Stanford Professor: The Workplace is killing us and nobody cares

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
From the disappearance of good health insurance to the psychological effects of long hours, the modern workplace is taking its toll on all of us.

Jeffrey Pfeffer has an ambitious aspiration for the book he released earlier this year. “I want this to be the Silent Spring of workplace health,” says Pfeffer, a professor of organizational behavior at Stanford Graduate School of Business. “We are harming both company performance and individual well-being, and this needs to be the clarion call for us to stop. There is too much damage being done.”

Dying for a Paycheck, published by HarperBusiness, maps a range of ills in the modern workplace–from the disappearance of good health insurance to the psychological effects of long hours and work-family conflict–and how these are killing people.

Here’s a fascinating Q&A with the author:

I was struck by the story of Robert Chapman, CEO of Barry-Wehmiller, standing in front of 1,000 other CEOs and saying, “You are the cause of the healthcare crisis.”

Jeffrey Pfeffer: It’s true. He takes three points and puts them together. The first point, which is consistent with data reported by the World Economic Forum and other sources, is that an enormous percentage of the health care cost burden in the developed world, and in particular in the U.S., comes from chronic disease–things like diabetes and cardiovascular and circulatory disease. You begin with that premise: A large fraction–some estimates are 75 percent–of the disease burden in the U.S. is from chronic diseases.

Second, there is a tremendous amount of epidemiological literature that suggests that diabetes, cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome—and many health-relevant individual behaviors such as overeating and underexercising and drug and alcohol abuse–come from stress.

And third, there is a large amount of data that suggests the biggest source of stress is the workplace. So that’s how Chapman can stand up and make the statement that CEOs are the cause of the health care crisis: You are the source of stress, stress causes chronic disease, and chronic disease is the biggest component of our ongoing and enormous health care costs.

read the rest here

Stanford professor: “The workplace is killing people and nobody cares”

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
This is so true...

I just passed out the new insurance enrollment packs for the new year

And you should have seen the looks on the faces of these 12$ hour production workers when they found out they would have to now pay 415$ per pay period for insurance If they chose the family plan 3 or more family members (man.. Woman.. Child)

In a three week pay period month that equals roughly to 1,200$
:mjcry:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The pervasive way work takes over your/our self ID is where a lot of this stems from. You are what you do, therefore you have every incentive to please your job/employer, because you are establishing and confirming your own ID. Plus, things like humans are wired to take pleasure in meeting and setting small goals, which hits the pleasure sensors. A job usually sets a series of completable tasks to finish, you are rewarded for these, daily.

The thing is, there are few alternatives. And, little time to think of these things, if you are working a 60 hour work week, with emails and constant demands.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is so true...

And you should have seen the looks on the faces of these 12$ hour production workers when they found out they would have to now pay 415$ per pay period for insurance If they chose the family plan 3 or more family members (man.. Woman.. Child)

In a three week pay period month that equals roughly to 1,200$
:mjcry:
:picard: Why did it increase so much?

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is so true...

:what:

breh....12 dollars an hour is like 800 a pay period :dead: how the fukk are you supposed to afford that?

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
The pervasive way work takes over your/our self ID is where a lot of this stems from. You are what you do, therefore you have every incentive to please your job/employer, because you are establishing and confirming your own ID. Plus, things like humans are wired to take pleasure in meeting and setting small goals, which hits the pleasure sensors. A job usually sets a series of completable tasks to finish, you are rewarded for these, daily.

The thing is, there are few alternatives. And, little time to think of these things, if you are working a 60 hour work week, with emails and constant demands.
"Fire at Will" becomes your self ID. That's the stress that's taking Black people out.

Last edited:
Daps
I met people from overseas while I was out in Portland and Seattle last month... They told me that Americans are seen as workaholics. Told me that in England they get like a month of paid time off or something like that.:mjcry:

Fukk this country.:mjcry:
And women get a year off from work for maternity leave