Survey: 80,000 more single women than men in Atlanta

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I haven't been to Atlanta in awhile, I do remember my head being on a swivel for the majority of the time I was visiting. Friend lives down there and we were talking about the dating scene, the number of single women are insane...

Map: 80,000 more single women than men in Atlanta

Numbers can tell all kinds of stories. CityLab has one: Atlanta has about 80,000 more single women (ages 18-64) than single men — one of the largest such gaps in the country, according to an analysis of U.S. Census data.

"Back in February 2007, National Geographic published its infamous 'Singles Map.' ... (A)n update seems in order," Richard Florida wrote, introing maps of the "surplus" of men or women ages 18-64, as well as in smaller age cohorts (18-24, 25-34, 35-44 and 45-64).

"As in 2007, the odds still favor single men on the East Coast, single women on the West," Florida wrote.

More discoveries:

• "The metros with the largest ratios of single women to men are all on the smaller side," including Greenville, N.C., and Florence, S.C.

• Atlanta has 1,100 single women for every 1,000 single men. Or: 1.1 single women per single men. (Or: An additional one-tenth of a single woman, if you measured people like fractions.)

• But: "younger single men outnumber single women across the board," Florida wrote. Although he said that Athens was one of the "few metros where odds favor single men."

• At the same time, Hinesville, southeast of Savannah, has one of the largest ratios of younger single men to younger single women: 1,747 single men/1,000 women, ages 18-24.

• These numbers begin to flip as everyone gets older: Single women outnumber single men after the age of 34. "And there are at least 50,000 more single women aged 45 to 64 than men in Atlanta," Florida wrote.

This is pure demography; and as Florida notes, it doesn't control for LGBT relationships or even break down this data even further by education or ethnicity.

But if you're single and a woman in Atlanta, you aren't alone. Alternately, here's why you should focus on friendship on Valentine's Day

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
giphy.gif

King of Creampies

Hop in. You coming too!
Daps
Reppin
Wild Hunt
Someone needs to speak on this....anyone in ATL living there can tell us how they are eating?

Love to know how things go down there.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't believe that. Honestly I think the where more women than man thing is a lie

If this true, I assume because alotta chicks think they'll become models or reality TV stars in that particular area.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
• Atlanta has 1,100 single women for every 1,000 single men. Or: 1.1 single women per single men. (Or: An additional one-tenth of a single woman, if you measured people like fractions.)

• But: "younger single men outnumber single women across the board," Florida wrote. Although he said that Athens was one of the "few metros where odds favor single men."

Sidepiece harem culture :wow:

• These numbers begin to flip as everyone gets older: Single women outnumber single men after the age of 34. "And there are at least 50,000 more single women aged 45 to 64 than men in Atlanta," Florida wrote.

Cat ladies who picked wrong :wow: