The Roots :"Kendrick may be the only rapper who can make meaningful music on a mainstream level"

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I can see Quests' point...but I think any mainstream artist can make "meaningful" music...if they want.

I mean...aight, Kendrick did his "theme" album. What if the next one is just spittin', or his "baller" album?
Is he automatically a different kind of rapper now, or what?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Pop music, like hip hop, is fast food. People digest it and move on, not thinking about it. I'll forever give Kendrick dap for somehow getting kids to turn a anti-alcoholism song into a hit on radio - and having people use it as a song to take shots to. What an insane example of sneaking medicine into candy.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
I can see Quests' point...but I think any mainstream artist can make "meaningful" music...if they want.

I mean...aight, Kendrick did his "theme" album. What if the next one is just spittin', or his "baller" album?
Is he automatically a different kind of rapper now, or what?
That's never been his Forte...

Juanito

Pro
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

Jk0YkHB.png

Is this what they call meaningful nowadays?

2Pac had songs like I get around but also shyt like Brenda's got a baby & Keep Ya Head Up :manny:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
2Pac had songs like I get around but also shyt like Brenda's got a baby & Keep Ya Head Up :manny:

This is in the realm of what I was talmbat earlier...if an artist is really an artist, there must be some balance to them...

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Music is subjective.

I'm sure even chief keep is meaningful to some people.

Cudi has saved lives and prevented suicide :wow:

Have the roots ever done that :usure:

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
He's a runner up. Good mc from a meaningful technical stand point. And far ahead of his mainstream peers. Just need a handful of quality albums from him. If he don't switch up for the worse he's good for now. Same with Ab-Soul which is my favorite out the group. The hype is real with kendrick I just don't wanna put him in no top lists yet. We'll see what happens.

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
About time that nikka is right for once. I also think that Wale and Big Krit also are the only other modern mainstream rap artists that have meaningful music.

Not all of rap is fast food.

There's more to rap music then spitting punch lines, coke dreams, smoking loud, turning up while riding around and getting it.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I would add a caveat to this statement. It not so much that Kendrick is the only person to make meaningful music at the mainstream level as much as it is, he may the most technically adept at it, with the exception of and I know it's cool to hate this guy on here but I'll say it regardless Aubrey Drake Graham.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
About time that nikka is right for once. I also think that Wale and Big Krit also are the only other modern mainstream rap artists that have meaningful music.

Not all of rap is fast food.

There's more to rap music then spitting punch lines, coke dreams, smoking loud, turning up while riding around and getting it.

Yes the names also come to mind as well. Particularly Wale who modeled his style after Black Thought but had youth on his side and was more accessible. And while I think KRIT is just a decent rapper, his production and musical direction are forward thinking definitely.

MINT

All Star
Daps
He's a runner up. Good mc from a meaningful technical stand point. And far ahead of his mainstream peers. Just need a handful of quality albums from him. If he don't switch up for the worse he's good for now. Same with Ab-Soul which is my favorite out the group. The hype is real with kendrick I just don't wanna put him in no top lists yet. We'll see what happens.