Skater XL | XB1/PS4/PC

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I liked Skate because I could feel like I was really skating without having to actually skate, as opposed to just pressing buttons and doing extra cartoony shyt, which finally got old in Tony Hawk. This is even more of simulation?

YES! SkaterXL is basically next-gen free skate: the game:russ:. I’m an actual skateboarder breh I really be jumping down 10 stairs n shyt this game scratches that itch:wow:. Gameplay is harder and more nuanced but much more rewarding and satisfying. You can land tricks but still might retry them for another 15 minutes just so you can get the steez right:ohlawd:. There's no story mode or progression system/unlocks, but pure gameplay and some dope ass maps:manny:. PC has multiplayer and mods so that version can pretty much do anything you'd want out of a skateboarding game as well

Part of me wants to run out and cop this right now, but I can honestly wait. shyt looks a little floaty though.
It's less floaty than skate and THPS for sure. I've only played a little bit of session (wasn't a fun but I could be biased cuz I played XL first) so I can't properly compare but it's still about as real as it gets for a console skateboarding game:yeshrug:. There are PC mods that allow you to adjust physics and all that stuff too

game looks trash. i think tony hawk games (they are coming out soon) are better.

The Tony Hawk and .skate announcements killed this game

Different audiences. THPS is like NBA Jam and SkaterXL is more of a sim. If you're not into skateboarding like that this game probably isn't gonna be all that great to you:hubie:. But if you love the process of learning and trying new tricks and exploring spots then the gameplay is A1. Both franchises are near and dear to my heart but they haven't been able to scratch that itch of playing a next-gen skateboarding game. This is done by a much smaller developer with less resources but they hit the nail right on the head in terms of gameplay:ehh:

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Few clips from my launch day sessions. You can fukk around and kill time like nothing just trying to film the perfect clips and getting them to look right in the replay editor:wow:. I feel like my filming is trash compared to my actual skill but Ima get there:mjgrin:

looks good.

you feel like its too floaty?

you feel like it has the same kind of weight to the character as Skate?

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
looks good.

you feel like its too floaty?

you feel like it has the same kind of weight to the character as Skate?

Skate is definitely floatier for general street skating, although the Mega Ramp on here is kinda ridiculous in it's own right. You can do 1260 dectuple heelflips n shyt:dead:. Grinding feels the most similar between the two.

The biggest difference is that the fliptricks are done with 2 sticks instead of 1 and that there are no canned animations (ie the low kickflip, medium, and high pop kickflips in skate), the physics system is reading your inputs and flipping the board accordingly so you can do a kickflip in 10 different ways depending on your actual technique. When you're first starting off a lot of your tricks will look gross af until you unlearn the muscle memory for skate and learn the nuances of the various tricks you want to do. I used to have really quick flipping rocket kickflips and now I can flip them slow and leveled out, or lower but still leveled out and with a faster flick for lines and stuff

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Figuring out these camera angles. Still a lil sketchy but I’m starting to get the hang of it :ehh:

I’ve noticed that these replays must’ve glitched and not put in the wheels rolling sound? It’s definitely not that quiet when you’re actually playing:picard:

good looking out on these vids breh.

this have a campaign type setup?

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
good looking out on these vids breh.

this have a campaign type setup?
Nah it’s pretty much Free Skate: The Game :lolbron:. There’s some challenges for each map but there’s not incentive to complete them outside of your own personal motivation

it’s so easy to blow 45 minutes just playing some music on Spotify while cruising around and trying new tricks tho:wow:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
you've been killing it :salute:

so is it worth the cop? or worth waiting for a discount?

Depends on your expectations for the game really. I’m an actual skateboarder who’s been thirsty for a skateboarding sim since skate 3 so I’m totally fine just free skating for hours on end, but if you’re more motivated by a career mode, challenges, unlocks, etc. this game doesn’t really have that. As a gamer I can understand that if you don’t skate or have that passion for it, then SkaterXL will seem very basic because it’s pretty much just pure gameplay. If you can entertain yourself learning new stuff and getting creative with filming/tricks then it’s a must cop but if you’re looking for a more feature-rich experience, you might wanna wait til it goes on sale (or play with mods on PC)