The basketball shoe industry is being crushed by the athleisure wave

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Makes sense. Basketball shoes are priced and designed like performance items.

Brehs aren't rushing out to pay 200+ for shoes that aren't all that good looking because they were designed to fit the performance geared elements.

Also doesn't help that a lot of these colorways are trash these days.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
i pretty wear casual sneakers exclusively. I have one pair of basketball shoes that are only used for hooping, used to wear them for other fitness activities but i prefer those running shoes now for that.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I read a very similar article a few years back. It was basically about how Nike/Air Jordans market share was in decline and how Under Armour was screwed with their latest Curry basketball shoes drop.

Basically pointed out how Kanye flipped things up with Yeezys, fashion became heavy into athleisure and Adidas rode the wave it continues to ride today.

yeah kanye doesn’t get credit for this.

in 2012 the sneaker community hit peak popularity for non Jordan basketball shoes.
Lebrons and KD were more coveted and being rocked casually just like any other shoe. Also Foams had made a huge resurgence

Due to Nike insistence on raising the prices on basketball sneakers and making colors ways for shoes exclusive for no valid reason. Resellers started seeing less profit( this drives all the hype in sneaker culture) and consumers soured cause Nike couldn’t keep making appealing styles(imo)

that same year Nike introduced the shoe that would totally shift the market. “The Roshe” this shoe was a running style shoe that was only $70. Everyone gravitied toward this shoe which led to AirMax resurgence and it helped Addidas rebound their brand with the ultra boost and NMDs

Offthegrid

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:.....what?!?....
nikka u ain't getting inside no club with sum damn kds Kyrie's Wade's Steph Curry's on u bummy dingy ass nikka y'all stay exposing yall selves. Nikka if it wasn't for retros and airmaxes nike would go bankrupt why you think they're doin all these collaborations with other designer brands now ?Every shoe made after the foampsites & flight posites haven't been stylish off the court why you think flightposites been floppin lately hitting the outlets??? Because mfs don't Kno how to rock them off the court right where u can have them on n still want get turned around because of dress code. I've never been told not to come in because off the shoes I wear but I see it all the time when bums that have on basketball shoes trying to get into clubs bars & 5 star restaurants. And aint no women bout to be choosing up on u because you had sum Paul George's on let's be reality here:stopitslime::troll::usure::gucci::scust::comeon::mjtf::unimpressed::what::martin::pachaha:

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
nikka u ain't getting inside no club with sum damn kds Kyrie's Wade's Steph Curry's on u bummy dingy ass nikka y'all stay exposing yall selves. Nikka if it wasn't for retros and airmaxes nike would go bankrupt why you think they're doin all these collaborations with other designer brands now ?Every shoe made after the foampsites & flight posites haven't been stylish off the court why you think flightposites been floppin lately hitting the outlets??? Because mfs don't Kno how to rock them off the court right where u can have them on n still want get turned around because of dress code. I've never been told not to come in because off the shoes I wear but I see it all the time when bums that have on basketball shoes trying to get into clubs bars & 5 star restaurants. And aint no women bout to be choosing up on u because you had sum Paul George's on let's be reality here:stopitslime::troll::usure::gucci::scust::comeon::mjtf::unimpressed::what::martin::pachaha:
Listen to this dumb motherfukker....please tell me where I ever said anything about rocking sneakers to the club???....this lame just pulled this out his ass and decided to run with it....:russ:....Jordan brand hit 1 billion last qtr dumb ass and they just sold out on some women's Jordan 1's about 35 min ago....please keep talking out your ass....talking bout flightposites like it's fukking '96....:mjlol:....

Bart simpson

Served w/ no chill
Daps
Reppin
Springfield
I dont hoop, what I look like lacing up some Hyperdunks to go pickup some peanut butter.
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F06%2Fnike-react-hyperdunk-2017-3.jpg
Man this post had me rolling
Dap X Rep

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
I don't really rock Jordan's like that but them bytches are still selling like hot cakes and are the only hooping shoes I see ppl rock casually.

shyt I seen more females rocking J's then dudes lately.... especially Black/Hispanic broads. You either see Mexicans rocking J's or Vans :russ:

Retro J's are just way too expensive for me. If I'm going casual, then I'll put on some air forces, Reebok classics, suede pumas or some Adidas superstars.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I get a couple shoes a yr for actual hooping, and retros/leisure for everyday. If you don’t hoop, there’s not a lot of reason to cop most hoop shoes. Runners and cross trainers get you through regular workouts.

The collab game gave Nike/JB a major adrenaline shot :wow: