SELMA' STAR DAVID OYELOWO BLACK BRIT CAN PLAY HARRIET TUBMAN White Actors Don't Get This Criticism.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
From TMZ:

David Oyelowo has no issue with a black, British actress playing an iconic African-American like Harriet Tubman -- despite lacking roots to American slavery -- because acting is acting.

Yes, you could say the British actor was just defending the home team, but the discussion about Cynthia Erivo's casting as Tubman has some personal relevance for David. Remember, he played MLK in the Oscar-winning film, "Selma" -- so he tackled the Tubman issue with Van Lathan on 'The Red Pill Podcast.'

David said he doesn't understand the controversy, and in the most gracious way possible (it's that British accent) added ... an actor's background shouldn't matter, if he or she gets the job done.

The debate around the Tubman movie is that critics think it's an insult a slap in the face to not have an African-American woman in a role that has so much cultural significance.

David did raise an interesting counterpoint -- about Americans playing Brits -- and also white British actors playing American roles. Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln, or Christian Bale as dikk Cheney. David wondered where was the outrage when those movies were cast??

He suggests there's a "fight for the scraps" mentality in the black community that divides fellow actors instead of bringing them together. Watch the clip ... thought provoking for sure.

And, check out Van and David's full convo on 'The Red Pill' podcast.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:rudy: I have no problem with Africans but these nikkas acting like what’s the big deal when it comes to ethnicity.

:rudy: I guarantee if I called an Yoruba an Igbo and Vice Versa they would be pissed ( and rightfully so)

:rudy: I’ll go one step further. Imagine if Denzel Washington went to Nigeria and played Emeka during a biography of the Biafra war I bet my last dollar those Nigerians would be pissed ( and rightfully so)

:rudy: I bet if Sanna Lathan played Ellen Johnson in an biography it would not be reciprocated so easily in Liberia.

:rudy: FOH.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Idc what "white actors" do, there's no comparison. But if non-AA actors from other countries are not born or immersed in the culture, then they can't depict it in a movie or show. They may be able to translate the dialect but the spirit of the issue does not. That's the reason. Acting or not - you cannot portray what you are not part of, it's not in the DNA. That's why those movies where they try always flop. Birth of Nation, Malcolm X, etc. were such a real passionate depiction of the era bc they are part of the AA culture- the origins.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Let me get this straight - How can anyone outside of AA/ADOS culture can play the role of foundational blacks instead of black people whose heritage and effort provided the foundation?? That's a contradiction and conflict of interest. I'm really tired of this - everyone outside of the culture can have input into our feelings and opinions but when we do so by staking our claim to what we are entitled to, it is viewed as us creating "division" or conflictual. No- it's statements like this that makes us not want to be inclusive- always talking slick or with the subliminal shading.

and fuk TMZ too, if non-AAs really wanted to have a genuine discourse- they wouldn't be so quick to run to these white established gossip sources and websites to vent and complain about the situation.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I disagree OP

And while we’re at it Brits and AA’s shouldn’t play Africans ...not that I’m African but I like authenticity in my movies ...

If I hear one more lousy Mandela accent :pacspit:

Also ...

:ufdup:Will Smith for butchering that Nigerian accent and ruining an otherwise good movie ...

Then have the nerve to complain about not being nominated for an Oscar

:mjlol:

Last edited:

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
Let me get this straight - How can anyone outside of AA/ADOS culture can play the role of foundational blacks instead of black people whose heritage and effort provided the foundation?? That's a contradiction and conflict of interest. I'm really tired of this - everyone outside of the culture can have input into our feelings and opinions but when we do so by staking our claim to what we are entitled to, it is viewed as us creating "division" or conflictual. No- it's statements like this that makes us not want to be inclusive- always talking slick or with the subliminal shading.

and fuk TMZ too, if non-AAs really wanted to have a genuine discourse- they wouldn't be so quick to run to these white established gossip sources and websites to vent and complain about the situation.

you not tired yet?

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
MV5BMjM1NTkxNjkzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgwMDAxMzE@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BZGJjYmIzZmQtNWE4Yy00ZGVmLWJkZGEtMzUzNmQ4ZWFlMjRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BZGRlYmNjYzgtM2QzYS00MWI1LWFmM2YtOWY1Zjc3MThlYWUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODU2MDg1NzU@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMjAyMzExMDM1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcyMTQ5Mg@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTU5ODI3MzM3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTcwNDcxMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg