Supporter
Daps
DcprWG8.png

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I moved to the bay are. I have not found one jamaican spot that make good oxtails or plantains. Everything is straight butt ass .
We don’t have a Caribbean population like that. What you expect? That’s like moving to Iowa and complaining about the lack of good Japanese food.

That said, the only good Jamaican food in the bay, IMO, is Back A Yard Grill - you gonna have to hit Menlo park or San Jose for it.

Nah i havent. I been to flavas which is the highest rated joint in sf and was a 6/10 . Ill give it a shot though, appreciate you telling me about em
Back a yard killin flavas. I made the game time decision to go to flavas over back a yard due to Yelp ratings and being closer. Definitely should’ve just gone the extra 20 miles to Menlo Park

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
IMO most restaurants are not worth the hard earn money. Majority restaurants are just good for convenience and social setting. People should not be eating out daily.

My unpopular opinion….I would rather eat out once a month at a expensive restaurant then eat out multiple times a month at a mid tier restaurant
Same, we’ve been burned lately by the wild variance in quality at once reliable mid tier restaurants. Quality gone down while quantity and service has gone down and prices went up. We been at more chain restaurants than ever before, they mid too but they’re consistent. You know what you’re getting and the prices are more stable

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
And you in Detroit? I'm not too far from there...you need to lmk the places to avoid lol
Yea

Avoid Damn near everything lol

Chimetime dude not lying we slacking out here

Idk whats going on its like 1 out of 10 restaurants be worth a damn. shyt be either ok or trash

Nikola’s on telegraph is on point. Huge portions great tasting. Thats the only place im stamping. Other places too hit or miss to recommend

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Yeah naw Mintos is where its at, its the only Caribbean spot in the Bay I would recommend unconditionally. Make sure you hit the restaurant on 15th, there's also a juice bar down the street and a store in North Oakland but the restaurant is what I'm talking about.
Bruh what!? Back A Yard is hands down the best Caribbean, well Jamaican, in the bay.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Bruh what!? Back A Yard is hands down the best Caribbean, well Jamaican, in the bay.

Naw. I grew up going to the OG spot on Willow in East Menlo along with a bunch in that area that don't even exist anymore (Mango Cafe, Coconut Grill, etc.) and been to pretty much all of the jamaican spots in the Bay including the new spot in Downtown SJ that opened a year ago. The staple plates & drinks at Mintos (jerk chicken, curry goat, rum punch, sorrel, etc.) >>>> the rest by a large margin.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Naw. I grew up going to the OG spot on Willow in East Menlo along with a bunch in that area that don't even exist anymore (Mango Cafe, Coconut Grill, etc.) and been to pretty much all of the jamaican spots in the Bay including the new spot in Downtown SJ that opened a year ago. The staple plates & drinks at Mintos (jerk chicken, curry goat, rum punch, sorrel, etc.) >>>> the rest by a large margin.
We gonna disagree minors ain’t seeing Back A Yard

But what’s the new spot in DT SJ? I’m never in San Jose but I grew up on a secondary diet of Jamaican food thanks to my bff, so I’m always hunting for good spots. Learned to cook most the stuff I like myself, but I ain’t past grabbin a plate

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
We gonna disagree minors ain’t seeing Back A Yard

But what’s the new spot in DT SJ? I’m never in San Jose but I grew up on a secondary die at of Jamaican food thanks to my bff, so I’m always hunting for good spots. Learned to cook most the stuff I like myself, but I ain’t past grabbin a plate

^That's the new one in SJ

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yea

Avoid Damn near everything lol

Chimetime dude not lying we slacking out here

Idk whats going on its like 1 out of 10 restaurants be worth a damn. shyt be either ok or trash

Nikola’s on telegraph is on point. Huge portions great tasting. Thats the only place im stamping. Other places too hit or miss to recommend

Bro he was KILLING everything

I went to a Mediterranean spot in Dearborn and even my aunt was shyttin on them and she part Lebanese. There's a Thai restaurant I went to in Detroit that was solid tho

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
We don’t have a Caribbean population like that. What you expect? That’s like moving to Iowa and complaining about the lack of hood Japanese food.

That said, the only good Jamaican food in the bay, IMO, is Back A Yard Grill - you gonna have to hit Menlo park or San Jose for it.

Back a yard killin flavas. I made the game time decision to go to flavas over back a yard due to Yelp ratings and being closer. Definitely should’ve just gone the extra 20 miles to Menlo Park
Aint even know breh, i thought since socal wasnt that far the food style and consistency woulda brushed off into the bay but that wasnt the case. Ill definitely check that out though.

Thank you for the plug breh