Skin color is not a character trait

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
OP what made you say this? There must’ve been something that happened in your life that made you say this. What happened?

Nothing in particular has happened to me. I'm just speaking on notions that I'm aware of, societally. We've been led to believe that our skin color is our number one defining characteristic and that we should always strive to accentuate it.

And not only have we been programmed into proving to the world just how black we are, but also that Caucasians are the engineers who determine and set the boundaries and meaning behind what it means. You see examples of it all the time.

This thread was actually inspired by a previous thread I saw of a poster implying that it's not black to watch Japanese animation.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
If you take a Korean man and a Japanese man tell and them they're the same, they're going to disagree with you.

They have different language, different belief systems, different customs, different history. All those things comprises a culture. They're different.
which is why I said race has nothing to do with culture....
are you posting this just to reinforce my point?

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nothing in particular has happened to me. I'm just speaking on notions that I'm aware of, societally. We've been led to believe that our skin color is our number one defining characteristic and that we should always strive to accentuate it.

And not only have we been programmed into proving to the world just how black we are, but also that Caucasians are the engineers who determine and set the boundaries and meaning behind what it means. You see examples of it all the time.

This thread was actually inspired by a previous thread I saw of a poster implying that it's not black to watch Japanese animation.

Why did the white man keep us from learning how to read and write? Stole our aboriginal sir names and gave us theirs. Stripped is of our original culture..

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Right, but what is "unapologetically black" exactly? What is "non-black" in the context that you're speaking about?

It's just the color of our skin (it's melanin). Why does it need to be accentuated and correlated with certain behaviors and boundaries that are set by outside forces?

All you have to do is think about what society at large (in general) deems as being authentically black? You'll find that a lot of what you come up with are things that really aren't conducive with being mentally free and empowered. It's a bunch of frivolous and vain things that are counterproductive.
:mjpls:

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
which is why I said race has nothing to do with culture....
are you posting this just to reinforce my point?

No, my point was contrary to yours. Was that not clear? I have a deeper understanding of what race is and it's relation to culture. You have a simplified one. But I don't want to get off topic too much on this. That wasn't the point of this thread.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
I have a deeper understanding of what race is and it's relation to culture. .

the example of Japanese and korean men not being the same only supports my point...
I said race has nothing to do with culture...
Both korean and Japanese are considered the asian race...
but the designation of "asian" has nothing to do with the different cultures that comprise it

What's your understanding of the relation between race and culture?
What sources do you have to corroborate it?

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
the example of Japanese and korean men not being the same only supports my point...
I said race has nothing to do with culture...
Both korean and Japanese are considered the asian race...
but the designation of "asian" has nothing to do with the different cultures that comprise it

What's your understanding of the relation between race and culture?
What sources do you have to corroborate it?

Race largely does have to do with culture. Asians aren't a monolith. No race is.

I'd rather not get into the semantics of the various subcategories of humans (negroid, caucasoid, Mongoloid etc).

You welcome to your own perspective. That wasn't what this thread was about.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
Race largely does have to do with culture. Asians aren't a monolith. No race is.

I'd rather not get into the semantics of the various subcategories of humans (negroid, caucasoid, Mongoloid etc).

You welcome to your own perspective. That wasn't what this thread was about.
explain how race corresponds to culture...
I want to understand your viewpoint...

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Yeah but that one poster is just a dumbass. Everybody knows black people ain’t a monolith, we’ve said it a million times. Don’t let a loud minority deter you from what a majority of us think. Most of us know black people don’t act a certain way