelPulse.
The U.S. State Department has a longstanding travel advisory for Brazil, warning American travelers to "exercise increased caution" due to crime.
:pachaha: :dead:

Blown Moon

All Star
Bushed
Daps
This reeks of a 3rd world Latin American scam to easily identify rich Americans primed for getting robbed or extorted.

:mjlol:

This is what I thought.

I will just move money around and have 4-5k in the account I show.

A little sense goes a long way in keeping you from being tied up and robbed somewhere.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
They only doing it because the US requires the same of them.

Not really all that shocking. I can't remember if it was Jamaica, Colombia, or Ghana but they asked for bank account statements before my trip :manny:

/thread.

Visa reciprocity, essentially if Country A puts a certain Visa requirement on Country B, Country B will do the same to Country A.

Example, a US passport holder can travel, visa free, to UK for 90 days. Vice versa is true.

Since Brazilian citizens can’t travel to the US without a visa, they’re doing the same to US citizens. Not all countries practice visa reciprocity, though. US citizens can get a visa on arrival in Kenya for like $50 but a Kenyan citizen will still require a visa to come to the US (and no such this as Visa on arrival).

The $2K bank account statement is pretty standard if you’re coming from certain countries.

When I applied for a Schengen visa (EU visa) in 2020, as a Nigerian, I had to show 3-months bank statements and also buy medical insurance for my trip (like $35 bucks or so). And for the bank statements, they don’t go through your transactions. You just need to show the positive balance at the end of statement cycle and have it notarized by your bank. That one page that shows the summary of your account after all credits and debits are processed. Some places even allow you to send in notarized paystubs as proof of funds or a letter of employment from your job.

All business as usual stuff. It’s really not that deep / not a scam.

Last edited: