invalid

Banned
Daps
Ya'll don't think light skin people face the same bullshyt that darker brothers and sisters do? You don't think we get discriminated on? Harassed? Turned down for jobs we are qualified for? Profiled when we are in stores?

Seems like dark skinned people have it worse historically and now.

Tell that shyt to a light skinned person. We deal with the same bullshyt every other AA person does.

I think it’s wrong for us to play the oppression Olympics on which skin tone had it “worse”. All of us have been through some fukked up shyt by way of just being “Negro”.

But I do want to address the idea that “dark skin” had it historically worse.

The Wilmington Coup, the first and only successfull coup in United States history, was instigated by a white woman named Rebecca Felton, a journalist with the Atlanta Constitution, and the wife of a Georgia populist politician, who had this to say on the matter of the wives of white farmers:

When there is not enough religion in the pulpit to organize a crusade against sin; nor justice in the court house to promptly punish crime; nor manhood enough in the nation to put a sheltering arm about innocence and virtue — if it needs lynching to protect woman’s dearest possession from the ravening human beasts — then I say lynch, a thousand times a week if necessary.”

manly.jpg

Alexander Manly (pictured above), the editor of the Wilmington Daily Record, the largest black daily publication at the time, published this in response to Felton....

.....We suggest that the whites guard their women more closely, as Mrs. Felton says, thus giving no opportunity for the human fiend, be he white or black. You leave your goods out of doors and then complain because they are taken away. Poor white men are careless in the matter of protecting their women, especially on the farms. They are careless of their conduct toward them and our experience teaches us that the women of that race are not any more particular in the matter of clandestine meetings with colored men than are the white men with colored women. Meetings of this kind go on for some time until the woman’s infatuation, or the man’s boldness, bring attention to them, and the man is lynched for rape. Every Negro lynched is called a “big burly, black brute,” when in fact many of those who have thus been dealt with had white men for their fathers, and were not only not “black” and “burly” but were sufficiently attractive for white girls of culture and refinement to fall in love with them as is very well known to all.

Mrs. Felton must begin at the fountain head if she wishes to purify the stream.

Teach your men purity. Let virtue be something more than an excuse for them to intimidate and torture a helpless people. Tell your men that it is no worse for a black man to be intimate with a white woman than for the white man to be intimate with a colored woman.

You set yourselves down as a lot of carping hypocrites in fact you cry aloud for the virtue of your women while you seek to destroy the morality of ours. Don’t ever think that your women will remain pure while you are debauching ours. You sow the seed — the harvest will come in due time.

I don’t want to even touch upon the entirety of this soul burning ether Manly delivered to white southerners, but it was so soul burning that the white men of Wilmington’s Democratic Party used it as ammo to commence a coup against the city’s black Republican office holders.

What I do want to highlight is the prevailing thought that most of the black men being lynched at the time under accusations of rape were light skin men.

Every Negro lynched is called a “big burly, black brute,” when in fact many of those who have thus been dealt with had white men for their fathers, and were not only not “black” and “burly” but were sufficiently attractive for white girls of culture and refinement to fall in love with them as is very well known to all.

So I don’t think it’s fair for us to play this oppression Olympics as we all have felt the pains of white supremacy. I’m not claiming that light skin people had it worse either, but that they suffered along with their darker skin brethren.

What happened to Manly? The black business leaders rejected him for his stinging response citing him as the reason for the Wilmington Coup and the violence that befell the city. Manly had no backing from the black community and was ran out of town while his business was burned to the ground.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I think it’s wrong for us to play the oppression Olympics on which skin tone had it “worse”. All of us have been through some fukked up shyt by way of just being “Negro”.

But I do want to address the idea that “dark skin” had it historically worse.

The Wilmington Coup, the first and only successfull coup in United States history, was instigated by a white woman named Rebecca Felton, a journalist with the Atlanta Constitution, and the wife of a Georgia populist politician, who had this to say on the matter of the wives of white farmers:

When there is not enough religion in the pulpit to organize a crusade against sin; nor justice in the court house to promptly punish crime; nor manhood enough in the nation to put a sheltering arm about innocence and virtue — if it needs lynching to protect woman’s dearest possession from the ravening human beasts — then I say lynch, a thousand times a week if necessary.”

manly.jpg

Alexander Manly, the editor of the Wilmington Daily Record, published this in response to Felton....

A Mrs. Felton from Georgia, makes a speech before the Agricultural Society, at Tybee, Ga., in which she advocates lynching as an extreme measure. This woman makes a strong plea for womanhood and if the alleged crimes of rape were half so frequent as is oftimes reported, her plea would be worthy of consideration.

Mrs. Felton, like many other so-called Christians, loses sight of the basic principle of the religion of Christ in her plea for one class of people as against another. If a missionary spirit is essential for the uplifting of the poor white girls, why is it? The morals of the poor white people are on a par with their colored neighbors of like conditions and if one doubts that statement let him visit among them. The whole lump needs to be leavened by those who profess so much religion and showing them that the presence of virtue is an essential for the life of any people.

