Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
can you link your ebay
no, i meant that a lot of mags that I have in my possession sell for that much by other sellers. I'm not selling anything!!!! All thru high school my mother would always ask me, "why do you keep these magazines"?. Still today when she talks to me, she doesn't understand. Females never get it. I can post pictures of some of them. I keep a bulk of them in storage and about 300 or so in the home. I keep all of my horror hound in the home. I have all of those except 2 issue. I even got #3 that has sold for over $130 on ebay. I knew in my teenage years, what I was living during the 80s and 90s was gonna be special one day when I would reach my 40s. Also, when I saw the movie Rhyme and Reason, Biz Markie had this scrap book with club fliers in them, so I started collecting club fliers back in the 90s and i got a scrap book of that. Some of them autographed by rappers

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Murder Dog was so ill to me because i would just see all these rappers i never heard of...i'm like 13 and on the radio you're just mainly hearing radio shyt and then see theres a trillion rappers from every region getting their hustle on. there was plenty of wack shyt but there was some gems.

when i see all the fukkery that went on at all them magazines it makes me regret buying a lot of them haha. surprised i didnt notice a lot of the bias. the em bias was obvious with xxl after awhile tho.
yep, Murder Dog was the truth. Long articles about artists you've never heard of. That's why I loved Rap Sheets. Rap sheets was like a hip hop newspaper out in the early 90s to late 90s. let me take some pics of a few things and post them. Yall got me hyped lol

Also, I never bought teh first Slam magazine with LJ on the cover. I'd go in the supermarket and see it for 2 months straight and by the time I got money to buy it, it was gone. I started with #2 that had Kemp on the coer. I've seen that LJ mag go for about $150 on ebay. I think a guy is selling it now for $55

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Murder Dog was so ill to me because i would just see all these rappers i never heard of...i'm like 13 and on the radio you're just mainly hearing radio shyt and then see theres a trillion rappers from every region getting their hustle on. there was plenty of wack shyt but there was some gems.

when i see all the fukkery that went on at all them magazines it makes me regret buying a lot of them haha. surprised i didnt notice a lot of the bias. the em bias was obvious with xxl after awhile tho.

I knew of a lot of the Houston rappers Murder Dog use to profile just cause I live here, but that mag put me on to so many Memphis and Cali rappers that I probably would’ve never heard of til years after the fact. I may only have 1 or 2 Murder Dog mags, but I have quite a few old Source and XXL. Never thought that industry would go the way it did either

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
n5IvYva.jpg
RHe4j8s.jpg

I got some good hard to find stuff. this is nothing. I have hundreds. Years and years of slam, ring, ko/ international boxing digest(these 2 are no longer in service), rapsheets, vibe. i had the first year of vibe free when it first started. I was just using some of the pages for posters. The first issue of vibe had Treach on the cover. That joint is expensive now. It came in the mail with a free cd of the latest acts. I still have that cd in the case. I got about 10 years worth of Rue Morge horror mag.sports illustrated, street and smitth college and pro dating back to when Jordan was in his prime and guys like Duncan/Pierce were in high school. Maxim, Stuff, FHM, Source, XXL, every issue of Blaze and Scratch. btw, that source mag with mase and the Lox was the one in which a white rapper by the name of Eminem was in the unsigned hype. I was reading his lyrics thinking,"that mf can spit" .. The main mags I regret not having any of today are Rap Maters and Yo

Last edited:
Daps
As someone who was born in 99 and has grown up in the digital age, I've always loved print magazines. There's something so classic about capturing moments in time/eras on print :blessed:

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
Used to have a subscription to The Source in the mid 90's, still have a couple of issues laying around, wish I kept more of them in tact

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
the reason the Source and XXL went under or are not hitting as they used to is because they started catering to kids that don't read. If you want to promote guys like 21 savage, migos,and these other trap rappers, you're promoting them to kids that don't read and don't pick up books. When we were teens we always read rap mags and the adults did too. This is a phone generation. If it aint on a kid's phone or tv, they aint interested. This is where XXL and Source messed up. Wax Poetics caters to the hip hop adult fan that like to read about nostalgia.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Man I'm still pissed that I gave away the first 100 or so issues of XXL and like three years worth of The Source. Had them shyts stored in my closet in milk crates before somebody asked if they could have em. I wasn't doing shyt with em and gave em away.

Blaze magazine was so slept on. I especially remember the Table of Elements shyt they did with the top 50 MCs.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
I miss it being a staple in the culture

I hated how, at the end, every album got 4 mics and a XL

That had 2 b industry fukkery working

I don't think Interscope let them rate Kenny's albums

I could never find it