Should Trans-Atlantic Slavery be treated the same way as the Holocaust?

larsattack

All Star
Daps
Treated the same in what way?

There already are museums about slavery. Charles wright museum has a slave ship remodel you can walk through.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
In contemporary discussions, the two are often not compared with each other because of the distance in time between the two. I think this is probably due to recency bias.

But should Trans Atlantic Slavery, the largest forced migration of humans ever, be treated the same way, in contemporary discussions, as the Holocaust?

Should there be slavery museums, slavery memorials, etc? What can be done to ensure Slavery is taken as seriously as the Holocaust?
nope-danny-de-vito.gif

It’s purely because the world,especially white Americans lack empathy for the atrocities done to us.Hell Ruby Bridges probably isn’t even old enough to fully collect her social security, but white Americans was ready to burn the nation down last summer because stories like hers were told to their kids.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
But...there are slavery museums and memorials.

They're certainly both viewed as two of the greatest atrocities in modern history and should be treated the same. Obviously the big difference is the Holocaust was much more recent. I've been in classes with people whose grandparents were killed in the Holocaust.
Yes I did; and that's how I interpreted it. You're asking if they should "be treated the same." Slavery museums/memorials already exist. They already have the same for the holocaust. Are you not American or something? What possible responses are you looking for?

"NO THEY SHOULDNT BE THE SAME....BECAUSE X IS WORSE THAN Y"
I know they exist. I've been to one in the US and one in Ghana. They are quite recent compared to how long Slavery existed. That's part of the reason I ask if the atrocities be treated the same. Black people's Israel is Liberia...but I doubt most black people even know that. In fact, I think Liberians would be called tethers here...despite being FBA. There are people alive now whose grandparents were slaves and slave owners.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Worse. The systematic racism, redlining, prison-industrial complex, school-to-prison pipeline, tuskegee experiment, lack of funding for black communities, segregation, job discrimination. All for almost 200 years after slavery ended. Do you want me to keep going on?
And that's just the United States. The transatlantic slave trade involved multiple countries in the Americas. Now, I do think with not comparing the Holocaust with the TST (they are both tragedies) but the TST should be remembered more than it is now.

Daps
It was far worse than the Holocaust. Slavery and the culture of anti-blackness it birthed is still deeply influential in modern society. In fact, systemic outgrowths of slavery served as the template for the Nuremberg laws that preceded the Final Solution.

:francis:

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Daps
I know they exist. I've been to one in the US and one in Ghana. They are quite recent compared to how long Slavery existed. That's part of the reason I ask if the atrocities be treated the same. Black people's Israel is Liberia...but I doubt most black people even know that. In fact, I think Liberians would be called tethers here...despite being FBA. There are people alive now whose grandparents were slaves and slave owners.

My friend, you are shaking a table ooo

Can you off your mic?

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
But...there are slavery museums and memorials.

They're certainly both viewed as two of the greatest atrocities in modern history and should be treated the same. Obviously the big difference is the Holocaust was much more recent. I've been in classes with people whose grandparents were killed in the Holocaust.
The big difference is the Holocaust involved white Europeans and slavery involved black people. Furthermore, black people were getting bombed, lynched, etc before and after the Holocaust right here in America post slavery.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
The big difference is the Holocaust involved white Europeans and slavery involved black people. Furthermore, black people were getting bombed, lynched, etc before and after the Holocaust right here in America post slavery.
So that begs the question...Was Whoopi Goldberg right? Was the Holocaust not about race? Would white people care as much about it if it was black people?