gospel.....props to spike.
wat6rr.jpg

RebelX

HEir
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
~~~
I would actually have to with disagree with @Malta. The movie covers a lot of systemic issues within a country. The movie was filled with double meanings and points that actually go deeper than surface level so I would say that this movie was a great movie from a substance standpoint.

The acting was not great but the main character, Wesley and Angela did a fantastic job.

The most meaningful movie I seen in the last two years. It probably went over to many movie goers heads. It's not straightforward like Creed. It was laced with double meanings.

I don't expect lower minded negros to understand from the first viewing. @Napoleon, you should check it out.

Most of the people who have a problem with it haven't seen it or if they did, just didn't get it. Spike has to understand most of this generation aren't educated so they don't understand satire, metaphors or irony. We live in the twitter generation everything is dumbed down, that's why reality shows are so popular

This is the top comment on youtube which is similar to what you're saying. After the trailer I wasn't sure if I would even bother watching but I'll give the movie a chance.

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
They didnt like it because:
*It satirized the violence
*It wasnt authentic enough
*It didnt offer any credible solutions (the plot of the movie is women abstaining from sex with men to force peace) to the violence and was oversexualized
*Didnt tell the "true history" of why the violence occurs and how they got there
*Shouldn't have set it in Chicago
*Hell one dude called Spike a "white supremacist" because the movie was that much a betrayal to him.

Most of their arguments miss the point completely and foist an unrealistic social responsibility on the movie to find a "fix" and tell "the whole story" (whatever the fukk that means).
Basically they are making up bs reasons not to like it.

They dont like spike because white people told them not to.

AnotherRoute

Just another post by
Daps
Reppin
BR..O..OK...LYN
Honestly I think most people were expecting a Boys In The Hood / Menance II Society type movie when they heard Spike Lee was making a movie named Chiraq. I know I was.
Really? I haven't seen this movie but spike lee has never made a film like that why did you expect this to be different ?

King Poetic

Most Hated
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Near The Lakes
Could have had my boy john singleton do Chicago justice......

John actually goes deep into people and kids who live in the area and get more detail about each individual and roll into one...

Like he did Rosewood where he talk with relatives of the people who live around the area around that time

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Really? I haven't seen this movie but spike lee has never made a film like that why did you expect this to be different ?

Because people automatically assumed that a vaunted black director making a movie about the Black Violence capital of the US would be in the same vein as those other movies, despite his track record saying different. Because nikkas assume Black Artists should be monolithic in their expressions and products and should make art thats socially progressive toward socioeconomic solutions.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Honestly I think most people were expecting a Boys In The Hood / Menance II Society type movie when they heard Spike Lee was making a movie named Chiraq. I know I was.
Nah, we were promised a movie that would put to light our troubles in an effort to shine a much needed light on the problem. Everything was cool until we start getting word of him using the greek play as source material, everybody thought we were originally getting a documentary. It wasn't really that hard, someone on the Coli just posted a documentary a few weeks ago that was low budget but completely got the point across.

It did the perfect job of showing the issues, and also showing real faces of people who live in the streets but aren't the demons the media portray us as. With Spike just lending a voice, that's all that would be needed.

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Not even gonna lie, I'm willing to go see it just for fukkery purposes at this point :lupe: