Skater XL | XB1/PS4/PC

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
What's your opinion on .session

First things first, I’m probably bias because I played skater XL for about 10+ hours on PC before ever trying session so:hubie:

I tried playing session’s Xbox demo and I quit after the tutorial tho:mjlol: The overall control scheme is similar, but different enough to feel weird to me. I’ve heard the opposite from people who’ve played session first so it could very much be a preference thing :yeshrug:. I do think XL has better animations

Both games are made by small studios that were able to crowdfund early access versions of the game for years up until now where XL has a formal release and session has the Xbox demo. Both have super extensive modding communities on PC (XL discord has 60k members) where people can add maps, new gear, gameplay tweaks, etc.

One of the biggest differences I’ve heard with session is that you can do some of the more weirder tricks like impossibles, no complies, etc and that they have an alternate control scheme to make it play more like skate.

Both games are tiny compared to any THPS or EA skate games but that’s why I wanna support the little guys because they went out and tried to fill that 10 year void of true skateboarding game while EA sat on its ass while “Make EA skate again” literally became a meme and their most frequent comment on all their social media posts:dead:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
What’s the most realistic skateboarding simulation game?

I enjoy mastering sims that are very close to the real life hobby

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
What’s the most realistic skateboarding simulation game?

I enjoy mastering sims that are very close to the real life hobby

This is it breh. As someone who's skated for 15 years, this game does a pretty good job of replicating the personal progression and creativity that makes skateboarding so fun. It's definitely not gonna be easy at first but that's what gives you that reward/satisfaction of pushing yourself to get better, landing stuff cleanly, and taking your go-to tricks to more difficult spots/obstacles. The game has no real progression system, career mode, unlocks, etcs its pure gameplay and creativity.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I can’t wrap my head around using the triggers to turn. I keep trying to use the stick:dame:

That was the trickiest thing to get used to when I first started playing. Over time you unlearn the muscle memory and being able to steer well really opens up your possibilities when it comes to lines and stuff. You kind of end up doing a bunch of little feather taps on the triggers to make those small adjustments and tiny turns

Daps
Not in the vanilla game but there’s a plethora of Nike/Jordan options if you have mods on PC. They’re bringing mods to console as well so they might be available there as well

Yeah I was just searching up some stuff about the game and only saw mods for pc. I’m console player. shyt I’m hoping they will...

Daps
They recently dropped a trailer saying they’ll bring mods to console holiday 2020 so hopefully it shouldn’t be too long of a wait :manny:
I haven’t played a skating game since thug 2 or 3. But I loved that shyt to death, Will this game give me the same feeling?

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I haven’t played a skating game since thug 2 or 3. But I loved that shyt to death, Will this game give me the same feeling?

I love this game but Ehh not exactly :patrice:

There’s no story or progression it’s pretty much all Free Skate. There’s some optional challenges but I haven’t even messed with them to be honest. And it’s defintely more realistic than THPS or even the skate series as there’s a lot more nuance to the ways you do tricks. You can do a kickflip in a lot of different ways depending on your technique. When you first play you’ll probably think the animations are whack but no, that’s just you flicking the stick too fast and making it rocket flip:skip:

The joy of this game is you learning the nuances of the controls and actually getting better at your technique, similar to real skateboarding. Then if you wanna get creative you can mess around with the replay editor and make some dope clips. I can easily kill 30-45 minutes just trying to learn a trick at a spot and then getting the filming down just how I like it. If you can just mindlessly try tricks and find spots around the maps to skate, it’s super fun and rewarding to get better, but as a pure gamer if you need more motivation to play outside of “I like skateboarding” then this would be a pretty bare bones experience for you, not gonna lie.

I haven’t played it yet but THPS1+2 might be better to scratch that itch for you if you want a more “video-gamey” experience vs an in-depth skate simulator

Daps
I love this game but Ehh not exactly :patrice:

There’s no story or progression it’s pretty much all Free Skate. There’s some optional challenges but I haven’t even messed with them to be honest. And it’s defintely more realistic than THPS or even the skate series as there’s a lot more nuance to the ways you do tricks. You can do a kickflip in a lot of different ways depending on your technique. When you first play you’ll probably think the animations are whack but no, that’s just you flicking the stick too fast and making it rocket flip:skip:

The joy of this game is you learning the nuances of the controls and actually getting better at your technique, similar to real skateboarding. Then if you wanna get creative you can mess around with the replay editor and make some dope clips. I can easily kill 30-45 minutes just trying to learn a trick at a spot and then getting the filming down just how I like it. If you can just mindlessly try tricks and find spots around the maps to skate, it’s super fun and rewarding to get better, but as a pure gamer if you need more motivation to play outside of “I like skateboarding” then this would be a pretty bare bones experience for you, not gonna lie.

I haven’t played it yet but THPS1+2 might be better to scratch that itch for you if you want a more “video-gamey” experience vs an in-depth skate simulator
Dap + rep.

I’m ok with free skating anyways broski, I just wanted something more realistic and newer. I fell into the FPS genre and never looked back but now as I got older, I’m getting extremely bored with it. Fighters, rpg, and action doesn’t do it for me neither.

I saw the og thps 1 + 2 reviews but really doesn’t do it for me. It’s crazy short lol I’ll play for nostalgia reasons but meh it’s not worth it imo. I’m going to cop skate xl today. Thanks for the breakdown breh :salute: