Shaq on why his Daughters can stay home as ‘long as they want’ but Sons to GTFO at 18

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Shaquille O'Neal is revealing why he'll let his daughters live at home for far longer than his sons.

On Tuesday's episode of The Pivot Podcast, the former NBA star, 50, shares that his three daughters can "stay as long as [they] want" while his three sons "got to go" when they turn 18.

O'Neal and his ex-wife Shaunie O'Neal share four kids together — Shareef, Amirah, Shaqir and Me'arah — while Shaunie has a son, Myles, from a previous relationship, and O'Neal has a daughter, Taahirah, with his former girlfriend, Arnetta Yardbourgh.

"I like my girls a little bit better," O'Neal admits. "Because as a man you have to protect, provide and love your woman."

"I trust them more because they're more sensitive, they're more caring and they're thinkers," he adds of his daughters. "You know how boys are. My boys, you bring something in front of them and they're gone."

Clive42

All Star
Daps
In this modern unaffordable era, I dont believe in kicking out your kids when they turn 18, unless circumstances necessitated it.

Maybe not this family cos of course their dad is ballin, but its all albout the principle

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
If he's supporting their ventures it makes sense. They aren't broke.

Broke families doing this makes no sense unless kid is a dangerous fukkup.

Black families can't afford to do this to their children.

Pitch in on bills and stack. How the hell else are you going to be able to afford property in America working a bullshyt 95 and paying rent

Last edited:

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
What's the problem?

Men have a different natural role than women so when they are children they need to be raised different.

I just hope he aint overdoing it. That's how you get broken/repressed young men and spoiled entitled young women.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
The problem is saying he loves his sons less.

Why is there this tendency to ignore issues and twist shyt until it matches your sensibilities.

Regardless of resources available, how would you react to your dad treating you harsher than your sisters because he loves you less, and then trying to justify why he loves you less.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is exactly right. Not saying you count allow sons to say. But imo girls should be required by law to stay in their fathers home. Unless he signs off on her leaving,or marries her off

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
He's said this a couple times.

He doesn't want his daughters potentially rushing into bad situations and doesn't want his sons to be typical lazy celebrity children.

He said he'll support anything his sons come to him with if its thought out. He's not abandoning them, just passing along a bit of that Sarge energy. :manny::heh:

And everyone knows daughters generally take better care of you in old age. :lolbron:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The parents balance each other out. The Mom is probably tougher on the girls.
Also, Shaq always credits his step-father's strict/stern ways for making him the man that he is.
Shaq easily could have become a statistic.

He altered his approach towards his kids slightly, because their circumstances(and resources) are different than his were, but Sarge's example and intent is now Shaq's.

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
I agree with the sentiment. As a man u should eventually wanna get out on ur own and start ur own family. Shaqs sons have enough of a head start to leave at 18, hell I'm pretty sure they want to.

The age u should leave will of course depend on circumstance, but as a man ur natural instinct should lead u away from ur fathers home eventually

Nothing compares to being THE MAN of the house :obama: