The Vanishing Family (1986) has things gotten worse?

KamalaJones

Banned
Daps
I am a brother of Phi Beta Sigma so that is a very interesting perspective that I never heard or thought of before..My organization in particular has a credit union that is open to Sigmas and Zetas (Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union - Home) which I think is a more plausible strategy then outright buying property for rent..Most of these organizations are already endanger of getting sued out of existence so im not sure buying property around HBCUs, especially for the purpose of renting in which there would be an increase liability, is the answer. I do believe that our organizations could do a better job in promoting black business patronage though..But when you have other black groups like #BlackLivesMatter that advocate against buying black and even black nuclear family unit, it makes it more difficult..I like your analysis though, very interesting

I didn't know about the Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union. That's outstanding. I agree with you.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I agree BUT does that mean he needs to be married to the mother? NO!! It does mean that him and the mother will need to have a positive relationship. This baby mother baby father bullshyt has to stop.

People who engage in the baby mamma, baby father nonsense are not worthy to raise kids, period! We need more black kids who have a great relationship with their biological fathers.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People who engage in the baby mamma, baby father nonsense are not worthy to raise kids, period! We need more black kids who have a great relationship with their biological fathers.
But they are also the ones making the most children. It would be beneficial to us as a whole and the children to improve the relationship between the mother and father.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
So, what's stopping Black folks now? Maybe if more native born Black Americans valued education their kids could learn something because the schools they attend would have fewer behavioral problems. And, behavioral problems is what really sinks majority Black public schools. Experienced teachers won't put up with kids who misbehave, kids who misbehave won't learn, so naturally they do poorly on standardized tests.

I also see groups of people of other ethnic/racial groups coming together to create businesses. But, native born Black Americans act as if they can't do this.
What came 1st, the poverty or the behavior problems and other social effects of poverty, crime, urban decay, so on and so forth. Every problem you see with Black parenting, Black children, crime, promiscuity, etc, are all symptoms of Poverty within the Black community. Not the other way around. This all didn't just come out of a void. It's not like when Black folks were emancipated, they just decided to go buckwild. It was all gradual, and the spark that blew up the bomb of the social ills in the Black community started in the 50's and 60's when Black migration out of rural areas and into larger cities was at it's peak. Being relegated to the ghettos has the same effect on all. It had the same effect on White immigrants, and Latinos. The only difference is, those immigrants were still White at the end of the day. Their seamless transition into the greater "White" demographic is a 1-up that they had over Blacks in a similar situation. But areas like Harlem and other inner-city ghettos were also filled with crime, violence, and degeneracy when poor Whites roamed those streets. Those are just the symptoms of poverty and squalor within a small area. The GI Bill was a HUGE leg-up for poor Whites in this country. The GI Bill ushered in a new middle-class of Whites, who were once poor. So many factors go into where the Black community is today. Saying that some of it is racial, isn't a cop-out. It's being honest. Doesn't mean Blacks don't have a duty to be personally responsible for every action they choose in this life, but the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can look at the history of how Blacks were treated in this country and point to that, while also calling for Blacks to get-up, stand-up, and shape-up. Malcolm called on Blacks do shape-up, but he didn't give White Supremacy any slack either.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I agree BUT does that mean he needs to be married to the mother? NO!! It does mean that him and the mother will need to have a positive relationship. This baby mother baby father bullshyt has to stop.
I agree. It almost seems like people have sex with people they KNOW they won't get along with by next week, or even by that very morning. Why do people(not even just Black people) make it a point, or a badge of honor to show how much they hate their childs mother/father? That's such a weird cultural phenomenon. How can you have sex with someone you hate THAT much? As much as they hate each other, they still had sex.....

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I agree. It almost seems like people have sex with people they KNOW they won't get along with by next week, or even by that very morning. Why do people(not even just Black people) make it a point, or a badge of honor to show how much they hate their childs mother/father? That's such a weird cultural phenomenon. How can you have sex with someone you hate THAT much? As much as they hate each other, they still had sex.....
Preach!! I don't get it. I can understand not being ready for a long term relationships but damn y'all should at least be friends.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
The documentary tells the truth about where most Black Americans have went. Over 70% of Black kids are raised in single parent homes, Black marriage is now virtually made of Blacks with college educations, Black Americans are the poorest racial/ethnic group in the U.S., etc. All of these facts are interrelated and not White folks fault.
Blacks are the poorest ethnic and racial group? Receipts?

KamalaJones

Banned
Daps
Blacks are the poorest ethnic and racial group? Receipts?

You will learn I don't post bullshyt.

FT_14.12.11_wealthGapBars.png

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Black Americans have the lowest business creation rate and this is why we're poor not because of White folks. Black folks will spend money and support Black churches and Greek letter organizations for instance yet only but a scant few Blacks can get together and build one business? Asians and Hispanics come together to create businesses but not native born Black Americans.

Today I read a comment in a HBCU group from a Black man about why do we, Black folks, support Black Greek letter organizations with our money but these organizations can't even build businesses around HBCU campuses. A lot of HBCUs (and PWIs) are in ghettos so the real estate is cheap but many Black organizations have no vision.

I didn't know about the Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union. That's outstanding. I agree with you.

:heh: Wait how did we get tossed into the fire in a thread about the Vanishing Family.

If you didn't know about our credit union when its plastered right on our national website, then I don't know why you feel the need to speak on BGLOs. We have the credit union, bigger better business program and a host of other programs. Obama started the My Brothers Keeper program. We started the I Am My Brothers Keeper Initiative. We just gave Howard $500,000 a few years ago. We regularly donate to colleges and give away scholarships across the country.

Every org donates wads of cash.

Every BGLO hosts marches, tutors kids - pretty much everything you expect of a community based organization. You, y'all, the folks who claim to be woke, just don't show up to events. On the college level and in the community at large, attendance at educational events is piss poor.

We run corporations, hold positions in government - we do everything asked of us. There is not one facet of black life on any level, good or bad, that is not represented by a BGLO. Loretta Lynch - Delta. Sandra Bland - SGRho. John Lewis - Sigma. If I'm not mistaken, the Alpha's claim that they have the most black college presidents, historically. I mean, even the police chief that took over in Ferguson to temper the riots was a Kappa.

Can we do more, of course. However don't think that just because our name isn't on something that we aren't actively behind it and supporting it. Rustik Tavern in NY is owned by one of my bros, but you wouldn't know that because it's not plastered on the window.

We're out here. We support. You just have to do your research.