SELMA' STAR DAVID OYELOWO BLACK BRIT CAN PLAY HARRIET TUBMAN White Actors Don't Get This Criticism.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Are you playing dumb? America doesn't care about black america like that right now. Look at the current culture of movies, music, reality shows etc, it's fukking garbage.

that ain't got a damn thing to do w/what i'm talking about bruh...we're talking about actors :why:

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that ain't got a damn thing to do w/what i'm talking about bruh...we're talking about actors :why:

Yes, black american mainstream movies right now is BAD, fukking terrible. The 90s was way superior.

They can bring as many black brits over here as they want... the cinema is still absolutely horrendous apart from a few gems, which is extremely rare.:yeshrug:

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
His Co-Star In Selma

Carmen Ejogo, who played
Coretta Scott King in Selma, told BuzzFeed News, “I’ve been trying to convince myself that being British has had no bearing on any of this, but actually I think that’s where it served me well. I’m not as entrenched in the history so immediately. I didn’t know who Coretta was until I played her the first time. And I think I have permission —that’s the definition of the artist, in my opinion —to be a little deviant. It wasn’t as daunting as it might have been for an American actress. An African-American actress …that might have been a bit more of a challenge.

:mjpls:”

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
From TMZ:

David Oyelowo has no issue with a black, British actress playing an iconic African-American like Harriet Tubman -- despite lacking roots to American slavery -- because acting is acting.

Yes, you could say the British actor was just defending the home team, but the discussion about Cynthia Erivo's casting as Tubman has some personal relevance for David. Remember, he played MLK in the Oscar-winning film, "Selma" -- so he tackled the Tubman issue with Van Lathan on 'The Red Pill Podcast.'

David said he doesn't understand the controversy, and in the most gracious way possible (it's that British accent) added ... an actor's background shouldn't matter, if he or she gets the job done.

The debate around the Tubman movie is that critics think it's an insult a slap in the face to not have an African-American woman in a role that has so much cultural significance.

David did raise an interesting counterpoint -- about Americans playing Brits -- and also white British actors playing American roles. Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln, or Christian Bale as dikk Cheney. David wondered where was the outrage when those movies were cast??

He suggests there's a "fight for the scraps" mentality in the black community that divides fellow actors instead of bringing them together. Watch the clip ... thought provoking for sure.

And, check out Van and David's full convo on 'The Red Pill' podcast.

That's right because there are scraps. Point the finger where it belongs - at the casting directors and the caudiences that don't support.

generic-username

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
:rudy: I have no problem with Africans but these nikkas acting like what’s the big deal when it comes to ethnicity.

:rudy: I guarantee if I called an Yoruba an Igbo and Vice Versa they would be pissed ( and rightfully so)

:rudy: I’ll go one step further. Imagine if Denzel Washington went to Nigeria and played Emeka during a biography of the Biafra war I bet my last dollar those Nigerians would be pissed ( and rightfully so)

:rudy: I bet if Sanna Lathan played Ellen Johnson in an biography it would not be reciprocated so easily in Liberia.

:rudy: FOH.
If you think Nigerians will be pissed about a Denzel playing an Igbo man during the Biafran war, you clearly know nothing about Nigerians. We will probably just laugh at his bad accent. Black Americans have played Mandela, Idi Amin.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Fake outrage

Next the NBA won't be allowed to recruit foreigners because they are denying people at home the opportunity.

Where does it end?

He made the same point I did. White actors are not doing this and they are twice as likely to have foreigners play Americans in white roles than otherwise. Canadians, Brits, Australians, French.

The real controversy with this particular actor is her past statements about Americans.