The Vanishing Family (1986) has things gotten worse?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Interesting vid. But any vid on Black America by major White media sources won't tell the whole story. They'll just use different soundbites. But it is an interesting vid/special.

@3:26 of the vid, already, right off the bat, the woman says "It's not racism, we're destroying ourselves. Maybe we'll get back to dealing with the racism somewhere on down the line, but it isn't racism we need to deal with"

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Interesting vid. But any vid on Black America by major White media sources won't tell the whole story. They'll just use different soundbites. But it is an interesting vid/special.

@3:26 of the vid, already, right off the bat, the woman says "It's not racism, we're destroying ourselves. Maybe we'll get back to dealing with the racism somewhere on down the line, but it isn't racism we need to deal with"
what nationality and what ethnicity are you

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Black people need to accept that our definition of "family" is not going to be a married couple with children. While it's a great set-up, we don't really form the proper relationships/friendships with each other to pull it off properly, imo. We need to keep our children out of poverty and I believe we can achieve this through multi-generational living and just general common sense.

I am NOT pro single mothers. I am NOT anti-marriage either, but we need to be realistic.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Black people need to accept that our definition of "family" is not going to be a married couple with children. While it's a great set-up, we don't really form the proper relationships/friendships with each other to pull it off properly, imo. We need to keep our children out of poverty and I believe we can achieve this through multi-generational living and just general common sense.

I am NOT pro single mothers. I am NOT anti-marriage either, but we need to be realistic.
Do you feel that the damage is already done, basically? If so, I see your point.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Black Haitian, born and raised in America. So technically Black-American. Why do you ask?
you went straight to the "but what about black vs black" angle

not to say the problems aren't helping sustain themselves at this point, but to use that as a counterpoint to someone detailing what white social order is doing to black people...

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Do you feel that the damage is already done, basically? If so, I see your point.

Not necessarily, but maybe the "traditional" family isn't be the standard anymore. I think it's easier and better for us to focus on developing working relationships between black men and women so that we can effectively co-parent rather than say don't have children until you're married. I also think if we improve our relationships, we will see more married couples raising children.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

Do you believe this is across the board?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
you went straight to the "but what about black vs black" angle

not to say the problems aren't helping sustain themselves at this point, but to use that as a counterpoint to someone detailing what white social order is doing to black people...
I was saying that the docu immediately went to the "What about Black vs Black" angel, and that off the bat, at the very beginning of the docu, the Black woman was already trying to dismiss racism completely. As if to quell any sort of White Guilt any viewers were gonna have or something. I found that interesting.

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
it's pretty interesting to note that single parenthood has jumped across many different demos not just here in America, but across most of the developed and semi developed world, I think it has interesting overlays with the steady decline of solid blue collar work and a trend towards sluminzation as a result