The Vanishing Family (1986) has things gotten worse?

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I was saying that the docu immediately went to the "What about Black vs Black" angel, and that off the bat, at the very beginning of the docu, the Black woman was already trying to dismiss racism completely. As if to quell any sort of White Guilt any viewers were gonna have or something. I found that interesting.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
That's what bothered me about the docu. I didn't watch the whole thing, but from the onset the participants made it very clear to not "blame race". SMH. These docus(while interesting) will always cater to the White viewers. Don't want to step on their toes with all that "race talk". The only race talk that was acceptable in that vid, was if it made Blacks as a whole look bad. So many stereotypes, and silliness was purposefully honed on in that vid, as to make it seem like all inner-city Blacks felt this way. Off the bat, they had the insatiable Black male, and his overt sexuality. And women who felt "they didn't need a man". SMH......No inbetween in this docu. I'm sure there were men in women in that neighborhood who probably had kids out of wedlock that were still together, or if not together, were still cordial, or weren't living breathing stereotypes or weren't silly acting people. Just people who made mistakes.

KamalaJones

Banned
Daps
The documentary tells the truth about where most Black Americans have went. Over 70% of Black kids are raised in single parent homes, Black marriage is now virtually made of Blacks with college educations, Black Americans are the poorest racial/ethnic group in the U.S., etc. All of these facts are interrelated and not White folks fault.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Black people need to accept that our definition of "family" is not going to be a married couple with children. While it's a great set-up, we don't really form the proper relationships/friendships with each other to pull it off properly, imo. We need to keep our children out of poverty and I believe we can achieve this through multi-generational living and just general common sense.

I am NOT pro single mothers. I am NOT anti-marriage either, but we need to be realistic.
:sadcam:

KamalaJones

Banned
Daps
Black people need to accept that our definition of "family" is not going to be a married couple with children. While it's a great set-up, we don't really form the proper relationships/friendships with each other to pull it off properly, imo. We need to keep our children out of poverty and I believe we can achieve this through multi-generational living and just general common sense.

I am NOT pro single mothers. I am NOT anti-marriage either, but we need to be realistic.

And, this is what's wrong with most Black Americans. Low expectations; no hope; no standards. Multi-generational living but most of the kids are being raised by women so the kids will be living with multiple generations of Black women who each have a net worth of like $5. How in the hell will these children not be impoverished?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
The documentary tells the truth about where most Black Americans have went. Over 70% of Black kids are raised in single parent homes, Black marriage is now virtually made of Blacks with college educations, Black Americans are the poorest racial/ethnic group in the U.S., etc. All of these facts are interrelated and not White folks fault.
How is poverty not intertwined with White Supremacy? Especially in the case with Black Americans who have been poor over multiple generations? Alot of the folks in that program were on welfare and other programs implemented by the federal government. Why even bring up poverty at all if you're not gonna tell the whole story? Why talk about the history(this docu came out 30yrs ago and alot of the young parents in this docu were born in the 60's) of Black poverty, without REALLY talking about the history of Black poverty. Desegregation, housing discrimination, gov't programs designed to keep families apart.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

I know you a good poster, but fukk THAT BULLshyt! We need to make the father into being active with the every day life of their children and promote stable families.

KamalaJones

Banned
Daps
How is poverty not intertwined with White Supremacy? Especially in the case with Black Americans who have been poor over multiple generations? Alot of the folks in that program were on welfare and other programs implemented by the federal government. Why even bring up poverty at all if you're not gonna tell the whole story?

Black Americans have the lowest business creation rate and this is why we're poor not because of White folks. Black folks will spend money and support Black churches and Greek letter organizations for instance yet only but a scant few Blacks can get together and build one business? Asians and Hispanics come together to create businesses but not native born Black Americans.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
of course things have gotten worse...and many fingers can be pointed but whatever....the black american family is looking bleak

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
Black Americans have the lowest business creation rate and this is why we're poor not because of White folks. Black folks will spend money and support Black churches and Greek letter organizations for instance yet only but a scant few Blacks can get together and build one business? Asians and Hispanics come together to create businesses but not native born Black Americans.

Interesting analysis...I need some more perspective on this... @tru_m.a.c your thoughts breh?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Hispanics are willing to work for criminally lower wages, and have home countries that they routinely tarvel to and fro from, when things go really sour. There history in this country is totally diffirent from Black Americans or even American born Latinos. Same with Asian immigrants. Many of which came here with prior education in their host nations. Blacks had their own businesses at one time and had the beginning stages of a self-sustaining Black Economy. Desegregation, put a halt to all of that, and mind you that desegregation happened only 20yrs prior to when this docu was made. Only one generation removed, were those young mothers. The Drug trade, red lining, etc are other factors that took place to put alot of Blacks where they're at. So many major shifts happened to Black Americans in this country between 1966 and 1986(when that docu came out) that hasn't happened to Hispanics or other immigrants. Their histories arent quite like Blacks.

KamalaJones

Banned
Daps
Interesting analysis...I need some more perspective on this... @tru_m.a.c your thoughts breh?

Today I read a comment in a HBCU group from a Black man about why do we, Black folks, support Black Greek letter organizations with our money but these organizations can't even build businesses around HBCU campuses. A lot of HBCUs (and PWIs) are in ghettos so the real estate is cheap but many Black organizations have no vision.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know you a good poster, but fukk THAT BULLshyt! We need to make the father into being active with the every day life of their children and promote stable families.
I agree BUT does that mean he needs to be married to the mother? NO!! It does mean that him and the mother will need to have a positive relationship. This baby mother baby father bullshyt has to stop.

KamalaJones

Banned
Daps
Hispanics are willing to work for criminally lower wages, and have home countries that they routinely tarvel to and fro from, when things go really sour. There history in this country is totally diffirent from Black Americans or even American born Latinos. Same with Asian immigrants. Many of which came here with prior education in their host nations. Blacks had their own businesses at one time and had the beginning stages of a self-sustaining Black Economy. Desegregation, put a halt to all of that, and mind you that desegregation happened only 20yrs prior to when this docu was made. Only one generation removed, were those young mothers. The Drug trade, red lining, etc are other factors that took place to put alot of Blacks where they're at. So many major shifts happened to Black Americans in this country between 1966 and 1986(when that docu came out) that hasn't happened to Hispanics or other immigrants. Their histories arent quite like Blacks.

So, what's stopping Black folks now? Maybe if more native born Black Americans valued education their kids could learn something because the schools they attend would have fewer behavioral problems. And, behavioral problems is what really sinks majority Black public schools. Experienced teachers won't put up with kids who misbehave, kids who misbehave won't learn, so naturally they do poorly on standardized tests.

I also see groups of people of other ethnic/racial groups coming together to create businesses. But, native born Black Americans act as if they can't do this.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
Today I read a comment in a HBCU group from a Black man about why do we, Black folks, support Black Greek letter organizations with our money but these organizations can't even build businesses around HBCU campuses. A lot of HBCUs (and PWIs) are in ghettos so the real estate is cheap but many Black organizations have no vision.

I am a brother of Phi Beta Sigma so that is a very interesting perspective that I never heard or thought of before..My organization in particular has a credit union that is open to Sigmas and Zetas (Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union - Home) which I think is a more plausible strategy then outright buying property for rent..Most of these organizations are already endanger of getting sued out of existence so im not sure buying property around HBCUs, especially for the purpose of renting in which there would be an increase liability, is the answer. I do believe that our organizations could do a better job in promoting black business patronage though..But when you have other black groups like #BlackLivesMatter that advocate against buying black and even black nuclear family unit, it makes it more difficult..I like your analysis though, very interesting