This video proves how cringey the 90s superthug era was

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
There was a great thread talking about how rappers had to switch up their images around 1992/1993. All of a sudden, everybody was wearing dark clothes, skull caps, and army boots.

Shooting music videos in sewers or poorly lit warehouses swinging around lamps. :russ:

Looking at the camera like :hhh: while entire crews were standing around them like :birdman:, only saying something when it was time to scream the hook.

Non-gangsta rappers were talking about shooting you in the face, on the same album where they might talk about love or educating the youth. :russ:
I remember that thread breh :russ:

And nobody was grimier than Das Efx. They aren’t just from the streets. They were from under the streets
:dead:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

And nobody was grimier than Das Efx. They aren’t just from the streets. They were from under the streets

The "They Want EFX" video is exactly what I'm talking about. :russ:

Those guys were in the sewers making references to old commercials and nursery rhymes while holding torches. :russ:

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This was the era where the label told you who you had to be. There was no other outlets for you and contractually your options were do it or sit on the shelf until they dropped you as a tax write off and you never got another look to do music again.

Rough ass times because labels just copied whatever was hot way worse than now so it was always super obvious.

Don't under estimate how many dikkriders there are too. Happens in every genre, in every time period, one act get popular and and everyone swagger jack their style thinking the come-up will be similar.

Versace Joffrey

Long luscious locks, let em flow
Daps
Reppin
West of Nowhere

Those guys were in the sewers making references to old commercials and nursery rhymes while holding torches. :russ:

From another thread:russ:
Growing up, I thought New York was terrifying in general. Like everything I knew about NY I got from TV. Das Efx running around in the sewers and shyt...New York nikkas be in the sewers? :merchant:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
I remember hearing about after 92 everyone had to become a fictional superthug mean mugger. Hip Hop brehs went from clean ass flat tops to bald heads and sometimes locs within a year or two:russ:

This vid is from a group called Raw Breed, look how cringe this shyt was:mjlol:

Also, what was with rappers and those weird ass voices back then?

Another cringe ass video. The mean mugging, big ass chain :laff:

Sad thing is, once this era began it never stopped:francis:

These are all of these drill rapper’s fathers, uncles etc and now they’re just repeating the cycle.

Hip hop needs a renaissance :mjcry:

No they aren’t. These are failed lames who put on an act to fit with the times. Onyx, Mobb Deep, Da Youngstas, Illegal all fit in that mold(yea mobb made good music but they were still ballerinas and doing synchronized dancing in their pre infamy videos) These drill rappers actually about that life these old goofies rap about. That’s exactly why CB4 was so popular when it dropped. 91-93 NY rap was awful btw

Last edited:

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
This was the era where the label told you who you had to be. There was no other outlets for you and contractually your options were do it or sit on the shelf until they dropped you as a tax write off and you never got another look to do music again.

Rough ass times because labels just copied whatever was hot way worse than now so it was always super obvious.

No lies told. I remember PM Dawn had to fight against record execs trying to make them into hardcore rappers.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

People bit them.
As they were the communications act gateway premier artists and group.
Originally they were a slow burn twelve inch group. Where it took six months for anyone in general.
to know they existed and they were super polished above any one other than later possibly lons.
In the whole world. Given the erosion ans degradation from the roxanne era to the new school way of thought that plagued everything in general.
That when toys bit them. From wack nikkaz to cube. They unjustily took the brunt of all the wack toys who bit. When maybe they should have defended the culture. Yet the large influx of toys from the prison industrial economy. Made the stop gap and ironically their whole sewer tunnel was flooded with wack toy upon wack toy. They were literally forced to abandon. The underground arena they etched out for themselves. Beatnuts and del got them and twista up outta there culturally. Except before that das efx was a victim of circumstance of being that good. Plus brilliantly next level from a group dynamic. It was not their fault the entire government and its league of trash company subsidiaries. Used them and made them responsible for a gateway. They never intended. Das efx was literally used to blow sumfin up outta their control. Then had to take full blame for not taking full cultural responsibility for their content and direction. When for the time.
Originally As a group they were the only real talented next level group in the world. Who worked their way up..to show and prove at the actual singular showcase.
in their local area that provided them with once in a lifetime resources.
To be known beyond that one fateful showcase.
that just so happened to showcase epmd there.
Also you have to properly vet whom you work with in the new school way of thought. Which they did not. As parrish was also ripping them and even sermon off. Which lead to an untimely split. That culturally sermon's hit squad was given the cultural nod. As parrish had administration that ripped the entire collective of rap's last new gateway stars in half. Where the artist who created the energy.
to get a record deal from one appearance in k solo. That everything moving forward after knick knack patty wack is based on. Plus as a group das efx were that next level dope. That everything was misappropriated wrongly as well.

Das efx was caught in a shyt storm of vile administrative practices.
Unbeknownest from not properly vetting culturally. Whom they were aligned with.
from warner and elektra to parrish smith.
That the flood gates of toys. From the prison industrial economy and communications act.
were to large and impactful for them to navigate or properly vet. Let alone survive from.

It was a perfect storm of misappropriation.
Based around the new marketing of birth of a nation meets prison industrial economy and communications act.
then mass produced. That no man since then is safe from.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Versace Joffrey

Long luscious locks, let em flow
Daps
Reppin
West of Nowhere
Even rich white boys were on that superthug shyt :russ:

Look at Scott Caan with the bandana:russ:

R.f1ee2b3987091bbce25f5d3f19fbb343