The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Well, you'll have to hope someone out there pulls a Nate Parker to make such a movie happen, because I doubt hollywood will do such a movie anytime soon, if at all.

As for Birth of a Nation, it's not often that you have a slave movie in with the slaves stand up for themselves and turn the tables around for a change. Add that and the amount of effort Nate Parker had to make in order for this movie to even exist, and I felt compelled to go watch it in theaters, even though I was already well-versed on Nat Turner's story.
Yeah that's the problem. We can't go those films made. Only stories about black people that are told deal with our struggle for basic rights and slavery nothing else. Nate Parker basically had to sell his kidney to get this one made which shows us not laying down.

But I'm good though.. Not gonna watch

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Boo! A Madea Halloween did what Tyler Perry’s Madea movies tend to do and have done with relative regularity for the last 11 years. It topped the weekend box office with a debut of over $25 million. I will admit to a certain amusement over the years as it took many years for box office pundits to stop being “shocked” when the latest Perry film snagged an over/under $25m opening weekend and/or topped the box office. To wit, the holiday-themed comedy earned a strong $27.6 million, which gives the Lionsgate release a substantial 2.936x weekend multiplier.

Box Office: Tyler Perry's 'Boo! A Madea Halloween' Scares Up Terrific $27.6M Weekend

:scust::beli::snoop:

Eh, I don't think black folks have to only like one thing. We're complex multi-taskers. Birth of a Nation came out almost a month before Madea. So now we can't see go see a stupid movie for a few laughs even though it's not even competing with Birth for opening sales? I don't get it. I saw Birth opening night, and I've been encouraging people to go, but me and my friends will be seeing Madea on Halloween for shyts 'n giggles and fukk anyone who thinks black people can only watch "dignified" movies 'cause that's some bullshyt.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Besides all this Madea bullshyt, I just have to say I'll be dammed if I can watch a Roman Polanski film or a Woody Allen film and not bat an eyelash and then not go see a Nate Parker film

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Eh, I don't think black folks have to only like one thing. We're complex multi-taskers. Birth of a Nation came out almost a month before Madea. So now we can't see go see a stupid movie for a few laughs even though it's not even competing with Birth for opening sales? I don't get it. I saw Birth opening night, and I've been encouraging people to go, but me and my friends will be seeing Madea on Halloween for shyts 'n giggles and fukk anyone who thinks black people can only watch "dignified" movies 'cause that's some bullshyt.
And fukk anyone that supports buffoonery financially yet don't support illuminating cinema financially.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
CvqNPbPXgAAN5yd.jpg

Nat's Bible was turned over to the African American History Meseam in DC.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Tariq mentioned this early on about people need to look at their tickets. Theaters are joining in on Sabatoging the film. Lying to people that it's "Sold Out" to boost up "Accountant" and other films. Wow. This type sh!t proves everything we've been saying in this thread. They do not want empowerment so we have to make the films ourselves. The fact they are going through this much trouble to destory this film says everything we need to know.

Last edited:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thoughts?:lupe:

I liked it overall. I've been through this thread so much that it kind of skewed the way I watched the film. I understand some of the complaints. The revolution felt short and the violence to the white people happened off camera but they showed black people getting hanged. Nate did a great job.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Everyone check out this short documentary by the Legend Melvin Van Peeples about how Blacks have been treated in Cinema and understand why more films like "Birth of a Nation" must happen to counter white supremacy narratives and stereotypes. Also I do not blame these black actors of the past because these roles were all they had. Iconically Melvin at the end talks about how they "Ticket-Swap" for Black Films to bring down their box office. Then they say, "Oh Black cast films flop, nobody wants to see them". It's one big game folks.

tt0141593.jpeg

(48:54 where Melvin talks about Theaters sabatoging Black Films)

Last edited: