Stanford Professor: The Workplace is killing us and nobody cares

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Call me lazy, but I been hating the 9-5, 5 days a week. I'm thinking about 'realistic' ways out now. People talk about starting your own business, but that sht ain't easy.

-Live frugal enough to live off part time work. 32 hours a week, 4 days a week. And I can take that extra time to get into real estate or start a bust

-Find a job working 4 10s. Still 40 hours, but having 3 days off every weekend is godly

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Call me lazy, but I been hating the 9-5, 5 days a week. I'm thinking about 'realistic' ways out now. People talk about starting your own business, but that sht ain't easy.

-Live frugal enough to live off part time work. 32 hours a week, 4 days a week. And I can take that extra time to get into real estate or start a bust

-Find a job working 4 10s. Still 40 hours, but having 3 days off every weekend is godly
I started working 4 10s this year but i dont get the weekend off. I get wed thurs and friday off it helps alot but ofcourse longer work days when i work and more pto used when i take a day off.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Work smarter, not harder"

You HAVE to adopt this mindset in the workplace. There is very little reward for going beyond what is expected of you.

That SuperNegro shyt gets you nowhere.
Ignore this advice. Hard work is essential in any aspect of life if you want to be successful.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s a cop out Breh. People don’t want to do what’s necessary for their own health.

Too much consumption is the big issue here. Everybody wants to buy shyt they don’t need. That’s the real problem.

Too much consumption is by design.. that’s how capitalism is wildly successful

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is the nonsense that corporate executives sell to you to keep you around.

Work hard by creating your own path

A man can never drink his fill by waiting in line for the tap, bruh.
I’m speaking for myself as a young black person but my success in corporate life has been down to my hard work. I don’t do it because some ceo forced me to but I strongly believe there’s no substitute to hard work if you want to be successful in life. :yeshrug:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
That’s a cop out Breh. People don’t want to do what’s necessary for their own health.

Too much consumption is the big issue here. Everybody wants to buy shyt they don’t need. That’s the real problem.

Yup. Big ass house. New car. New phones. New TVs. I'm not saying you can't have those things, but it all needs to be in moderation. And people think you need to spend money for nice things when that isn't the case.

If you bought a cheap house and paid it off early, guess what? All you gotta do is pay the property tax which can be cheap as fuk in most areas.

Keep all your spending low and you don't have to work full-time. If you wanna get married find a woman with the same goals in the mind. Both yally work together to budget for an easy life.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Your second paragraph sounds like the life of a CEO.
This is the life many people aspire to or some version of that. The so called American dream.

Did the article make the accusation that CEOs were responsible?
Not that point but Breh in here saying ceos create the conditions for people to make poor health choices.

Too much consumption is by design.. that’s how capitalism is wildly successful
Capitalism needs a modification then. You can’t have it all without losing in the process.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Devils advocate though, a large portion of the population is raised like that from childhood and by the time they even realize it’s an issue it’s often too late.

Exactly, it's social conditioning that plays a major role. Explaining it as bad individual choices over-simplifies the issue. Some people definitely lack self-control, but there can't be 200 million bad individuals in the US