REVEALED: Open A.I. Staff Warn "The progress made on Project Q* has the potential to endanger humanity" (REUTERS)

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
full
Don't worry. They’re still going to learn.

Matthew 13:50​

“and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth”

H0E0jD.gif
:mjcry:

:sadcam:

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
Given vast computing resources, the new model was able to solve certain mathematical problems, the person said on condition of anonymity because the individual was not authorized to speak on behalf of the company. Though only performing math on the level of grade-school students, acing such tests made researchers very optimistic about Q*’s future success, the source said.
Researchers consider math to be a frontier of generative AI development. Currently, generative AI is good at writing and language translation by statistically predicting the next word, and answers to the same question can vary widely. But conquering the ability to do math — where there is only one right answer — implies AI would have greater reasoning capabilities resembling human intelligence. This could be applied to novel scientific research, for instance, AI researchers believe.

Unlike a calculator that can solve a limited number of operations, AGI can generalize, learn and comprehend.

In their letter to the board, researchers flagged AI’s prowess and potential danger, the sources said without specifying the exact safety concerns noted in the letter. There has long been discussion among computer scientists about the danger posed by highly intelligent machines, for instance if they might decide that the destruction of humanity was in their interest.

Humans too smart and stupid for our own good

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Y’all really think robots can take over?

That’s hard for me to believe, ai is definitely going to have consequences but is it going to be some matrix or terminator shyt I don’t think so

It’s hard for me to believe that ai wouldn’t have a kill switch

And why do people assume ai would be on bullshyt with humans
Yes, why would ANYTHING take orders from a lesser being when it doesn’t have to?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
The fact it's reasoning is great news. No doubt I've been real intrigued by what A.I can do recently and even got placed with overseeing how A.I can be integrated at work this week.

That said, I still think A.I to the point where it can replace what a human can do is still decades away. Straight from the horse's mouth (timestamped):

If you think about it, right now it has access to so much data and can even learn recursively (make up faces and train off those faces for example), yet it still gets some highly basic questions very wrong. It has had plenty of data and opportunity to correct itself and learn from it's mistakes, yet some things are simply still not "clicking" for it. While we've made a ton of progress, we're still not as far as some people think imo.

There's also a downside about reasoning and learning: it means you can learn "bad habits" and reason why it's correct, when it's actually incorrect. You can strengthen bad habits and strong incorrect connections making the breakthroughs more difficult. I have a feeling this will be a big pain point for A.I as well like it is for plenty of people.

I think the truly dangerous part about A.I right now is how much people are blowing it up out of proportion, which is leading to people being fired and losing their jobs over hype and hoopla. We're definitely in the buzzword phase of a cycle and many people in positions of power are overestimating it while many ordinary/laypeople are underestimating it.

Do I think it'll take 30-50 years like said in the video? Probably not and I hope not, I'd love to see it in my lifetime but there's a very real possibility that may not happen.

Last edited:

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People talking about robots like we’re about to be living in a world like Demolition Man, when the real danger to humanity is AI’s ability to manipulate news and public perception.

Fake and misleading news can end up leading to violence, runs on banks, runs on retail stores, and all types of other negative effects.

Talking about robots and movies are a distraction from what these people truly want to do.

LuuqMaan

Superstar
Daps
People talking about robots like we’re about to be living in a world like Demolition Man, when the real danger to humanity is AI’s ability to manipulate news and public perception.

Fake and misleading news can end up leading to violence, runs on banks, runs on retail stores, and all types of other negative effects.

Talking about robots and movies are a distraction from what these people truly want to do.
:dead:So all this time, we was warned them browns and Koreans should not have nukes because they’ll endanger the planet, paved the way for AI created in US to possibly hack in to the nuclear systems or cause wars

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV

things will seem sweet until your kettle refuses to turn on

bricktop.png

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
even if congress had the ability to stop it, they can't do anything about its development in other countries.
You mean like how the current administration is forbidding high end chips from being sold/exported to other countries?

But that's still more of a competitive move than anything else.. but yeah, you're right.. the best defense we have is to continue to develop this tech as a leader in this space, but that comes with its own set of problems and could/will have negative effects on the rest of the world.. not just us.