The Salary a single person needs to "live comfortably" in 25 US cities

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
It's literally in the OP
I think its definition of comfortable is too liberal and I know for a fact you live comfortably in Newark for less than that. Hell, you can live in NYC as a single comfortably for less than that. This feels a very white definition, Mimosa drinking, world traveling definition of the word comfortable.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw this too

I'm in San Diego. These kinds of things tend to be a little exaggerated, and like weighted down with weird statistics, or metrics, but there's no denying it's expensive.

I live in an expensive area, where I walk and get coffee and it's just affluence of a certain class style, Vuori sweats and $7 lattes, everyone on a computer.

but the people who work there, (the coffee shop) and the people who clean the streets, don't live like that. but I also know more and more people with college degrees and what used to be a good white collar job, and the lifestyle creep of the last 7 years plus inflation, wage stagnation, some of them have roommates. I can hear when they talk, it's not as easy as it was, in let's say 2016. Rent is REALLY high here.

Last edited:

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
I think its definition of comfortable is too liberal and I know for a fact you live comfortably in Newark for less than that. Hell, you can live in NYC as a single comfortably for less than that. This feels a very white definition, Mimosa drinking, world traveling definition of the word comfortable.
-Are you able to live comfortably by this 50/30/20 shyt or not?

BeeCityRoller

New Bee
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queen City
This a cac list. "Comfortable" in Newark and JC got an entirely different meaning than those other places. You can make 6 figures and still struggle. You can make 60k and be comfortable....if you know don't mind living in the more urban areas :mjpls:
Thats what kills me with white people talking about how they can't "find any homes under 400k" in their city. They can find these homes, they just don't want to live near any blacks or hispanics on their street or have their kids in public school with them.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
and partially that difference put me on, and enabled me to travel the world, Three Michelin out in NYC and $600 hotel rooms in Miami. But, now that same room is $1300. That dinner is $600 not $350. But, at the time, I lived in a studio apartment for $750.

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You wouldn’t need that much to live comfortably here. I don’t make that much and I’m fine. I didn’t read the full article or criteria though, so perhaps I’m just living a lower standard than they’re speaking on.

Its relative but for their definition this is the salary to afford the typical home without spending more than 33 percent of income, then bills, food, etc and saving WITHOUT living "check to check." That last part is the key. Most people can afford a decent place, pay all their bills, and maybe save a decent amount, but if they miss more than 1 or 2 paychecks they'll be down bad.