The Republican Party Post-Trump - What Will It Look Like...?

JNew

Superstar
Daps
The problem with this election is no one cares what any ones stance on political views are its just a get trump out or keep trump in vote. The older generation really does not care about the younger people coming up. Especially Trump. Most young people are out of jobs and up to their ears in debt. The college system in this country is becoming marginalized and the school system is like a giant daycare.

I think politics will be toxic until we have more younger candidates. The older generation is really setting this country up for failure. Its up to the people who are in their 40s,& 30s. If trump wins a second term, I feel like we all will be fighting tooth and nail to save democracy because trump has no end game. If Biden wins and is in office in 2021 things will return to some normalcy by the end of the year. The republicans will stay quiet and return in 2024 and will probably win against Biden.

Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 and will lose it again in 2020. That's what most these republicans care about and will destroy this country before they hand it over(return) to the minorities. This is the game that will be played until they have all leave their positions and become the minorities.

The democrats & republicans are both outdated and i cant see them being around for the next 50 years. I think in our life time we will have a whole restructure of the political system in this country, for good or bad.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think the party has been completely bent to his will and everything in the short term will look like him. Overt racism and nationalism, hard anti-immigration, authoritarian, reveling in ignorance and "owning/trolling the libs." We're not going back to Romney/McCain/Dole/HW Bush/etc republicans who are refined and "serious conservatives" who try to appeal to the (white) mainstream on some level.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nah a lot of them gonna act like they never supported trump

I believed this back in 2017; figured they'd use Trump to advance their interests (judges, taxes, etc) and then dump him when it became politically advantageous. Instead they have doubled down, to the point they can't simply pretend this never happened. Hell, republicans to this day defend the Iraq war. If Trump loses in November I'm sure some will make some minor criticisms of his style, but overall they have not left themselves any ability to say "I never supported him." The videos exist, the supportive tweets exist, the votes exist, etc. And they will be used in campaign ads for YEARS.

If Trump loses, his fiercest supporters will double down and blame the loss on the establishment republicans who didn't support the president enough. People like Tom Cotton, Pompeo, Pence, etc will spend the next two years trying to claim the Trump mantle. Meanwhile people like Rubio and other "establishment" republicans will try to move the party back to Romney/McCain/HW Bush/etc style conservatism. It won't work. They're going to be ripped apart on both sides: the left will point out they supported Trump (thus killing their attempt to pretend to be reasonable moderates), and the far right will accuse them of betraying Trump. The end result will be that someone like Cotton or Cruz or Pompeo/Pence will get the nom, running to MAGA.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
I think the old guard will make a bit of a last stand and push the base into supporting someone more measured temperamentally. They like trump's policies for the most part but they are too old and have too much money invested to actively push for another rollercoaster ride

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
i said something about this in the biden/trump election thread but basically i think they're going to keep catering to the maga crowd, who'll get even more 'maga" if biden is elected. then in 2024, they'll run someone who is younger, more intelligent, more politically savvy (as far as washington goes), is more ideological and capable, way less blatantly corrupt, etc...but still someone who speaks to that white plight and culture war the right is feeling.

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
depends on this election.

if biden bodies trump senior figures and politicians will try to distance themselves from trump-like politics (i doubt the voters will though).

if the election is close and biden wins or trump wins then thats the new blueprint for the partys senior officials.

also i wouldnt be surprised to see other rich celebrities try to run in 2024

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
As long as there's Trump, the party will be hard to beat.

This. Trump wasn't supposed to win. I'd go as far as to say Trump is playing with house money. He can't destroy the Republican party when he saved it. Demographic shifts have made Republican presidential victories extremely tough. I don't think any of the the other Republicans who ran in 2016 could have done it. Like it or not, Trump appealed to the right amount of people in the right states, at the right time.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Either a massive reform or split. They can kick out the WWC, and have a nationalist party form. Or slience them like they did from 1994-2009. Don't see how the republicans can win without them until there are ~80 million or so hispanics in the country that can they split the vote 60/40 with. That's another decade away at least.