Mrs. Felton begins well for she admits that education will better protect the girls on the farm from the assaulter. This we admit and it should not be confied to the white any more than to the colored girls. The papers are filled often with reports of rapes of white women and the subsequent lynchings of the alleged rapists. The editors pour forth volumes of aspersions against all Negroes because of the few who may be guilty. If the papers and speakers of the other race would condemn the commission of the crime because it is crime and not try to make it appear that the Negroes were the only criminals, they would find their strongest allies in the intelligent Negroes themselves; and together the whites and blacks would root the evil out of both races.

We suggest that the whites guard their women more closely, as Mrs. Felton says, thus giving no opportunity for the human fiend, be he white or black. You leave your goods out of doors and then complain because they are taken away. Poor white men are careless in the matter of protecting their women, especially on the farms. They are careless of their conduct toward them and our experience teaches us that the women of that race are not any more particular in the matter of clandestine meetings with colored men than are the white men with colored women. Meetings of this kind go on for some time until the woman’s infatuation, or the man’s boldness, bring attention to them, and the man is lynched for rape. Every Negro lynched is called a “big burly, black brute,” when in fact many of those who have thus been dealt with had white men for their fathers, and were not only not “black” and “burly” but were sufficiently attractive for white girls of culture and refinement to fall in love with them as is very well known to all.

Mrs. Felton must begin at the fountain head if she wishes to purify the stream.

Teach your men purity. Let virtue be something more than an excuse for them to intimidate and torture a helpless people. Tell your men that it is no worse for a black man to be intimate with a white woman than for the white man to be intimate with a colored woman.

You set yourselves down as a lot of carping hypocrites in fact you cry aloud for the virtue of your women while you seek to destroy the morality of ours. Don’t ever think that your women will remain pure while you are debauching ours. You sow the seed — the harvest will come in due time.

I don’t want to even touch upon the entirety of this soul burning ether Manly delivered to white southerners, but it was so soul burning that the white men of Wilmington’s Democratic Party used it as ammo to commence a coup against the city’s black Republican office holders.

What I do want to highlight is the prevailing thought that most of the black men being lynched at the time under accusations of rape were light skin men.

Every Negro lynched is called a “big burly, black brute,” when in fact many of those who have thus been dealt with had white men for their fathers, and were not only not “black” and “burly” but were sufficiently attractive for white girls of culture and refinement to fall in love with them as is very well known to all.

So I don’t think it’s fair for us to play this oppression Olympics as we all have felt the pains of white supremacy. I’m not claiming that light skin people had it worse either, but that they suffered along with their darker skin brethren.

What happened to Manly? The black business leaders rejected him for his stinging response citing him as the reason for the Wilmington Coup and the violence that befell the city. Manly had no backing from the black community and was ran out of town while his business was burned to the ground.
The thing is, even that bolded quote seems to imply that dark skinned people are considered less attractive and brutish compared to light skinned people. It seems to imply that being lynched was a result of their lighter skin giving them more access to culture and refinement than dark skin people have access to. I don't really think this counters the idea of darker people having worse but more reinforces it. but despite that the end result is clearly awful. being light or dark has historically been just oppressive as long you still black.

Rollo Goodlove

Palestine Titty
Daps
Reppin
California, America
The thing is, even that bolded quote seems to imply that dark skinned people are considered less attractive and brutish compared to light skinned people. It seems to imply that being lynched was a result of their lighter skin giving them more access to culture and refinement than dark skin people have access to. I don't really think this counters the idea of darker people having worse but more reinforces it. but despite that the end result is clearly awful. being light or dark has historically been just oppressive as long you still black.
What ethnicity are you

Daps
Its harder being darker skinned anti blackness was made against people with darker skin.

But def light skin people see racism as well...

I dont think its playing oppression olympics saying darker people have it harder its facts.

To white people u all the same but they will favor a lighter person over a dark of they have to pick 2 blacks.

Daps
Hate Speech
Its harder being darker skinned anti blackness was made against people with darker skin.

I dont think its playing oppression olympics saying darker people have it harder its facts.

To white people u all the same but they will favor a lighter person over a dark of they have to pick 2 blacks.

We def see tha same shyt darkskins see being lightskin. But we get more hate from darkskin mfs cuz majority of them hate they complexion then they impregnate all tha lightskin broads just to have lightskin babies and leave them to be single mothers.

Yet lightskin niccas accept yall color :yeshrug: no business born rat soup eatin mfs

Daps
We def see tha same shyt darkskins see being lightskin. But we get more hate from darkskin mfs cuz majority of them hate they complexion then they impregnate all tha lightskin broads just to have lightskin babies and leave them to be single mothers.

Yet lightskin niccas accept yall color :yeshrug: no business born rat soup eatin mfs

Anti blackness was made against darkskin people.

And the rest of what u said isnt true. There plenty of dark people who dont hate on light people

Rollo Goodlove

Palestine Titty
Daps
Reppin
California, America

How do you know if you never been lightskin

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
How do you know if you never been lightskin
Because being one complexion doesnt always mean your parents are the same shade, my dad is light skinned, my mom is dark, and i’m in the middle of them two. I feel like that qualifies me to know a little bit about both perspectives.

Daps
:laff: @admin that ain't no hate speech, that's dolomite mf. You needa update these servers while you tryna send a nicca points tho no business born rat soup eatin mf