Skin color is not a character trait

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
I see this topic has attracted a few presumptuous clowns with jokes.

If you can't grasp the scope of what I'm speaking on then you shouldn't even be here.

:camby:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
There’s a right way and a wrong way to do this.
I’ve seen plenty of eclectic black people who were still in love with being unapologetically black.

Then I’ve seen some who latch onto anything non-blk to claim special snowflake status for their much coveted role as “not like those other blacks” token, to gain access to non-blk partners in a pathetic attempt to jukemove around what they see when they look in the mirror everyday.

As always...choose your own adventure.:yeshrug:

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
There’s a right way and a wrong way to do this.
I’ve seen plenty of eclectic black people who were still in love with being unapologetically black.

Then I’ve seen some who latch onto anything non-blk to claim special snowflake status for their much coveted role as “not like those other blacks” token, to gain access to non-blk partners in a pathetic attempt to jukemove around what they see when they look in the mirror everyday.

As always...choose your own adventure.:yeshrug:

Right, but what is "unapologetically black" exactly? What is "non-black" in the context that you're speaking about?

It's just the color of our skin (it's melanin). Why does it need to be accentuated and correlated with certain behaviors and boundaries that are set by outside forces?

All you have to do is think about what society at large (in general) deems as being authentically black? You'll find that a lot of what you come up with are things that really aren't conducive with being mentally free and empowered. It's a bunch of frivolous and vain things that are counterproductive.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Right, but what is "unapologetically black" exactly? What is "non-black" in the context that you're speaking about?

It's just the color of our skin (it's melanin). Why does it need to be accentuated and correlated with certain behaviors and boundaries that are set by outside forces?

All you have to do is think about what society at large (in general) deems as being authentically black? You'll find that a lot of what you come up with are things that really aren't conducive with being mentally free and empowered. It's a bunch of frivolous and vain things that are counterproductive.
Philosophically, divorced from historical precedent, you are absolutely right.
Our skin tone is a phenotypic marker of environmental differences of our ancestors across the world. That’s what skin tone is. That’s what whiteness is and so on.

It’s completely absurd to assign so much importance to these minute differences aside from physiological and biological differences that may inform health specific concerns.
But the reason we do so is because our very humanity has been devalued. We don’t do so frivolously or arbitrarily. So before we can get to a place where we can trivialize our differences, there are other forces at work that need to stop demonizing them because unless that ends, our attempts to do so will only be escapism. Because there is no divorcing ourselves from the historical context of our current existence. And leaping headfirst into the “race doesn’t matter” waters is dangerously disingenuous...and unnecessary to boot.

As for non-black I was referring generally to anyone outside of the African American culture. There’s a lot more that can be said here but I don’t have time today. Will return to the thread. But I do get what you are trying to do. This is something I’ve discussed with a number of people in my circle. Just know as I alluded to in my previous post, it can go either way...

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I see this topic has attracted a few presumptuous clowns with jokes.

If you can't grasp the scope of what I'm speaking on then you shouldn't even be here.

:camby:
I'm surprised you haven't doled out "race is a social construct" yet

Stay playful breh :pachaha:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Regardless of personal differences there are some obvious common sense characteristics that come with being black and the major one is understanding the racial plights we face internationally and the need for self preservation because of it.

Not really true because we all don't have the same experiences.
Just being black don't mean you look at racial issue the same.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
black is a specific heritage in america
black is a specific racial class in the world...

problem is the word is the same so everyone gets confused
:yeshrug:

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
OP what made you say this? There must’ve been something that happened in your life that made you say this. What happened?

• Dap
Reactions: 315

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
black is a specific heritage in america
black is a specific racial class in the world...

problem is the word is the same so everyone gets confused
:yeshrug:

My view is that race is a corporate designation used to deculturalize and categorize groups (that whites started btw).

Yellow, asian.
Red, indian.
Black, "African"
Etc

Color is not an appropriate identifier for race. Race is based off of culture and what part of the world you're from.

But this is a whole different conversation

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
But skin colour is just a label right? When I call myself brown I really mean that I'm south Asian, so what's characteristic about my background is an attachment for certain cultural things: language, values, community ties, food, music, etc. When you say you are black, what you really mean is that you are of African background and that in turn means that you also have certain cultural attachments relating to those same areas. Using skin colour is like a short way to describe it, at least as far as I see it with regard to myself

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
. Race is based off of culture and what part of the world you're from.
"race" itself isnt made with some deep meaning behind it.
it had no scientific or social basis for its creation
its just a classification system made without much thought into anything at all other than being able to quickly categorize people
culture has nothing to do with race

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
"race" itself isnt made with some deep meaning behind it.
it had no scientific or social basis for its creation
its just a classification system made without much thought into anything at all other than being able to quickly categorize people
culture has nothing to do with race

If you take a Korean man and a Japanese man tell and them they're the same, they're going to disagree with you.

They have different language, different belief systems, different customs, different history. All those things comprises a culture. They're different.